PDA

View Full Version : Is Applian Spying On Us?

zom
06-27-2011, 09:10 AM
The first time I saw the site applian.securesites.com come up on a firewall was when my son bought one of the streaming videos apps for his PC. But recently the firewall is catching this URL even when OTHER programs are being started up... uTorrent, Handbrake, the ehome.exe that runs the Windows media center for TV.

This has all the red flags of a program that's spying on us.

What's going on here? I can find no process or service that is being running in the background to explain this. I've put this URL on the hostlist as a block until I find out what the hell is going on.

Cheryl Wester
06-27-2011, 08:35 PM
We are not spying on you-it is safe to use your system. We have no way of knowing what you are recording or when you are recording it.

zom
06-28-2011, 11:26 AM
We are not spying on you-it is safe to use your system. We have no way of knowing what you are recording or when you are recording it.

Thanks for the reassurances Chreyl. But I have some questions:

1: is the applian.securesites.com URL connected with YOUR Applian or is it unrelated?

2: if it is, what sort of process can be running in the background of a Replay Media Catcher installation that could cause UNRELATED programs to want to contact applian.securesites.com?

stream-recorder.com
06-28-2011, 11:53 AM
You can send no anonymous usage data to Applian if you like:

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/8751/replaymediacatchergathe.png

zom
07-05-2011, 09:24 AM
You can send no anonymous usage data to Applian if you like

Thanks SR, but my question isn't about Replay phoning home when it's used. It why OTHER unrelated programs want to contact applian.secursites.com. For instance yesterday another program did as well... TOR. It's a privacy addon to Firefox. Now maybe applian.securesites.com is just helping route TOR traffic. But maybe not. I'm still waiting for the official word whether THIS Applian company is in any way connected to applian.securesites.com.

stream-recorder.com
07-05-2011, 11:43 PM
applian.securesites.com is used by Applian.
As for TOR for Firefox, I don't know how it works, so can't explain why it would connect to an applian server.