PDA

View Full Version : First ~500 msecs missing for some tracks recorded from Spotify

Capricorn
06-15-2012, 02:32 PM
When recording from Spotify, it happens over and over again that the first tones at the beginning of a track are skipped.
This happens for the very first track when I star recording, as well as for tracks somewhere in the middle of the recording sequence.

Is there any explanation for that?
Is it due to ReplayMusic, due to Spotify, or even due to my sound card?

Any hints how to get rid of that are highly appreciated!

Scubasa1
06-17-2012, 12:21 AM
Have you treid adjusting the volume cut off in Replay Music? Lower it maybe so that RM picks it up sooner, maybe this is set to high, just one theory to try?
Let us know how you get on.
Steve

Capricorn
06-26-2012, 12:35 PM
The problem does not seem to be related to Replay Music but to Spotify.

I can reproduce it by
- pausing the currently playing track in Spotify
- reversing to beginning of track
- restart playing

In some cases (not always!) the first part is missed out, you simply cannot hear the first tones of the track, audible playback starts only after ~0.5s.

I couldn't find any pattern, also Google was of no help.
Seems that there is no other way than to re-record those tracks.

Anyway, thanks for taking notice of my problem!

Fredolin
06-26-2012, 01:57 PM
This is also my big problem about the missing beginnings, but i thought the problem was Replay Music, so it is interesting that you have found out that the problem is Spotify. Are you sure about this?? I have recorded some albums without any misses, but when you make a mixed playlist, the problem begins.
Wonder if it is the same with Grooveshark??
But i guess we just have to re-record the tracks with the "missing beginnings".........??

Scubasa1
06-27-2012, 10:57 AM
If you put the silences in even before the very first track I find that the beginnings are recorded fine. Try putting the silence MP3 into your Spotify playlists.
Let me know how you get on. I am sure Cheryl and Jeff will be interested too.
S :-)

Fredolin
06-27-2012, 01:50 PM
[QUOTE=Capricorn;29696]The problem does not seem to be related to Replay Music but to Spotify.

I have tried to make several tests of recording the same songs from Spotify, and I am quite sure that the fault is NOT related to Spotify. I can hear all the perfect beginnings of songs from Spotify, but they are cut off in the recording.
It seems that itīs difficult to say which songs will be perfectly recorded, or which will have "missing beginnings."
But i have tried with old songs from the seventies, and in most cases i could find another edition of the song on Spotify, and this will now be perfectly cut.
I have tried to adjust anything both in Spotify and in Replay Music, but i donīt think there is anything to do, but to re-record the song or find another version, which i had great success with, in stead of trying to record the same version 5 or 6 times with same result.
Conclusion: Itīs a bit annoying, but hey, if you have to re-record 7-8 songs out of 100, i think itīs worth the effort.

But i would be glad to hear some others experiences.

Capricorn
06-29-2012, 06:33 AM
I do completely share your conclusion. It's a bit annoying, but it's not a desaster. I can reproduce a quota of 5-10% tracks that need to be re-recorded. For me, it's manageable; I'm not a mega-leecher, quality over quantitiy :)

BTW, there was a Spotify update this week, and I do have a feeling that the situation has improved. However, this is just a subjective impression. Will keep an eye on this.

Fredolin
07-09-2012, 08:42 AM
I have spent many days recording from Spotify, and i will give a little tip, that i have used with success. Some tracks can maybe give you a hard time, having trouble getting the WHOLE beginning of the song. But I have tried to add 2 x silence.mp3 instead of 1, before the "hard to get" songs, and it works pretty well. Now you get ALL of the song!!
Still think Replay Music is fantastic, but people would start to think, that i am getting paid to write this, so i wonīt :-)

Nullgrad
07-20-2012, 12:36 AM
I mentioned this problem some time ago and partly solved it by lowering the volume cut off to 3. I have 2 Soundcards on my PC and they both perform differently when recording with Replay Music. Spotify now has gap less playback which creates another problem but that's for another thread.