PDA

View Full Version : asf not always playing in windows media player?

ken_battye
10-05-2008, 12:31 AM
I set up Media catcher and it registers the feed and completes the recording as an asf file and all looks okay. As it is downloading I can see the video playing in windows media player and working okay. However when I go to the recorded file and try to play the file in media player all i get is a black screen and quick message saying that it is playing and then it stops. Some downloads work so it cannot be the media catcher?

Tasha Heinlein
10-06-2008, 06:44 PM
I set up Media catcher and it registers the feed and completes the recording as an asf file and all looks okay. As it is downloading I can see the video playing in windows media player and working okay. However when I go to the recorded file and try to play the file in media player all i get is a black screen and quick message saying that it is playing and then it stops. Some downloads work so it cannot be the media catcher?

You might try one of these 2 things:

right click on the file while it's in the Media Catcher list and choose "re-index asf file"
If that doesn't work, you can also try renaming them to .wmv.

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein
Applian Technologies, Inc.

pw-man
10-17-2008, 07:37 PM
You might try one of these 2 things:

right click on the file while it's in the Media Catcher list and choose "re-index asf file"
If that doesn't work, you can also try renaming them to .wmv.

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein

Tasha - is there a way to re-index if I closed Media Catcher and lost the file from the Media Catcher list? It was a live stream, so I can't go watch it again :-(

Thanks!

Tasha Heinlein
10-17-2008, 10:01 PM
Tasha - is there a way to re-index if I closed Media Catcher and lost the file from the Media Catcher list? It was a live stream, so I can't go watch it again :-(

Thanks!

UGH..no once you have closed Media Catcher there is no way to re-index.

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein

ken_battye
11-01-2008, 08:01 AM
Hello Tasha
Unfortunately the re-index does not work?? Sometimes the files do actually play and other times not - this is very frustrating!
Advice?
Ken:)

dhevener
11-02-2008, 10:07 AM
This worked for me:

http://www.jhepple.com/support/reindexwmv.htm

Download Microsoft Media Encoder 9 (here is the new URL)

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/encoder/default.mspx

One of the utilities that comes with it is Windows Media File Editor. Open your .ASF file, then click FILE/REINDEX AND SAVE.

I get an error saying it failed to save the file, but it still works.

Dennis