PDA

View Full Version : Quality improvements in recordings - soundcard

dogbert
03-08-2012, 03:42 AM
Just a quick query, does adding a better sound card improve the quality of the recordings in replay? I was thinking of an Asus Xonar.

Thanks,

Dogbert

Shalako
03-15-2012, 01:52 PM
I've always felt that quality sound cards were far and above even the built in audio chips. You have a wider range of settings and can even control how 5.1 and 7.1 speaker systems sound. Great for games and even better for movies.

Close your eyes and picture watching "Saving Private Ryan". I swear you can hear the bullets flying past your head or somebody walking up behind you. - Nevermind hearing somebody knock on your door who isn't there or your cell phone ring.

Nullgrad
03-16-2012, 04:47 AM
Just a quick query, does adding a better sound card improve the quality of the recordings in replay? I was thinking of an Asus Xonar.

Thanks,

Dogbert

I have 2 Soundcards on my PC an Audigy Platinum EX which although almost 10 years old has been given a new lease of life when I upgraded to windows 7, The other Soundcard is one of those integrated things that came with the PC. Whilst I cannot hear a vast difference in the 2 cards when listening on the speakers, I suspect the Audigy scores better when listening on headphones. With the integrated one I get
the occassional pop and click plus some hissing in the background that I don't hear when using the Audigy, which is how it should be I suppose as the Audigy did cost me almost £200 when I got it back in 2002.