Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Error msg: "This application requires access to the internet"

Default Re: Error msg: "This application requires access to the internet"

Hello! Where in the Applian FAQ does this appear? I can't see it.

My Replay Media Catcher has stopped working today after years of use with the above error and I need a fix for this. Think Applian should also handle this error in a rather more user-friendly way, or reconsider how they validate credentials once someone has registered, as this is making my paid-for software unusable.

Quote Originally Posted by mdb View Post
    Hello! Where in the Applian FAQ does this appear? I can't see it.

My Replay Media Catcher has stopped working today after years of use with the above error and I need a fix for this. Think Applian should also handle this error in a rather more user-friendly way, or reconsider how they validate credentials once someone has registered, as this is making my paid-for software unusable.
    Same here - software stopped working sometime between about 2 and 10 hours ago after working fine for years and no known change at my end. (I used it just before switching off the PC and went to use it again straight after I'd turned it back on).

Have logged an issue with CS but no reply yet.

going by browser to https://secure.applian.com gives the following message:
    The server's security certificate is revoked!
    You attempted to reach secure.applian.com, but the certificate that the server presented has been revoked by its issuer. This means that the security credentials the server presented absolutely should not be trusted. You may be communicating with an attacker.
    Back to safety
    Help me understand
    When you connect to a secure website, the server hosting that site presents your browser with something called a "certificate" to verify its identity. This certificate contains identity information, such as the address of the website, which is verified by a third party that your computer trusts. By checking that the address in the certificate matches the address of the website, it is possible to verify that you are securely communicating with the website you intended, and not a third party (such as an attacker on your network).

In this case, the certificate presented to your browser has been revoked by its issuer. This usually means that the integrity of this certificate has been compromised, and that the certificate should not be trusted.
    I'm believing that at the moment - an error with the sites certificate would be an issue at Applian's end, not mine.

I am getting the same problem. If many users are experiencing the same difficulty it obviously indicates that Applian has a problem not us. I am patiently waiting for this to be fixed.

Yes, searching for the use of that server, there's an FAQ that states:

"FAQ: I receive an error when entering my registration code: Unexpected error trying to get license: Unable to connect to the remote licensing server. Please ensure secure.applian.com is not blocked by your firewall...

Response: Replay Media Catcher needs to access the licensing server in order to activate. Sometimes security software can block that connection. If you receive this error, make sure that your firewall or other security software is allowed a connection to the domain secure.applian.com. If you're unsure of how to add this exception to your firewall or other security software, please see the documentation for the security program you're using."

So if the domain secure.applian.com becomes unavailable - as per the above - then all client software becomes entirely unusable! This is a cracking design flaw - Applian's website being down or in this case having lost its digital certificate - shouldn't result in all of its customers being affected by that outage. But clearly it does.

Presume we have to wait for someone in Applian to realise their digital certificate has been revoked and hope they sort it out quickly. They need to reconsider what is a single point of failure in their design.

I notice that Applian is based in California, and not the biggest company going off their 'meet the team' pictures. So given that media capture is seldom life-or-death they probably work fairly normal (for IT) office hours and won't be in the office for another 3-5 hours...

To be fair, as it's not critical software and certificates can run for years it's probably not an issue that needs serious back-up and contingency plans, though a secondary server would be a good idea.

Cool Re: Error msg: "This application requires access to the internet"

Unfortunately it seems to be that the server that validates our product registrations has been compromised, or just needs to be re-booted. This problem has occurred several times in the past, and Applian fixed it rather quickly, during regular business hours of course.

Aloha from Hawaii where it is always summer!
    Last edited by endyr; 08-16-2013 at 07:36 AM.

I have followed the instructions on the FAQs but am still not able to able to access Replay Media Catcher 5.

Sorry that you are having troubles with Replay Media Catcher. We are experiencing troubles with our server which is causing tis issue with Replay Media Catcher. Our developers are aware of this and looking into this. It should be resolved soon.

Sorry for any inconvenience.
    Best regards,

Shellie
    Technical Support
    Applian Technologies, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellie Heggenberger View Post
    Sorry that you are having troubles with Replay Media Catcher. We are experiencing troubles with our server which is causing tis issue with Replay Media Catcher. Our developers are aware of this and looking into this. It should be resolved soon.
    And indeed it has been resolved!