PDA

View Full Version : Always Updating & Registering?

Gumby
10-20-2008, 11:36 PM
Hello,

I have turned Auto Update OFF, but every time I start Replay Media Catcher it tries to access the net, looks for downloads & re-registers - Why?

....and it takes some time to load

Cheers :confused:

Tasha Heinlein
10-21-2008, 08:28 AM
Hello,

I have turned Auto Update OFF, but every time I start Replay Media Catcher it tries to access the net, looks for downloads & re-registers - Why?

....and it takes some time to load

Cheers :confused:

Every time you run Media Catcher it will need to check your registration code, as well as update the plug-ins it needs to run.

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein
Applian Technologies, Inc.

maxrenn
10-21-2008, 08:39 AM
So, this warez paranoia means that if your server is off or if you go out of
business we won't be able to use your software anymore ?

Cheryl Wester
10-21-2008, 09:50 AM
We have been in business for many years and don't plan to go anywhere. At the present time that is not something I would worry about.

maxrenn
10-21-2008, 11:09 AM
I understand that, but in your country lobbies almost make the laws.
Sooner or later ripping radios or whatever will be prohibited and companies like
Applian or stationripper for exemple will have to change their market or leave.

Not a long ago a woman was sentenced to over 200 000 dollars for downloading less than 30 songs ! I have no doubt that lobbies that succeeded in making pass such disproportionate and unfair laws will target sooner or later companies like yours.
I read some months ago that MPPA made close a web site in Florida that sold Dvd rip softwares, and what your products do is quite close, it's all about fooling Drm and getting music and videos for free.

But this is not the point, what i was trying to say is that when i buy music, videos or softwares i don't want to depend on the people who sold it to me!
I bought it; it's mine, that's the reason i've always refused to buy Drm-ed
tunes... and ended here!

Jeff Lenney
10-21-2008, 09:57 PM
Hi Maxx,

As a content publisher, we take copyright laws very seriously. We also believe strongly in Fair Use. The laws are simple: When recording or converting media, please do not redistribute it to other people. This will keep you out of trouble.

Our products fall in the same category as VCR's, TiVo Digital Video Recorders (DVR's), Tape Recorders, CD Burners, iPods, and other popular consumer devices. All Applian products record streaming media not protected by DRM (Digital Rights Management), and are fully compliant with all copyright laws, including the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Only 1% of all online video and audio is DRM protected.

Here is what our products are NOT:

* We do not provide instructions or equipment to illegally access or tamper with software, servers, or web sites.
* We do not provide products that enable illegal access of cell phones and other communications or content delivery systems/devices.
* We do not provide software to unlock copyright protection.
* We do not provide tools for copying CDs or DVD's not intended for personal use.
* We do not sell products or services that circumvent digital rights management (DRM) technologies or technical protection measures for copyrighted works.

In other words, i'm pretty sure we're safe and are going to continue to grow. VCR's have been around for MANY years, and media recorders, players etc are just getting MORE popular. Our company is constantly growing and gaining new customers, & coming out with new and innovative products.

I've even spoke with some government employees (Name/branch not to be
mentioned) that have purchased our software in bulk, love it, and use it daily.

At any rate, I hope this puts you at ease about our software and servers, we're not going anywhere *Knock on wood*. :D

maxrenn
10-22-2008, 01:26 PM
Thanks for your answer.