Thread: RMC6 and StrongVPN not recording stream

Default RMC6 and StrongVPN not recording stream

Hello

Does anyone know the settings to make RMC6 work to record stream with StrongVPN?

Someone who has actually used StrongVPN with RMC6 and had success recording stream would be helpful.
    thanks

=======

Applian tech support sent this, and still wont work-

Sorry that you are having troubles with Replay Media Catcher.
    Replay Media Catcher uses a proxy + certificate system to allow for downloading of videos over HTTPS connections. We have seen a few customers who have conflicting proxy settings which seem to be interfering when our software runs.

1. With RMC not running, please go to Control Panel\Network and Internet
    2. Click Internet Options.
    3. In the Internet Properties window, click the Connections tab.
    4. Near the bottom, click the "LAN settings" button which will open a Local Area Network (LAN) Settings window.

If not already selected, click the "Use a proxy server for your LAN" checkbox, then click the Advanced button. In the Proxy Settings window, delete the address and Port information for the HTTP and Secure lines. Click OK to save the changes. You might get an warning about the settings being blank which is fine, so click Yes. Click OK to close the LAN Settings and Internet Properties windows.

Also, in the Local Area Network (LAN) Settings window, make sure there is no address in the "Use automatic configuration script" field.

Now, when RMC runs, it should be able to set its own proxy settings correctly for accessing the internet and HTTPS content.
    ====

With VPNs, the first thing to ensure is that you are using the Applian Network Monitor. Not all VPN services will work though. If you are using Applian Network Monitor, then you need to know if general stuff will work, please try pandora.com to get some music (since Pandora so far doesn't use https). If you cannot download from Pandora while using the Applian Network Monitor, then we most likely don't support that VPN. VPN services known to work are Cienen, StrongVPN, and VPNinja, according to customers, but there might be others.

Default Re: RMC6 and StrongVPN not recording stream

Are you referring to using RMC6 in auto mode to download any detected stream? If so, I use RMC6 with StrongVPN to do this. I don't have a proxy server set up in LAN settings (its set to Automatically Detect Settings). My ISP is Comcast - not sure if that makes any difference.

The one thing I did have to do to make this work was in the RMC settings, under Internet downloads. I had to have Network Monitor selected as the method for auto detection, if I try using WinPcap I couldn't get it to work.

Hope this helps

Hello & thanks for trying to help. I dont know what "using RMC6 in auto mode" is referring to in settings?. How did you "not" setup proxy in LAN settings and how to set it to AUTO detect. I understand network monitor and i have installed & use this.

Can you please explain settings , thank you again & sorry for delay in responding to your post.

When you start RMC6 you should be on the Home Screen. First thing you need to do is make sure that the Capture Method is set for Stream Downloader. It probably is by default but to confirm make sure that the left most icon in the top right of your window shows a cloud with a white arrow. You should also see a button just to the left of the Home tab on the top left of the window with the word AUTO next to it.

If you select that button it should turn green and you are now set to automatically record and video stream in other windows that RMC detects.

To turn off proxy LAN settings follow the instructions you got from Applian Tech Support above but when you get to the Connections tab make sure that your VPN shows up in the Dial-Up and VPN Settings box. Select your VPN and hit settings. In the pop up settings screen I have done of the options selected under Automatic Configuration or Proxy Server. The Dial Up settings contain my StrongVPN credentials.

Select OK and you are back at the Connections TAB for Internet Properties. Select the LAN Settings button. On this screen I have the Automatically detect settings option checked but no others.

These settings on my Computer allow me to record streams when connected to StrongVPN.

Note that I do not try to capture https streams (only http) so I cannot guarantee that these settings will work for all streams.

Is there some particular site you are trying to capture from?

Mike,
    Your info is very valuable and I really appreciate the details. I have nothing in the Dial-Up and VPN Settings box. Next to box is Add VPN..& ADD buttons..Add vpn goes to "create a vpn connection" window, with place for setup internet connection or Ill setup an internet connection later buttons, im lost from there . Also what protocol are you using please..TCP/IP or L2TP or etc?(not sure if i wrote them correctly)..thank you

* As far as a particular site to record you asked, it wont record anything from any site .
    Last edited by win77oss; 07-16-2015 at 10:54 AM.

Let's step back for a minute. A few questions:

1. Are you able to capture any video streams with RMC when you are not connected to the VPN?

2. Are you using StrongVpn to access video streams in another country? (If it's not too pushy - what is your native country and which country do you connect to with StrongVPN?)

Assuming the answers to the above are both Yes then when you connect your computer to the VPN are you able to view the videos?

3. How did you configure your VPN when you got your account info from StrongVpn - did you use their installation client or did you try to configure manually?

4. What version of Windows are you running?

In answer to your protocol question - I connect using PPTP. TCP/IP is an underlying protocol that is used by both PPTP and L2TP, it is the transmission protocol used for all Internet communication with or without a VPN