PDA

View Full Version : Two Problems

Hungabumba
11-02-2008, 12:57 AM
Hello,

at the moment I'm comparing WMR and RMC to check out, whitch does the better job for me and it seems that RMC makes the grade. But there are 2 problems:

1. RMC does not catch the flv on this site: http://rtl-now.rtl.de/wwm.php (other sites work).
For testing chose one of the free (kostenlos) vids.

2. WMR saves windows media files as wmv, but RMC saves the same files as asf. The Problem: you can't navigate in the asf files :mad:

Pit

Jeff Lenney
11-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Hi,

I'll try to address both issues for you:

1. I'm assuming that site is in german? Unfortunatley i'm not able to read german, can you give me a direct link to a video so I can test it for you?

2. With regards to Media Catcher files not being navigateable, you can make them seekable which should allow that. :-)

The Seekable option enables the seek bar for a recorded file so you can move forward or backward through the file. However, there are instances when a file cannot be made seekable during recording even if this option is enabled. In this case, you should use the Reprocess option with the Seekable flag enabled.

The opposite is when you record a file that was seekable but you want to make it non-seekable. This may force your audience to see the entire clip. In this case, you can Reprocess the file with the seekable flag off.

Sometimes the recorded files don't have a seek bar so you cannot Fast Forward or Rewind. This is usually the case for live streams (Internet TV). If you select the Seekable option (in Settings) before recording, the file will always be saved seekable. Otherwise, you can use the Reprocess function (under the PLAY button) to reprocess the file with the Seekable option enabled. A file with the extension .sek.asf will be created when you reprocess.

I just tried this myself, to test this I did the following: I clicked on view and then loaded my saved windows media files. Easy to check each one with the player if they are seekable or not. For those that were not seekable, I right clicked on the file name and clicked on seekable and in a few seconds I received a successful notification. Did about a half dozen like this and the files are now seekable. The only thing changed was the current date and time of revising the file.

I hope this helps! :-)

Hungabumba
11-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Hi Jeff,

1. I'm assuming that site is in german? Unfortunatley i'm not able to read german, can you give me a direct link to a video so I can test it for you?

But you can find the word "kostenlos" (that means "free" in german) on the given site and click on it, it's just easy... ;-)

The videos are only free for a short time, then you have to pay for it. That's the reason why I didn't post a direct link.

If you select the Seekable option (in Settings) before recording

That's a setting I can find in WMR, but WMR is not the problem. MRC produces the non-seekable files and there's no such setting.

Pit