PDA

View Full Version : Recording XM With Unit: Recording with Replay AV from Line-In on schedule

tcupp
05-21-2011, 01:28 PM
It looks like recording XM Online is dead. So I got to thinking, why not just plug my XM unit into the line in on my computer, leave it on all the time and just schedule recordings. I hit a snag though, does Replay AV not allow me to schedule line in recordings?

Cheryl Wester
05-21-2011, 06:39 PM
That is dependent on your computer and the sound card and items it has. Also, the newer the system the harder it is to record using line in or a mic.

tcupp
05-22-2011, 09:45 AM
Is there a list of sound cards that are supported. I would like to purchase a supported one so that I can accomplish this.

I have a Rocketfish sound card now and when I go to schedule a recording in Replay AV right now, no schedule tab shows up. Should this be the behavior of the program if I currently have an unsupported sound card?

stream-recorder.com
05-22-2011, 11:24 AM
If you have Stereo Mix / Wave-Out Mix / What U Hear, you should be able to record from your sound card. If you don't have such an option, but use Windows 7 or Vista, try to use "Replay AV Audio Driver" for recording from your sound card.

tcupp
05-22-2011, 07:21 PM
I think that I am fine with recognizing the line in source it is a matter of not being able to schedule a line in recording. A screen cap of the Replay AV "Record Audio" dialog that pops up is attached. As you will see there is not schedule tab as there is in XM, Sirius, etc.

Is this normal?

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/6117/unledytc.jpg

stream-recorder.com
05-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Go to Shows -> Add show manually
Select the Recording tab
Select "Capture by recording audio output (Speakers, Mic, Line-In)
Chose the following Type "External Intput (Line-In or Mic)
Select the Schedule tab

CharlieSummers
05-23-2011, 03:05 PM
Yes, but can you imagine how terrible that will sound with the ultra-compression applied to the Sat signal...

stream-recorder.com
05-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Yes, but can you imagine how terrible that will sound with the ultra-compression applied to the Sat signal...
It depends on your audio codec settings a lot.

CharlieSummers
05-24-2011, 04:40 AM
It depends on your audio codec settings a lot.

Sorry, was being snarky about SiriusXM's over-compression on their satellite streams. Have you listened to a Satellite Radio lately? Even their best channels are so over-compressed music is tinny and speech is swishy. And it goes downhill from there.

(*sigh*) I remember XM when even their worst music channels sounded pretty darned good. Now it's all AM radio or worse, and don't get me started on the digital compression artifacts...

Doesn't matter if you store the line-in from a satrad as uncompressed 44k/16-bit, it's still going to sound pretty lousy.

DADEO
05-25-2011, 12:07 PM
tcupp, how has this worked out for you?

tcupp
05-25-2011, 07:02 PM
It has not worked out at all for me. stream-recorders post was very helpful and pointed me in the right direction but now it looks like my sound card is actually not supported. I have my XM plugged into my Rocketfish 7.1 soundcard in Windows 7 and can hear the audio through my speakers. Replay AV will not capture it though. I may have to get my O&A fix through torrents.