PDA

View Full Version : Conflicts between RVC and XP Media Center OS

TomHF
10-24-2008, 11:35 AM
I downloaded and installed RVC yesterday and after testing it, I paid for the full license. It worked flawlessly and I was very pleased. As usual, I shut the computer down before retiring last night.

This morning, after rebooting the computer, I began getting a repeating error message saying "Media Center Receiver Service has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." If I click the "send" or "do not send" button, the message comes back a few seconds later.

I then uninstalled the RVC program and the problem went away. To be sure that the program was causing the problem, I reinstalled it a second (and a third) time. The problem does not show up after the initial installation, but starts after the program is installed and then the computer is rebooted.

My system is a Dell Dimension 8400 with the 2005 XP Media Center OS. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a resolution.

TomHF

Some additional information - this conflict seems to have something to do with a file called "ehrecvr.exe". Ideas anyone???

flvrecor3r
10-24-2008, 03:20 PM
This could help...

Tools | Settings | Advanced | Add Ap

Oops, as TomHF correctly points out, I had Media Catcher in mind.

TomHF
10-24-2008, 03:41 PM
This is the Replay Video Capture program that I'm having problems with - there is nothing that even resembles - Tools | Settings | Advanced | Add Ap - in the program.

You must be referring to another Applian program - but thanks for the try anyway.

Tom

ixoxo5
10-26-2008, 12:54 PM
Tom, I've done exactly as you have and getting the same annoying problem. Finally uninstalled it so I can get on with my life and avoid the constant interruptions. Applian tech needs to get back to us on this.

Cheryl Wester
10-26-2008, 02:29 PM
Hi

The developer is looking into this. Thanks for your patience. We will keep you informed as to what can be done regarding this.

TomHF
10-26-2008, 06:45 PM
Tom, I've done exactly as you have and getting the same annoying problem. Finally uninstalled it so I can get on with my life and avoid the constant interruptions. Applian tech needs to get back to us on this.

ixoxo5,
Well it's good to know that I am not alone with this problem. Thanks for posting - Cheryl has contacted me directly and I have been assured that they will either fix the problem or refund the purchase price.

Tom

pbachand
10-27-2008, 08:01 AM
Argh! I just purchased and installed this yesterday and am experiencing the exact same symptoms. Had to un-install the capture program to get Windows MCE to work again.

Cheryl Wester
10-27-2008, 05:58 PM
Please see if using something other than the Universal Audio Driver for Audio corrects the issue. The developer said if you use something other than that you shouldn't have this issue. If you still have an issue after that please contact tech support so we can look into it more fully for you. Thanks.

11-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Cheryl, I purchased the product last Saturday and immediatley lost use of our XP Media center. I too want a refund if this can not be fixed. My husband and I spent several hours already trying to "fix" the problem before we discovered this forum!

cdburdick
11-18-2008, 10:50 PM
Overall, I'm very happy with Applian products and their customer support. I purchased RVC less than 24 hours ago. I tried it out, but I couldn't get the audio to work. So I gave up and was going to try later. In the meantime, I went to use my Windows Media Center, and I kept getting Media Center Receiver Service errors every 10 seconds. A few hours of research produced no answers. Finally I uninstalled RVC, and the message stopped popping up. I thought all was fixed ... I couldn't be more wrong!!!

I've spent the last 6 hours trying to revive my MCE. I ran the setup several times, and all the componants seem to be in place and working. But I can no longer download the Media Guide (I have FiOS TV ... which is an absolutely amazing product!!!) and I keep getting an error message sauing, "Unable to load new guide file. Code: 23." I went to Microsoft and HP (I have an HP m7260n Media Center PC) to research electronic program errors, and none of the suggestions have worked. Besides being unable to load the guide, the live TV isn't working either so I can't even set up a manual recording.

I really like my Replay A/V suite, and thought RMC would be a good addition. But now I've lost the use of the Windows Media Center, which is why I bought the PC in the first place! I am devastated.

It's not even the issue of a refund ... I need to get my PC back and as one poster put it, "get on with my life."

Please. Help me. I'm begging.

metalfixer
11-23-2008, 03:57 AM
Same problem here, RVC with Vista Ultimate , MCE quit working, as well as downloading of programming TV guide updates. After hours of trying to solve the problem of the error message stating "no TV Tuner card found or installed", I removed RVC and everything from Applian. The programming guide updates now, and the MCE works fine.
I would like to install everything again, but....
Is there a reliable solution to the problem?
Thanks, Larry

cdburdick
11-23-2008, 07:25 AM
I'm glad it worked for you ... removing RVC didn't help me, unfortunately. I tried that. The program guide still won't update, and the Media Center is pretty much useless. I deleted the guide files, uninstalled and reinstalled the tuner. Nothing is working. There's a setting somewhere that wasn't restored during the uninstall, and I can't quite identify it.

It seems to be a common problem, I would hope there's a fix out there somewhere. I sent a request to Applian Tech support last week, but I still haven't heard back. That's very disappointing, because they've always responded quickly in the past.

metalfixer
11-23-2008, 10:40 AM
cdburdick,
I had a hard time even getting rid of the desktop shortcut for RVC.
I have been using a registry cleaner for years now, and it might be old, but it works well.
http://www.registry-repair-software.com/
I use it when uninstalling programs and for routine maintenance. It got rid of the desktop RVC icon, and the other problems.
Give it a try. I use the defaults, but set the scans for all users, and you have to run the scans several times to find all the problems.
The explanation for this is that cleaning some registry errors will require that more need to be fixed. When it is down to 1 or 2, it usually signals no
further action required. Hope this helps.
Larry

Cheryl Wester
11-23-2008, 03:11 PM
We pride ourselves on answering our tech support tickets within 24 hours or less. If you have not heard back please send us another note and give us the ticket number to the one we didn't respond to. We would like to track that down. Thanks.

We are aware of some conflicts with Replay Video Capture and Media Center computers. Our developer is working on this issue but at this time I don't know of a solution.

jorusfett
11-30-2008, 11:11 PM
Same problem here.

I pulled my hair out trying to figure out what was wrong with my Media Center. Spent several days trying to narrow down the cause (thought I did something to my Media Center PC). I then went back and uninstalled all the Applian products until the problem was gone. Low and behold, it was Media Catcher.

In the interim, I think I will install Media Catcher on my other PC and just wait for a solution.

Thanks!

Spydr_man
01-21-2009, 08:35 AM
has there been an update as too a fix to this problem just bought this program yesterday and having the same problem with this pop up message

Cheryl Wester
01-21-2009, 06:34 PM
At the present time we don't have a fix for Replay Video Capture and the Media Center systems. Our developer is aware of this issue and when/if he has a fix we'll post it.

Paulhs16
02-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Hi Thanks for leaving the messages. I saw them while testing RVC demo version. I immediately un-installed it from my MCE 2005 System prior to ever re-booting and I did not get the reported problems. Live TV and the EPG still work fine even after a reboot. For those that still have problems recovering there initial MCE systems. Try the MCE / EH rebuild utility that can be found on Microsoft's support site for MCE. This should re-load all the eh processes (MCE) and reset the registry settings.

Gook Luck! Wish I saw a warning about MCE systems on the system requirements page.

Roland
02-07-2009, 04:41 PM
We pride ourselves on answering our tech support tickets within 24 hours or less. If you have not heard back please send us another note and give us the ticket number to the one we didn't respond to. We would like to track that down. Thanks.

We are aware of some conflicts with Replay Video Capture and Media Center computers. Our developer is working on this issue but at this time I don't know of a solution.

Any estimate as to when we might have a resolution?

Nelmedia
03-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Well, the first post on this issue with RVC was back in Oct. of 2008. I received an upgrade (paid of course) to my Replay Suite and installed RVC on my Vista Ultimate machine. Media Center now shows the errors. Constantly. It is a real pain in the rump.
I'm also filing a tech support ticket but am sure I will get the same answer as everyone else has here.
It's been 6 months and no solution... this is very bad PR Applian as I have no choice but to uninstall and also ask for a refund if no fix is evident from your "developer".

Cheryl Wester
03-16-2009, 10:59 AM
I don't know when/if we will have a solution. The developer is working on this but as of now there is not a solution.

metalfixer
06-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Any updates on this?
Thanks, Larry

FireWater
06-16-2009, 01:49 AM
Hi Replay, the "mcm2ve.ax" file located in
"C:\Program Files\Replay Video Capture\Bin" seems to be whats causes the Problem. How to fix it I don't know.

glgl

Cheryl Wester
06-17-2009, 07:19 AM
We are still aware of the issue and the developer has not been able to determine a way around this. Thanks.

papascook
06-25-2009, 06:20 AM
Can we get a refund? I use Media Center and can't use the video capture software as many have indicated. If there has been a solution please let me know? At this time the program is useless to me.
Thanks for your help.

Cheryl Wester
06-25-2009, 08:13 AM
If you have owned the program for less than 30 days please contact customer service and they will issue you a refund if the program is not working with your system.

papascook
06-25-2009, 02:39 PM
I just discovered today that that was the problem with my computer and my Media Center. I haven't used it for a long time becasue nothing was working. There was nothing in the information when I bought it that told that it did not work with Media Center. I purchased it April 28th. You have had the use of my money but I have not had the use of your program. Is is possible to get a refund? I would rather the program worked but it appears there is no way around this problem at this time. Is that right?

papascook
06-25-2009, 02:44 PM
I downloaded and installed RVC yesterday and after testing it, I paid for the full license. It worked flawlessly and I was very pleased. As usual, I shut the computer down before retiring last night.

This morning, after rebooting the computer, I began getting a repeating error message saying "Media Center Receiver Service has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." If I click the "send" or "do not send" button, the message comes back a few seconds later.

I then uninstalled the RVC program and the problem went away. To be sure that the program was causing the problem, I reinstalled it a second (and a third) time. The problem does not show up after the initial installation, but starts after the program is installed and then the computer is rebooted.

My system is a Dell Dimension 8400 with the 2005 XP Media Center OS. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a resolution.

TomHF

Some additional information - this conflict seems to have something to do with a file called "ehrecvr.exe". Ideas anyone???
Yes! Many have had this problem it appears, but we were not notified about this conflict before we purchased the software. There is no fix for this and I agree they should refund our money!

papascook
06-25-2009, 02:47 PM
Yes I had to wipe my computer clean and start over with a "new hard drive" What a pain!!! Spent hours and hours with Dell tech support. The program ruined my computer as well!!:confused:

Cheryl Wester
06-25-2009, 04:39 PM
The program works with most machines and many that are Media Center systems. That is one of the reasons we have a demo so you are able to try it out prior to purchasing. Also, we do have a 30 day money back guarantee.

Regarding a crash-I have never had that reported to me at all. If a person does have an issue then an uninstall should take care of it. Thanks.

If you have owned the program for 30 days or less send in a request for a refund and it will be issued. Thanks.

nkkiegem123
06-25-2009, 11:20 PM
yeah, it works on my computer. http://storeyourpicture.com/images/signature_videoStreaming.jpg

phoggy
08-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Well 2 more lost sales cause of this issue - installed the new demo on 2 separate computers with XP Pro and got the media center conflict on both within a day.
On one, uninstalling and rebooting resolved the problem. On the other even after uninstalling RVC, trying system restores, and trying several fixes from Microsoft, still could not get Windows Media Center to work, and had to reformat my hard drive. :-( .

cdburdick
08-21-2009, 09:15 PM
Update: After weeks of researching and trying to get my MCE to work last year, it became a lost cause. I followed every suggestion to the letter, and it's been useless. I orginally bought the PC to use for the Media Center function. I finally threw in the towel and bought myself a new computer -- something I hadn't planned on doing for a few years.

I was really hoping that Applian would have come up with a fix by now. Maybe I should have asked for a refund while I was still eligible instead of being so patient in waiting for a fix. Your other software products are great, but RVC destroyed the main function of my PC. If I knew there was someone at Applian working on this issue, it would make me feel a tiny bit better. Just a tiny bit ...

Overall, I'm very happy with Applian products and their customer support. I purchased RVC less than 24 hours ago. I tried it out, but I couldn't get the audio to work. So I gave up and was going to try later. In the meantime, I went to use my Windows Media Center, and I kept getting Media Center Receiver Service errors every 10 seconds. A few hours of research produced no answers. Finally I uninstalled RVC, and the message stopped popping up. I thought all was fixed ... I couldn't be more wrong!!!

I've spent the last 6 hours trying to revive my MCE. I ran the setup several times, and all the componants seem to be in place and working. But I can no longer download the Media Guide (I have FiOS TV ... which is an absolutely amazing product!!!) and I keep getting an error message sauing, "Unable to load new guide file. Code: 23." I went to Microsoft and HP (I have an HP m7260n Media Center PC) to research electronic program errors, and none of the suggestions have worked. Besides being unable to load the guide, the live TV isn't working either so I can't even set up a manual recording.

I really like my Replay A/V suite, and thought RMC would be a good addition. But now I've lost the use of the Windows Media Center, which is why I bought the PC in the first place! I am devastated.

It's not even the issue of a refund ... I need to get my PC back and as one poster put it, "get on with my life."

Please. Help me. I'm begging.

phoggy
08-21-2009, 11:56 PM
Amen cdburdick.
For an issue that apparently only involves 1-2 files conflicting with Windows Media Center and is obviously widespread - hard to believe a solution cannot be found.

And don't think this issue doesn't get posted on several websites reviewing the product. Too bad - as otherwise I'd give this software an excellent review.

sawoobley
08-23-2009, 06:39 PM
I found this suggestion from another website and it makes the annoying pop-up warnings disappear but it disables your ability to watch live TV from your cable or satellite provider. However, you could use your replay capture software now. If you wand to use XP windows media center again you will have to uninstall replay video capture. Apparently, windows media center has a file that is always running that hogs the TV tuner and prevents any other video capture software from running at the same time, so the problem is with windows. Here is the temporary fix:

Issue : "Media Center Receiver Service has encountered a problem and needs to close." This error message
pops up every 10 seconds even when we are not using the Media Center on the computer

Cause : If the TV Tuner Card installed on the computer is being used by any other software other than Media Center for capturing purposes this issue will occur.

Description : Starting with Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (MCE) 2005, a process (ehrec.exe) runs at all times, monopolizing the tuner device on the system. The solution is to disable the service responsible for
starting the "ehrec.exe" process. Note that this does not occur with versions of MCE prior to 2005. This issue will only occur if a customer is using a software other than Media Center to capture Analog Signals.

Resolution/Workaround:
Navigate to CONTROL PANEL --> ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS --> SERVICES.
Find the "Media Center Receiver Service" in the list; rIght-click on it and select "Properties." On the "...properties" window that appears when you do so, find the "Startup type:" entry on the "General"
tab. Set "Startup Type" to "Disabled" (as shown in the screenshot below) and hit APPLY. 4- Then, reboot the computer.

CAUTION : Disabling this service will prevent the Media Center from showing Live TV. Please educate the customer by informing him that the TV Tuner card can be used by a single software at a time, so if the Media
Center is running in the processes (ehrec.exe), use of any other capturing application will cause this error to pop-up on the screen. Ideally customer should only use the Media Center softwares for capturing purposes.

sawoobley
08-23-2009, 06:44 PM
I wonder if there is an alternative program to XP media center that will allow us to watch videos on our PC from a VCR or from cable (live TV)? That way we could disable windows media center and use our replay video recapture to record videos from our VCR or our cable provider.

cdburdick
08-23-2009, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I was able to disable to popups by uninstalling RVC last year. I realized when I first installed RVC that it was incompatible with Windows Media Center. I decided that I would rather have the program guide and recording capabilities of Windows Media Center than what RVC, so I uninstalled Applian RVC. The popups did stop, but so did all functions of my MCE. I now get daily popups saying that the guide is unable to load, and I can't watch live TV, let alone record it.

I went through the steps you described below to check it against my current settings, and confirmed that my "Startup Type" was set to "Automatic" (not "disabled") to enable MCE's use of the tuner.

I just want to have my Media Center working again -- program guide, live TV and recording capabilities. Has anyone else's Media Center been killed by RVC? Applian -- any suggestions to revive it?

I found this suggestion from another website and it makes the annoying pop-up warnings disappear but it disables your ability to watch live TV from your cable or satellite provider. However, you could use your replay capture software now. If you wand to use XP windows media center again you will have to uninstall replay video capture. Apparently, windows media center has a file that is always running that hogs the TV tuner and prevents any other video capture software from running at the same time, so the problem is with windows. Here is the temporary fix:

Issue : "Media Center Receiver Service has encountered a problem and needs to close." This error message
pops up every 10 seconds even when we are not using the Media Center on the computer

Cause : If the TV Tuner Card installed on the computer is being used by any other software other than Media Center for capturing purposes this issue will occur.

Description : Starting with Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (MCE) 2005, a process (ehrec.exe) runs at all times, monopolizing the tuner device on the system. The solution is to disable the service responsible for
starting the "ehrec.exe" process. Note that this does not occur with versions of MCE prior to 2005. This issue will only occur if a customer is using a software other than Media Center to capture Analog Signals.

Resolution/Workaround:
Navigate to CONTROL PANEL --> ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS --> SERVICES.
Find the "Media Center Receiver Service" in the list; rIght-click on it and select "Properties." On the "...properties" window that appears when you do so, find the "Startup type:" entry on the "General"
tab. Set "Startup Type" to "Disabled" (as shown in the screenshot below) and hit APPLY. 4- Then, reboot the computer.

CAUTION : Disabling this service will prevent the Media Center from showing Live TV. Please educate the customer by informing him that the TV Tuner card can be used by a single software at a time, so if the Media
Center is running in the processes (ehrec.exe), use of any other capturing application will cause this error to pop-up on the screen. Ideally customer should only use the Media Center softwares for capturing purposes.

Cheryl Wester
08-24-2009, 04:17 PM
This is something that is really strange to have happened. A suggestion would be to do a system restore to a point where the program did work for you.

stream-recorder.com
08-25-2009, 11:08 AM
I wonder if there is an alternative program to XP media center that will allow us to watch videos on our PC from a VCR or from cable (live TV)? That way we could disable windows media center and use our replay video recapture to record videos from our VCR or our cable provider.
There are several alternatives that you can use, for example, free open source MediaPortal, free open source MythTV, GB-PVR. After trying the features that they offer you may never return to Window Media Center again :D

oldiesfan
09-22-2009, 10:26 PM
I just discovered that I have the same issue. The irony is that I upgraded to the Replay Capture Suite in part at the suggestion of a moderator here because the standalone convertor was not working sufficiently. Guess what? It still isn't and now I get this error message until I uninstall RVC.

Some advice I can offer to those who have found their Media Center apps don't work properly even after uninstalling RVC. Make sure you are doing a full uninstall and not merely uninstalling through Windows' Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs. I suggest you reinstall RVC and then search for and download and install "Revo uninstaller" [totally free]. Then open it and use it to uninstall RVC. It will take you through steps that will include removing it from the Registry. If you don't do this you are leaving remnants which may be causing you trouble with Media Center. I did this and Media Center works fine for me.

As to this issue, it's way past time for Applian to become proactive in finding a fix for this. The original complaint for this was almost a year ago. Although they've acknowledged the problem they have not yet fixed it.

I like Replay AV and use it extensively. It works great with just an occasional hiccup. Besides the issues I have with convertor that was the other reason I decided to upgrade.

Come on Applian. Fix this problem with Media Center PCs.

Thanks

Cheryl Wester
09-23-2009, 11:44 AM
There are some issues that are harder to fix than others. This is one of them. It does have to do with the file that is always running in the background. Believe me when there is a fix, or if there is a fix, it will be updated. We would love to have this working for all.

MeTooMediaCenter
10-07-2009, 08:09 PM
:mad: I spent most of the day trying to "VET" Applian so as to avoid what I have "stepped in" as a result of purchasing and installing Applian Replay Suite!
My C: drive was running at full speed since mid-afternoon until I completed the uninstall. Things are quiet now.

As far as whether my Media Center works. That comes next. I have not been using it recently so I will give it a shot and report back in a few days. I will probably do a System Restore before doing anything else based on previous posts about having lost Media Center as a result of installing Applian Replay Suite.

Next is an email to Customer Service to request the refund.

I guess one experience like this in 29 years of personal comuting is not too bad. I will check the Forum every now and again to see if and when a solution is found by "the Applian Programmer".

Regards to all,
MeTooMediaCenter:eek:

Cheryl Wester
10-08-2009, 06:46 PM
We know about this issue but it is not an easy one. There are some systems that it works with while others it does not. The only program in the suite that causes this conflict is Video Capture. Due to the great price of the entire suite many people do purchase the suite and just don't use that program. Also, if you are not using the Media Center features of your computer (all Vista machines have Media Center) then there is not a conflict either.

chewypgh
02-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Is there any update on a fix? I recently upgraded to the entire suite, but like some of the other posters, I had to uninstall Video Capture because Windows Media Center stopped working. Uninstalling Video Capture did fix the problem, but I would like to use Video Capture as well (especially since I paid for it).

Jeff Lenney
02-09-2010, 08:40 PM
The problem you're reporting is due to a conflict between one of our programs (mcm2ve.ax) and the Media Center. This happens on Media Center XP computers with TV Tuner cards. mcm2ve.ax is an MPEG-2 encoder codec. It is used by other programs with the same problem (run a Google search on mcm2ve.ax or "disable ehrecv" to see some solutions).

Please do the following. Click Start then click Run. Copy/Paste the text below
For WM Capture:
regsvr32 -u "C:\Program Files\WMCap\Bin\mcm2ve.ax"
For Replay Video Capture
"C:\Program Files\Replay Video Capture\Bin\mcm2ve.ax"

Click OK. This uninstalls the program mcm2ve.ax. To re-install use
WM Capture
regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\WMCap\Bin\mcm2ve.ax"
Replay Video Capture
regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Replay Video Capture\Bin\mcm2ve.ax"

See if the problem persists. If not, open WM Capture / Settings and select Windows Media under Video Format instead of MPEG-2.