PDA

View Full Version : Slow conversions

kasa0625
02-14-2012, 11:15 AM
This is my first post, so please forgive me if this is in the wrong place or has been addressed before. I tried searching for this issue, but didn't find anything.

Recently I've been using RMC to grab Youtube videos for offline viewing on my iPhone. I have RMC set to automatically convert to "iPhone (MP4 H.264; 30fps; 480x320; AAC)" and have noticed that it is taking a very long time to convert these 5-7minute clips.
I was watching my Task Manager and saw that RMC launches FFMPEG to perform the conversion. This is good since FFMPEG is great and I am familiar with it. My issue, though, is that it is only using one of my 8 cores or only 12.5% of my processor power. This makes it take longer to convert the videos than to watch them. I have been using FFMPEG on my system for years and it has always been lightning fast and is able to convert full length DVDs to other formats in about 10-15 minutes, or about the same time it takes RMC to convert one 6min clip.

Is there a way to either customize the command line that RMC calls FFMPEG with to include the "-threads #" option or for me to use a newer x64 compiled version of FFMPEG that has been compiled to use all available cores by default?

I have tried copying over my most recent copy of ffmpeg into the RMC folder, but errors get thrown and the files will not convert. Any ideas would be great. My system info is listed below.

Laptop
Model: Lenovo W520 / 427638U
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Memory: 16.0GB Installed RAM
Video: NVIDIA Quadro 1000M
HDD: 220GB/500GB free
RMC version: 4.3.2.0

the FFMPEG version I have been using outside of RMC is:
N-37208-g01fcbdf built on 01/27/2012 for x64 based systems