Thread: WinPcap and Replay Media Suite

Question WinPcap and Replay Media Suite

I recently purchased the Replay Media Catcher Suite and during the installation process, WinPcap 4.1.3 was installed and the checkbox to automatically start the WinPcap driver at boot time was checked. I unchecked the checkbox and installed all of the remaining software in the suite.

What is WinPcap, is it required to run the Replay Media Catcher Suite, and if so, how do I start it? If it is not required, can I uninstall it?

Default Re: WinPcap and Replay Media Suite

WinPCap is a file that helps you find network adapters. Most systems do need it to work the various programs. I personally would suggest you keep it.

As in DaveN's unanswered question, ". . . how do I start" WinPcap? (I did exactly what he did during installation.)

I researched it and found that it is useful. I see in Media Catcher 5 Settings > Internet > Monitor, under Ports to Monitor there is a "Use WinPcap" radio button (permanently set by default).

Does that mean WinPcap will run when Media Catcher is started, or do I need make an entry for it in the Registry or put it in my Startup folder?

Do any other Replay Media Suite applications benefit from WinPcap?

Thanks!

In case if you are wondering, "WinPcap" is basically a safe plugin. It is used primarily on Wireshark. It allows your NIC to operate in promiscuous mode.

WinPcap is what monitors for network traffic. RMC5 grabs that traffic and searches for streaming media. When installing WinPcap, you need to make sure that the "automatically start the WinPcap driver at boot time" checkbox is checked. From the WinPcap documentation I have read, there is no easy way to startup WinPcap otherwise (and RMC won't work without something watching the network traffic).