PDA

View Full Version : Book marks in audio books

Richard Adams
10-19-2011, 07:52 AM
[EDIT] not sure which sub forum is right so will try here.

I've just bought an abridged book which comes on 8 CDs with 5 to 8 tracks on each.

I want to put it on my ipod as an audio book. So what I have done so far is this:-

First rip the CDs so each track becomes an *.mp3 file (with each CD having its own directory)
Next use the Join manager to combine each CDs mp3 files so I land up with 8 combined mp3s (instead of about 50)
Then use converter to change the 8 mp3s to m4a files
Then for a reason I cant remember change each filename extension from m4a to m4b (ignoring all Vista's dire warnings)
Then import into itunes and lastly sync to my ipod.

My question is: how to combine the 8 mp3s into one audiobook with 8 bookmarks instead of 8 audiobooks? I believe there is a maximum time of about 4 hours for an audio book so it may not be possible.

Cheryl Wester
10-20-2011, 05:44 PM
If they are the same format, the same bitrate, etc. then you would be able to join them. They would not have bookmarks, however.

Richard Adams
10-21-2011, 02:15 AM
Thanks for reply Cheryl

mp3s combine I know but not m4as. Can you give me a clue of the difference between the following file choices in "Converter"? m4a and iphone audiobook?

Cheryl Wester
02-09-2012, 08:14 PM
The two formats use different codecs based on the format. It is a personal choice as to which one you prefer.