PDA

View Full Version : CAP files

jkorchok
03-21-2008, 08:25 AM
I am using AV8 fully updated on Windows XP SP2 to record radio programs.
Issues:
1. I can't get programs to convert to any other format. They only record as .asf files. This is not a huge issue, as I can still listen to them with Windows Media Player and it turns out the .asf files are smaller anyway.
2. About 20% of the time, AV8 produces a .cap file instead of an .asf file. I can't open this with anything or convert it to anything. What's going on and what can I do about it?

John

singerm
03-21-2008, 09:34 AM
jkorchok writes:
CAP files
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am using AV8 fully updated on Windows XP SP2 to record radio programs.
Issues:
1. I can't get programs to convert to any other format. They only record as .asf files. ...
2. About 20% of the time, AV8 produces a .cap file instead of an .asf file. I can't open this with anything or convert it to anything. What's going on and what can I do about it?

John

Do you have the full AV8 suite?
You say AV8 fully updated.

I'm no expert but (I own the full suite) why don't you capture the audio as it is playing then save it under any format you want?

jkorchok
03-22-2008, 11:32 AM
I do have the full suite. I do capture the stream as it is playing. Normally AV8 saves an .asf file, then converts it to your specified format. I am saying that sometimes AV8 saves it as a .cap file rather than an .asf. I am also saying that I cannot convert to other formats, it's not working either automatically or manually.

Cheryl Wester
03-22-2008, 09:49 PM
Hi

A CAP file is a temporary file. You could get this if the program stops prematurely or there is an error or a hiccup in the stream capture. Most of the time all you need to do is rename the extension to what it was suppose to be, such as .mp3 or .asf, and it will correct the problem.

singerm
03-23-2008, 09:14 AM
I did get a Cap file. If I remember, I simply launched 'Replay Converter' and converted the file.

jkorchok
03-24-2008, 08:09 AM
Renaming the .cap file to .asf worked. Thanks!
Replay Convertor did not, Replay Convertor does not seem to work at all on my system.