Thread: After downloading FLV Player, Yahoo! took control of everything. How do we get it off Firefox Menu?

Default After downloading FLV Player, Yahoo! took control of everything. How do we get it off Firefox Menu?

A few days ago I dnlded your FLV Player for Windows 7. Along with it came a Yahoo toolbar and other Yahoo junk that attached itself to my whole system and took control -- the Firefox menu, as a search toolbar, etc. I uninstalled it through Control Panel, but it still shows up in Firefox and continues to take control of my browser. It has caused additional problems throughout my system. A tech at Verizon spent a half hour trying to get rid of it but could not without going into the registry and he was not willing to do that. Is anyone at Applian listening? This is a big problem and it should not have happened. Please tell me how to get the Yahoo toolbar/add-on/plug-in/whatever it is completely out of my system.
    Last edited by Jeff Lenney; 04-27-2013 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Correcting Spelling in Subject Title

Default Re: After dnldng FLV Player, Yahoo! took control of everything. How do we get it off Firefox Menu?

Go to view and select to now show. Also, disable any add ons in your add on area of Firefox.

Default Re: After dnldng FLV Player, Yahoo! took control of everything. How do we get it off Firefox Menu?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Wester View Post
    Go to view and select to now show. Also, disable any add ons in your add on area of Firefox.
    Thanks. But that's too easy. Those were the first actions taken. Next, it was uninstalled via Control Panel. It does not show up in add-on, nor in the list in Control Panel. Yet it still displays in the Firefox Menu, and it randomly takes control of searches. Again, Verizon tech support took control of my system and could not find a way to remove what remains. This is a huge failure by Applian for even allowing such an attachment to automatically be added unless we catch it in the setup process and proactively choose not to allow it. This is fundamental, smacks of juvenile behavior and has been avoided by many suppliers of software for a long time. The least Applian could do is proactively provide instructions for its users re how to remove these commercial pranks. This problem has now cost far more in time/effort/money than the application is worth. And the bad press for Applian on this is certainly not worth it to their reputation to continue with this type of behavior.

I'm sorry you are having a problem uninstalling. It does give you the option to opt out when installing. I don't know why yours is not going away. This is extremely unusual. A suggestion is to do a system restore.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Wester View Post
    I'm sorry you are having a problem uninstalling. It does give you the option to opt out when installing. I don't know why yours is not going away. This is extremely unusual. A suggestion is to do a system restore.
    A system restore is too drastic. This computer is used 99% for business and doing a system restore for what should have been a very minor bit of joy in a sea of serious business work is too risky. The option should NOT have been to opt out of the Yahoo! junk. The option should have been to opt in. Attacking potentially loyal customers with such an opt-out juvenile prank should have been beneath any professional standards employed by Applian. Moreover, no one from Applian has made an effort to contact me and try to get their junk off of my system. Total failure by Applian on all counts.

I have been trying to help you. This is not for help but for suggestions. If you need further assistance please contact tech support with all of the details and what you have tried and not tried. Thanks. It is a free player and we can not keep giving out free without generating funds to support it. The toolbar is one of the ways and it clearly shows you that you can opt out.

Okay, things may be getting back to normal. After I unwittingly allowed Yahoo in during the initial install it embedded itself into the Firefox Menu and elsewhere and continued to take control randomly even after it was formally "uninstalled." My whole system finally crashed so I had no choice but to do a system restore, which finally, and successfully, eliminated Yahoo's grip on everything. The Applian FLV Player is my favorite and I prefer to continue with it. Thanks.

This happens a lot on a standard install. Best practice would be to verify everything first before hitting on "next".

How do I get the old player back? I got screwed by this also and had to do a system restore!

We are no longer offering the older player. Thanks. We only offer this one at the present time.