PDA

View Full Version : Problems downloading 4OD and using in conjunction with Media Catcher

patatasbravas
03-06-2012, 03:48 AM
Hi all, First of all I am new to all of this and while I have searched this and the Media Catcher forums, some of it is a bit over my head so forgive me if the answers already lie elsewhere!
We bought Media Catcher a couple of weeks ago, primarily to watch BBC iPlayer progs. Then when trying to download Channel 4 and discovering it is protected, we decided to buy Video Capture. We are having problems however downloading Channel 4 4OD programmes. What happens is that the adverts download individually onto Media Capture, but when the main programme starts nothing appears on the Media Catcher at all, even though the Video Capture is still recording. We are also having problems downloading programmes from the You Tube 4OD channel (which doesn't have the ads)- every time within seconds Media Catcher says the download is complete with errors. Meanwhile Video Catcher records whatever is on the home screen, so if we are looking at other pages this is what will play in WMP. The download option to Media Catcher is great for us as our internet connection is quite unreliable so inevitably a straight screen record is going to have lots of rebuffering going on. I don't understand why the 4OD adverts appear in the Media Capture but not the programmes itself, and why YouTube simply won't download? I would also like to know if it is possible to change any settings so that the adverts on 4OD can be skipped and go straight to the main feature. Any clues or advice please? Thanks very much in advance.

juanlfm
03-07-2012, 04:26 AM
It is best not to use Catcher and Capture at the same time.

"We bought Media Catcher a couple of weeks ago, primarily to watch BBC iPlayer progs. "
The Catcher is ideal for BBC iplayer.

"Then when trying to download Channel 4 and discovering it is protected, we decided to buy Video Capture."
For Channel 4 and 5OD Capture is the only way. Forget the Catcher. Launch just the Capture application.

"What happens is that the adverts download individually onto Media Capture, but when the main programme starts nothing appears on the Media Catcher"
I am sure you mean Capture and not Catcher. One reason you only see the adverts could be that you are going on to the Channel 4 and 5 OD platforms from a location outside the UK. In which case you would need to use a VPN.

"I would also like to know if it is possible to change any settings so that the adverts on 4OD can be skipped and go straight to the main feature"
There are such things as Ad blocking software b ut many broadcasters such as ITV do not like them and in any case why not just watch the adds, after all it is their source of revenue which help finance the programs you are watching. Little to ask I think.

patatasbravas
03-07-2012, 09:27 AM
Hi Juan,
Many thanks for your reply. Yes I am getting my Captures and Catchers confused! However what I do mean that the adverts download individually onto Media Catcher, but then nothing happens when it gets to the main feature. This is why I thought they must somehow work in conjunction. If it's best not to use them at the same time I will try just using the Video Capture for 4OD but my concern is that I will then is that if I'm correct it captures in real time and so I would have to play the whole programme which often isn't possible for us as our internet connection isn't very strong (hence why the downloads to Media Catcher are better for us). Oh and I don't mind at all watching ads, I just thought as it seems to stall after them that perhaps if there was a way to skip them there would be more chance of the recording being successful.

juanlfm
03-08-2012, 03:17 AM
If as I suspect you are in Spain and using telefonica in a rural area, I sympathize with you. The Telefonica broadband service is lacking in most rural areas struggling with old telephone equipment.
With RVC you will have to be capturing throughout the duration of the program and what is more it restricts the use of the PC while you are using it for capturing. Unfortunately there is no other way. 4OD has copyright protection (DRM). adverts of course are not protected which is why you are able to capture them with RMC.
You mention adverts play and then nothing else. That could be due to the fact that 4OD detects you connecting from outside the UK and as I said before you would need to use a VPN to establish yourself virtually in the UK. You will then be able to watch the program.
Hope this helps.