Thread: Best recording setting?

Default Best recording setting?

Hi,

I'm pretty new to this software, but I really like it a lot. I've been tinkering with it a bit, but can't seem to find the perfect settings for me, hopefully someone can help me. I prefer to use predefined settings, in stead of just letting RVC 'figure it out'.

What settings should I use when recording an 720p/1080p stream? I mean what format (avi/mpeg-2/...), bitrate, framerate, etc...
    I have a 'high-end' pc, so I'm in no need for the settings for slow pc's. (Intel i7-3400K, 8GB ram, etc...)

What settings should I use when recording a screencast of my work? I often do retouching tutorials and my screen size is 1920*1200 pixels. What are the optimal settings for making an 1080p video to upload on YouTube and the likes? Once again i'm looking for format, bitrate, framerate and such.

Thanks a bunch! I haven't been able to find the right settings, the files are always choppy or what not, so I'm calling on your wisdom!

Cheers,
    MM

Default Re: Best recording setting?

Normally I use MPEG 2 and the recommended bitrate for what I'm recording. You select that from within the settings. Experiment to see what works best with your system as each computer and Internet connection is different. Do a fresh boot of your syste prior to doing a recording and record using a small screen.

Hi,

Can you let me know from the drop down boxes in the settings, which one is better for recording the best quality video and rank them from best to worst quality? Is it:

1) Mpeg-2
    2) Mpeg-2 Full Screen
    3) MP4

Also, I'm trying to figure out if MP4 is better than Mpeg-2 or not when it comes to video quality.

Thanks,

Mike

Each system is different and each person views a file differently. Personally I use MPEG 2 and record in the smallest screen possible. I feel that offers the best quality

It makes sense to me to capture a DVD with a window size of approximately 640x480 pixels but I think you would lose quality if you "record in the smallest screen possible".

On the other hand, many videos (Netflix, for example) are being streamed in HD formats with resolutions much better than standard DVD (640x480) quality. If the computer can handle the processing load, shouldn't the Replay Video Capture window be sized to match the native resolution of the video stream?