Thread: YouTube, Network Monitor or WinPcap?

Default YouTube, Network Monitor or WinPcap?

Network Monitor fails to download some YouTube videos. Check
    http://applian.com/replay-media-catc...ernet-settings.

I am not on a VPN and I don't really know what that is, I was using the wrong network driver. I am now using WinPcap.

The problem occurred because WinPcap was installed by Replay Media Catcher 5 installer, but the option was not checked in the settings and couldn't be checked, which lead me to install Network Monitor. I needed to manually uninstall WinPcap (and Network Monitor) from Windows 8 Programs and Features, restart computer, start Replay Media Catcher 5, go to Settings, and reinstall WinPcap. No need to uninstall Replay Media Catcher 5.

Default Re: YouTube, Network Monitor or WinPcap?

Hey -

A VPN is a virtual private network. When you are using one of these then all network traffic is encrypted. As RMC is monitoring your network connections for media to download it needs to see network traffic that is not encrypted.

Some users use VPN's - 1 for security, but also so they appear in another country and can access geo restricted content.

RMC supplies the Applian Network Monitor and WinPcap. The Applian Network Monitor hooks into the network stack at a certain level so that it can see most VPNs network traffic. Network monitor is an NDIS6 driver. Winpcap can not see any VPN solutions network traffic from what Im aware of based on how it hooks into the network stack. Winpcap is used by lots of other network monitoring type software. For the Network Monitor the driver is actually made by a 3rd party and is also used in lots of other application such as AntiVirus software.

By default RMC will use Winpcap. The reason for this is that it is not actually a "driver" and therefore is lighter weight and causes less installation issues for users.

Browser based VPN solutions use SSL (https) and it all happens in the browser, not the network stack so if your trying to use one of them then your out of luck as all traffic is encrypted much higher up. With these types of solutions only the browser traffic is encrypted so they arnt really a true VPN solution.

For those users who want to use a VPN - use the Network Monitor. For others use WinPcap which is the default. You can switch which one you want to use via settings > internet.

If the only reason your using a VPN is to get around Geo restrictions on the content you want to watch then id would recommend you use a dns proxy service like unblock-us.com. Works a treat and much less over head on your computer and network connection.

HTH

- CRS