Thread: Rename and Tagging not working properly

Default Rename and Tagging not working properly

Hey guys, first of all, your product is awesome.
    I found some minor bugs that you would like to take a look at.
    I'm using vista and "FireFox portable" with flash 8 plugin to force pandora to mp3 mode.

When running one instance of pandora everything seems to work fine but as I start opening more instances the rename to mp3 fails some times and the song stays as m4a, even though this is pandora+flash8 so only mp3 is coming down.

The other thing that fails under heavy load is the tagging, I guess it fails when there are two or more simultaneous songs doing tag lookup at the same time or it is when the CPU load is high.

Capturing from 15 simultaneous pandora instances on a core2duo is failing lookups every 6 songs or so. tuning it down to 10 instances it get a failure every 20 or so, but I think it has a lot to do with multiple songs starting at the same time.
    On an old athlon 1.2ghz I cant even get 2 instances working properly.

At this intense rate the tagging also stops working after a couple hours and I have to restart RMC.

Accentuated chars on the filename and tags are not working either, I assume you are interpreting your input as ascii and it seems to be unicode:
    Blue Öyster Cult - Cities on Flame With Rock & Roll
    Mötley Crüe - Looks That Kill

I also have a feature ask, make an option to delete or replace the song if you already have it.
    I'm ending up with tons of "duplicated(2)" songs.

Keep the good stuff coming,
    Thanks,
    Fábio.

PS: I'm using RMC3.01
    Last edited by Fabiosan; 12-06-2008 at 11:03 PM.

Default RE: Tagging

My best guess is the funny characters are related to Unicode issues and that the rename is using ANSI, rather than Unicode. Just my two cents - I too would love to see it fixed.

On renaming. It is at times sporadic on success, if the file remains a .tmp (though the transfer completed, just that RMC thought it was interupted) it won't rename. I find myself performing about 20-30 manual renames after a night of recording Last.Fm or Jango.Com.

That being said, the API being used by Applian (MusicDNS) is external and can have their own issues. I saw an instance last week when their service was down and of course that translated to my captures not renaming using RMC. That can't be helped too much live, but it would be nice to have another thread that ran through the non-renamed captures and tried again.

The other item that I see a lot with Jango is that the transfer is "Aborted" - it isn't the file completed, but the UI won't let you rename the .tmp with an aborted status and while it says "sometimes this happens" it really is more in the range of 10-20%.

I'm not prepared to file a bug, without more details and steps on my end to provide to Andy/Tasha - but thought I'd add these observations and insight into the process of how the MP3's are tagged so people understand that it isn't entirely within Applian's control.

One more observation.
    After a few hours running RMC ui stopped showing new songs being captured, but they were (1000 of them), and they kept the temp name 1ADA097B_.mp3

You could have another tool to rename and tag songs outside of the capture process, would be useful now that I have 1k untagged songs.

Now that you mention that, I've noticed it too.

I'll often leave Last.Fm and Jango.com (many tabs) on over night to capture.

Generally I'll wake up to a queue of 30+ songs that need to manually be resolved with Music DNS. However, many songs not listed are resolved in the directory.

When I watch the filenames in the listview of RMC, they seem to be re-used (and get the (2), (3), etc appended.)

I've even seen this manually, when I resolve, rename and Accept - then the file disappears and a new capture starts (this, generally, using the Web Stream dumper)

Just more information.

I love the work that Andy and Tasha are doing - if not for their efforts and success, we wouldn't have the opportunity to complain about these annoyances.

I'm not sure if this is the same complaint as the above people but I recently just downloaded replay music v3.45 -- I've tried using it with firefox and IE but it doesn't tag any of my music and that just really gets annoying since I left it on overnight on slacker.com and now have so many songs without tags

Ditto here, with last.fm. It seems to happen the longer it's running. It will complete the file but save it with the WEBDUMP_000.tmp (sometimes appending numbers, which I thought might be the same songs replaying? ), and out of order (i.e., time could read 20:12 and next song records at 18:22). Right now at this moment, it's gotten to the point where it keeps using the same file to record each song--it just keep re-recording over the .tmp file over and over. I get no error messages.

Sorry, I'm not very technically inclined, if you need more info let me know.

If you are getting a file that ends with .tmp it means that it is an incomplete file. Sometimes you will need to recapture certain files when you are using the web stream dumper.

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein
    Applian Technologies, Inc.