PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of 'Search Freecorder Cutomized Web Seach for ""

Scooby
01-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Hi.

My son installed Freecorder on my computer hoping he could use it to download vids to his MP3 player. I wasn't keen on having this new toolbar so uninstalled it all...

Or so I thought.

I run Firefox as my browser as that's the one I'm used to - I like to keep things simple. I hate change for change's sake... As part of my normal browsing, I often highlight and right-click a word or phrase to carry out a separate web search on it, and now find "Search Freecorder Cutomized Web Search for 'whatever'" instead of "Google search".

I don't want this new alternative. I didn't ask for it. And I'm finding it very hard to get rid of.

I've looked at toolbar add-ons, extensions, and have also used Vista's program uninstall, looking for anything with 'applian' (and 'conduit', as I've read they might be connected?) or any other unusual applications. Done all that - no difference.

I want my Google back - that's all.

Help, please.

Jeff Lenney
01-28-2012, 01:37 AM
Hi Scooby,

Just to be clear, We are not "hijacking" your homepage. First, Conduit is no longer using Google, they have decided to use Bing. We have no control over this, I would recommend contacting Conduit. This toolbar component is developed by Conduit. Conduit is the company that provides us with the toolbar we use for our recording technology. You can contact their support directly here:
[email protected]
We find it is easier for the customer to deal with them direct as sometimes they require to connect remotely.

Secondly, when you download Freecorder, you are asked if you would like to change/keep your homepage. If you did not select this option, you can change your homepage through your browser.

I hope this clarifies things. :)

Scooby
01-28-2012, 03:25 AM
Hi Jeff.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I appreciate it was down to what was - or wasn't - selected when my son downloaded Freecorder. What I found frustrating was that 'Freecordser Customized Search' was seemingly left behind (as my right-click search option) after I'd uninstalled everything 'Freecorder' or 'Applian'.

However, the Firefox forum pointed me to the very simple solution! On the Firefox home page, you simply choose whichever search engine you wish to use from a drop-down menu in the top right hand corner (it's on the small search box up there). That's it - 5 second job, and me left feeling a bit daft...

Sorry for my rant - I now feel much warmer towards Freecorder as I appreciate it wasn't being underhand, and if my son chooses to reinstall it I probably won't say 'non'...!

Cheers!

Jeff Lenney
01-29-2012, 12:33 AM
My pleasure Scooby, glad I was able to assist :)