PDA

View Full Version : Can't record after Sirius XM channel number change

cgiordano
05-04-2011, 04:37 AM
As I expected, recording is not working today following the Sirius XM channel number line-up change. This is probably more of an issue with the XM Tuner application than Replay A/V, but if anyone knows how to get it working again, I'd appreciate any tips. I already updated the channel numbers accordingly, but still no worky. I'm using MMS, haven't tried HTTP yet. Thanks!

refmon
05-04-2011, 05:03 AM
It would work if you channel didnt change or changed to a number that existed on the old lineup but not if it is a completely new number - I'm in the same boat as you and I've messaged the creator of XMtuner in hopes of a fix - or maybe just a 'hack' that will allow us to enter what the stream should be.

codgus
05-04-2011, 05:29 AM
Of course it doesn't work. Applian is the most awesome company. They've always pulled through with a solution somewhere when something changes. Although we've been dangling for months with the XM Tuner as the savior. Now alas, we are back in the red. :-( - waiting patiently.... Hurry up! -joking

CharlieSummers
05-04-2011, 05:32 AM
Please keep us posted if you hear anything back from the developer. (*sigh*) I'm really beginning to hate SiriusXM...

Cheryl Wester
05-04-2011, 05:40 AM
I believe it is suppose to take awhile to populate. I did test a few stations and either I tested stations that did not change or they have updated already.

edadks
05-04-2011, 06:06 AM
I've been trying to get things working for the last couple of hours since the changeover, looks like the xmtuner solution is dead for the moment. My channels have been updated to show the new channel numbers but streams won't load on any channel.

Cheryl Wester
05-04-2011, 06:10 AM
If the icon for XMtuner is on the channel it has not been updated. The channels with the icons do seem to work

edadks
05-04-2011, 06:29 AM
I can't get any channel to play since a little after midnight. Even channels that did not change will no longer play. Every channel now gives an "Error fetching stream" message even if I try to tune to a channel directly inside xmtuner.

Since that solution now seems to be no good, could we possibly get a fix from Applian, we've been very patient over the last few months.

CharlieSummers
05-04-2011, 06:45 AM
If the icon for XMtuner is on the channel it has not been updated. The channels with the icons do seem to work

Not strictly true; 133 moved to 121, which wasn't a channel yesterday, so it doesn't appear on the XM Tuner-served channel guide, and fails even manually entering the channel number into the URI.

I can't get any channel to play since a little after midnight. Even channels that did not change will no longer play. Every channel now gives an "Error fetching stream" message even if I try to tune to a channel directly inside xmtuner.

I can easily connect, as noted above, to channels that either 1) haven't moved (say, 40's on 4), or have moved to channels that existed yesterday (i.e. NPR Now from 134 to 122). FWIW, this is the XM side of the online service (and parenthetically, if they are going to change channels why the hades didn't they make them the same on both friggin' systems???) If you can't connect to anything, try restarting the application or service...if that doesn't work, try a computer restart.

glenngans
05-04-2011, 07:16 AM
I am also looking for a solution. I was using XM Tuner to record XM 202 which has moved to XM 105. XMTuner will not connect and the original issues that led me from Replay AV to XM Tuner are still unresolved. Greatly appreciate your continued efforts to keep us recording.

edadks
05-04-2011, 07:23 AM
Still not working, I wonder if it's something to do with the different logins between xm and sirius.

For the old sm player, I used my email address and password to log in. Using the new (ugh) sirius player, I had to change my user name to something without an @ symbol.

Now if I log in with my old xm credentials, I get a stream error.

If I log in with my siriusxm id, the player seems to get ready to play the stream, I get a now playing box, but the status box says "connecting to media" for a few seconds, then errors out.

This happens on any channel.

CharlieSummers
05-04-2011, 08:05 AM
For the old sm player, I used my email address and password to log in. Using the new (ugh) sirius player, I had to change my user name to something without an @ symbol.

Hum...I was going to create an email address for a demo account on the Sirius side, but that log-in will have the "@" symbol, so it won't test much. Although I may give it a whirl anyway to see if XMPR (I refuse to call it by its new branding!) moved to an accessible channel while this is all getting worked-out.

refmon
05-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Just an FYI - its being discussed here - a 'fix' was suggested but while it was a nice way to edit the channel lineup you see - you still can't play channels to moved to new locations where no channel existed before.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/xmtuner/forums/forum/1050609/topic/4513401/index/page/1

edadks
05-04-2011, 10:43 AM
I've now changed my id from the old xm email address login to a sirius user name and I can now play many channels.

Still can't play 105 even though it has the correct logo now...although the logo is not in color like the channels that work.

Anyone have any luck getting 105 to play?

CharlieSummers
05-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Just an FYI - its being discussed here - a 'fix' was suggested but while it was a nice way to edit the channel lineup you see - you still can't play channels to moved to new locations where no channel existed before.

I saw that earlier, and it seems unnecessarily cosmetic. What I can't figure out is where he's getting that data..I simply renamed the two cache files so they would need to be re-created:

13:55:40 Loading extended channel data... (from cache)
13:55:40 No cache data to load, skipping...

...and they were re-created...wrong. It implies he isn't pulling it from SiriusXM at all.

This "fix" doesn't change anything, though; if your channel moved to channel 20, just change the URI in ReplayA/V and be done with it. If, on the other hand, you need to record a channel like 121, you're SOL until the developer gets his act together, or Applian steps up.

rxp1970
05-04-2011, 12:45 PM
I have to agree....I've been a paying member for years to XM..then moved painfully to sirriusXM with the crappy online player. I wish there was something I we could do to voice distain in a unified manner...as I doubt individually it would make a difference. Man I hate how they have the service setup and without any competition I expect this behavior to continue and the price to continually rise. (*sigh*) x1 to the power of 1million!!!!!!

refmon
05-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Another application that works differently from XMTuner is SiriusWM (I just found it today searching for options) - it works like the XMWidget (which is also broken at the moment) - I've been posting there too and they said they may have it fixed tonight - if so then that could be used - but you would use it to 'record what you hear' - it would be like recording the official web player without the time outs from what I can tell - still better than no option at all. Page one of the 70 page thread has a link to the Windows version of the app: https://forums.geekstoolbox.com/showthread.php?25946-SiriusWM6

Leerichjr
05-04-2011, 02:13 PM
Just found a good replacement for xmtuner. Please use the following link for windows based program with installing instructions.

https://forums.geekstoolbox.com/showthread.php?25946-SiriusWM6

refmon
05-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Just found a good replacement for xmtuner. Please use the following link for windows based program with installing instructions.

https://forums.geekstoolbox.com/showthread.php?25946-SiriusWM6

Unless he fixed it in the last hour and hasn't mentioned it - thats the site I linked too right above your post. It isn't the same as xmtuner if you want to record shows as it doesnt tune to stations for replayAV - it will work as a stand alone player once he fixes the stations that won't load as he posted he planned to do tonight.

codgus
05-04-2011, 08:25 PM
:::: FOR SIRIUS USERS ONLY, SORRY XM :( :::: NEW!!! Updated file again, all channels with a satellite for an icon have been renamed to channel SIRIUS 900 so they are at the bottom and again can be ignored.:D (more info: removing them made the file fail :mad:)

I edited the 'channellineup.cache' file located (WinXP SP3) in 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\XMTuner'. While XM Tuner is CLOSED, back up your copy by right clicking and choosing to copy it and then rename copy 'channellineup_old.cache' and download and copy >> this one (http://tinyurl.com/448tkpx) << to your folder. Then re-open your XM Tuner and the channel line up should be all good. :cool:

cgiordano
05-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Thanks, cogdus - FYI, on my Windows 7 box, the channellineup.cache file is located in C:\ProgramData\XMTuner. YMMV.

I have both a Sirius & XM account, was really hoping for an XM solution, but will check this out as a workaround.

CharlieSummers
05-05-2011, 05:07 AM
:::: FOR SIRIUS USERS ONLY, SORRY XM ::::
I edited the 'channellineup.cache' file located in 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\XMTuner'.

Which this morning seems to work, but frankly doesn't make much sense to me. The URI XM Tuner builds is pretty self-explanitory:

http://localhost:19081/streams/196/high

...is the old URI for XM Public Radio. Simply changing the channel number (between "stream" and "high") to 205 did not work yesterday with my demo account to Sirius, but does this morning. (The modified cache file presents this same URI.)

Once I get this morning's recordings through Sirius, I'll shut down the tuner, delete the cache file, re-enter my XM credentials, and check to see if channel 121 now works without modifying the cache file.

Still, I thank you for the altered file, since whatever the reason, it and the demo Sirius online account buys me a week to get the XM side straightened out. Appreciate it much!

refmon
05-05-2011, 07:18 AM
At this point the Applian folks might want to edit the blurb for Replay AV from "Record XM™ and Sirius™ radio feeds" to "Record Most XM™ and Sirius™ radio feeds"

I don't see a solution coming any time soon.

I did but Replay AV specifically for the XM recording and for a channel I now can't receive but I feel I have gotten my $$ worth.

At this point I'd be happy for a way to load the web based player and just keep it from timing out - anyone?

CharlieSummers
05-05-2011, 07:32 AM
At this point the Applian folks might want to edit the blurb for Replay AV from "Record XM™ and Sirius™ radio feeds" to "Record Most XM™ and Sirius™ radio feeds"

They might want to remove it entirely, since Replay A/V can not currently record SiriuxXM online feeds. It can record (some of) the streams provided by XM Tuner (and possibly SiriusXMStreamer and other apps), but it can't grab SiriusXM online streams directly. (Like you, I'm not complaining and I agree I've gotten my money's worth from the app; but I am no longer recommending Applian apps as a solution to others, either.)

At this point I'd be happy for a way to load the web based player and just keep it from timing out - anyone?

Yeah, that's a royal pain, isn't it? Yesterday I spent three hours coming into my office any time I thought about it and changed the displayed channel just to get the three hours of The Bob Edwards Show recording done (I used...another commercial application to record the audio to uncompressed WAV, one I find much more user-friendly than the Applian products for this particular application). It was...um...less than fun - a bit like poking a bear every half-hour or so just to keep it riled. ;)

thehobster
05-06-2011, 07:32 AM
OK, I'm as PO'd as the next guy, but I don't want to take it out on Applian at this point (I'll reserve my vitriol for later :).

I can record anything my PC plays through my speaker using ReplayAV. I just can't schedule a channel change and record it.

Yes, it unsophisticated, but as long as I'm at my desk at 2pm central, I can record the Jay Thomas Show by using the SiriusXM tuner and setting ReplayAV to record speakers.

I'll put up with this for a little while to give folks a little time to work on a fix. But if this drags on, I'll be voicing discontent as well.

CharlieSummers
05-06-2011, 11:04 AM
Had an interesting problem this morning...

Yesterday, I used the channellineup.cache posted by codgus along with a demo Sirius online account to record The Bob Edwards Show. This morning, the recording failed...when I checked the channellineup.cache file, I discovered it had been overwritten by XM Tuner. So I replaced it with a fresh copy of the one codgus posted, restarted the service, and...it replaced it again. I tried locking (setting read-only) the file, and that caused the service to die.

I was finally able to convince it to leave the file alone by opening it in Wordpad, adding then removing a space, and resaving the file - this updated the timestamp, convincing, I believe, XM Tuner that it was a recently-generated file. To hopefully prevent this from happening in the future, I downloaded the Windows version of the unix command "touch," and set up a scheduled task to touch that file once an hour (this was much more cumbersome in XP than it would have been in Win7).

Has anyone else experienced XM Tuner overwriting a replaced cache file?

dj_paige
05-06-2011, 04:33 PM
I am seeing the same thing happen, that XMTuner overwrites the file provided by codgus.

I was able to modify the file with a text editor to get everything to work on XM, with the proper channel lineup for XM, by simply changing the file codgus provided to have XM instead of Sirius in the first line of text.

I tried to further edit the file (the format is obvious) to allow Channel 121 to appear, but no luck there.

codgus
05-07-2011, 04:31 AM
*JUST ADDED SEE BOTTOM*

:::: FOR SIRIUS USERS ONLY, SORRY XM :::: NEW!!! Updated file again, all channels with a satellite for an icon have been renamed to channel SIRIUS 900 so they are at the bottom and again can be ignored. (more info: removing them made the file fail)

I edited the 'channellineup.cache' file located (WinXP SP3) in 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\XMTuner'. While XM Tuner is CLOSED, back up your copy by right clicking and choosing to copy it and then rename copy 'channellineup_old.cache' and download and copy >> this one (http://tinyurl.com/448tkpx) << to your folder. Then re-open your XM Tuner and the channel line up should be all good.

After a few days with this I discovered another 'glitch', seems the old channel list doesn't like to stay permanently gone. It may have something to do with the auto channel update that's constantly trying to update, and we thought it couldn't, but apparently sometimes it does. So, here's what I did.

1) Your edited 'channellineup.cache' file has to be backed up and used as the static copy of your channel list. I called mine, 'channellineup2.cache' (I know, I know, hold the applause for my genius, over confident meaty breasted boob that I am... thhhht! ;) )

2) Make a shortcut to the XMTuner from your 'C:\' root. This file will be known to the system as 'XMTuner.lnk'.
(Short story, using an actual reference to the .EXE in a batch file will cause a command window to stay open in this process, and I used the .LNK to avoid that. <- if you understood that great, if not, it's okay because you really don't have to.)

3) Now, here's the batch file you need to use to launch >> XMTuner (http://tinyurl.com/3vozzuu) << from here forward. You'll need to unzip it and place it in the 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\XMTuner' folder.
Here's what it does & what the code looks like:

ECHO OFF <- Normal batch command to stop code from flying in the window
tskill XMTuner /A <- stops any XMTuner(s) running currently
copy channellineup2.cache channellineup.cache <- Copies channels from backup to current
C:\XMTuner.lnk <- restarts the XMTuner
EXIT <- Exits the batch file

4) Now make a shortcut to the 'XMTunerStart.bat' in your start up group of program files.

5) for those of you who are concerned with it occuring in the middle of the day. I made a 'Scheduled Task' to handle refreshing at 1:00 PM each day. As for me, this is when any morning shows I listen to are finished recording by then. Or, after I get about three hours of music from my favorite radio station, and it sends to my email so I can listen to it on my iPhone, I am now ready to record again in the afternoon. Maybe you have a simular desire or setup going on and this helps, maybe not, but I thought I'd add it anyway. Cheery bye! :D

more info: 'Scheduled Tasks' are located in the 'Control Panel', you may have to do a little research to learn how to use this correctly.

*JUST ADDED*
Based on the whole TOUCH brought up by CharlieSummers, I did a little research and made this to run every half an hour in my scheduled tasks. Looks like it works great and will stop unwanted updates. Thanks Charlie! :D

File: >> TouchChannel.bat (http://tinyurl.com/3bdjm5h) << Unzip to 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\XMTuner' folder and setup your Scheduled Task (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308569).

codgus
05-07-2011, 04:36 AM
Had an interesting problem this morning...

Yesterday, I used the channellineup.cache posted by codgus along with a demo Sirius online account to record The Bob Edwards Show. This morning, the recording failed...when I checked the channellineup.cache file, I discovered it had been overwritten by XM Tuner. So I replaced it with a fresh copy of the one codgus posted, restarted the service, and...it replaced it again. I tried locking (setting read-only) the file, and that caused the service to die.

I was finally able to convince it to leave the file alone by opening it in Wordpad, adding then removing a space, and resaving the file - this updated the timestamp, convincing, I believe, XM Tuner that it was a recently-generated file. To hopefully prevent this from happening in the future, I downloaded the Windows version of the unix command "touch," and set up a scheduled task to touch that file once an hour (this was much more cumbersome in XP than it would have been in Win7).

Has anyone else experienced XM Tuner overwriting a replaced cache file?

I just posted something addressing this issue, that works good in XP... so far. I'm interested in the "touch" program you talked about, is this working?

CharlieSummers
05-07-2011, 08:51 AM
I just posted something addressing this issue, that works good in XP... so far. I'm interested in the "touch" program you talked about, is this working?

Yep. I've intentionally restarted the service frequently (I'm using the service version of XM Tuner, not the application, so your excellent instructions wouldn't work for me anyway), and the timestamp/contents of the cache file is not being updated by the app.

Background (skip if in a hurry): touch is a standard feature of un*x that allows one to update the timestamp of a file. I have no idea who thought of it, but I can tell you anyone who uses any flavor of un*x (linux, FreeBSD, whatever) from a command line uses it relatively frequently (note touch can also create a file if it doesn't exist, which is what I tend to use it for most). When using Windows, I tend to use the command prompt relatively frequently, too (programs like streamripper are command-line), but end up using Windows Explorer to create new files.

Forgive the step-by-step, since I'm assuming some people who will try this are not used to digging this low into Windows and may be intimidated; those who are more advanced may find some of this tedious.

Anyway, first download the UnxUtils (http://sourceforge.net/projects/unxutils/) from sourceforge. Since I'm using XP (under Windows7 this would be a little more difficult), I extracted the files under "C:\Program Files\UnxUtils\" creating the nested folders in the .zip file. ("Normal people" might consider placing just the touch.exe somewhere in their PATH, but then most "Normal People" don't know what their PATH is set to. ;)

Since I'm running Replay A/V and XM Tuner on an XM machine (Windows7 has a completely different task scheduler - if running Win7 and you need help, post here and I'll write up something for it), the cache file resides at "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\XMTuner\channellineup.cache" - since touch is a command-line application, you need the complete path. Create a new Scheduled Task using the Scheduled Tasks Control Panel (the wizard is wildly crippled, but it can be used); when asked what to run, "Browse" to the location of touch, which as I set it up is at "C:\Program Files\UnxUtils\usr\local\wbin\touch.exe" (like I said, you can always copy touch.exe to someplace within your PATH). Don't worry much about setting the schedule right now, you can just select "Daily" and pick a time (make sure you enter an administrator's username and password), but definately click the "Open advanced properties" checkbox before you hit Finish.

Here comes the bothersome part; if you want something to happen every day more than once/day, you need to go into the Settings tab and add them. We'll assume just for argument you set the time in the Wizard to 12:01AM Daily, and you really want it to run every four hours. The Schedule tab will show you this time twice; once near the top and once in the middle. At the top of the tab, click the "New" button...this will duplicate your first entry...change the time in the middle of the tab to 4:01AM. Click "New" again, change to 8:01AM. Again, and 12:01PM. Ad nausium. (Hey, stop complaining...I entered 23 of the d*mned things so it would update every hour!)

You need to make one more important change before closing this window, though; switch back to the Task tab, and in the Run: field, add the location of the cache file to the end of the command. Again, using mine as an example, it currently reads:

"C:\Program Files\UnxUtils\usr\local\wbin\touch.exe"

Those quotes are important, since there's a space in "Program Files." Behind it, you need to add a space, then the full path to your cache file, inside quotes...my complete command reads:

"C:\Program Files\UnxUtils\usr\local\wbin\touch.exe" "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\XMTuner\channellineup.cache"

Make sure "Enabled" is checked at the bottom, click Apply, then OK. If you get any error on either button (usually a username/password error), fix it. Make sure you check the properties of the cache file a few hours from now to make sure it's being updated properly.

(*sigh*) I realize this all sounds difficult, and for the initiate I suppose it might be pretty intimidating, but it's really pretty simple stuff which only sounds difficult in the explaining.

Edit: I should mention there is no reason to shut down the service (or, presumably, application) when touch'ing the file. Unlike replacing the cache file, simply touch'ing it underneath the process should be harmless.

dyane1160
05-07-2011, 05:49 PM
I am using xmtuner on windows 7. Thank you in advance

refmon
05-08-2011, 09:57 AM
I was just passed on this site as a way to at least get around the inactivity time out. I have NOT tested it yet (I only started playing the stream 5 minutes ago). If it works then you can at least do the 'record what I hear' option to record the stations that are not accessible by any other means.

http://mobile.musicdock.com/

It DOES see and play the new XM channels. Hoping it doesn't time out. Also hoping the makers of XMTuner can figure out how to get the stream info and fix their app.

CharlieSummers
05-08-2011, 10:38 AM
I am using xmtuner on windows 7. Thank you in advance

A couple of notes on Windows7. One should never run routinely as an administrative user, rather one should run as a "standard" user and only elevate when necessary; that said, most people, because of the way Microsoft sets things up, routinely run as admin accounts, placing their computers at risk. I am going to naively assume the reader is actually running as a "standard" user instead, so take that into account. In Windows7, I installed the UnxUtils in my personal directory's Applications folder (remember, we're not running as admin, so no write access to Program Files), so the path is C:\Users\Charlie\My Applications\UnxUtils\usr\local\wbin\touch.exe.

The first difference is the path of the cache file; it's in C:\ProgramData\XMTuner\ in Windows7. Remember that, we'll need it later.

The main difference, though is in the scheduler. You open it in Start Menu/All Programs/Accessories/System tools/Task Scheduler, and when you do you get a wildly different window than the simple widgets in XP. There are lots of tutorials on the Net on using the Task Scheduler, I'm just going to walk through creating one. Click on "Task Scheduler (local)" on the left pane. Far right pain, you'll see a list of options; select "Create Task..." (not "Create Basic Task..."). Set name as "Touch Cache File" and enter a description if you'd like to remind yourself why you're doing this. In Security options, change the user to an administrative account (you want admin privs here, because...) and select, "Run whether user is logged on or not" since again we want it to run the entire time the computer is turned on no matter what user is logged in.

(Theoretically you may be able to run this as a standard user, but I didn't test this out, so I'd suggest changing to an admin account.)

Before moving on, check the box that says, "Run with highest privileges."

Change tab to "Triggers." Click "New." Select "Daily" and set a time; Recur every one day is default, check the "Repeat task every:" and set to one hour for a duration of indefinitely. "Enabled" should be checked. Click "OK."

Change tab to "Actions." Click "New." Action should be "Start a program." Click "Browse," and find the touch.exe (in my case as I mentioned, "C:\Users\Charlie\My Applications\UnxUtils\usr\local\wbin\touch.exe"). In "Add Arguments," insert:

"C:\ProgramData\XMTuner\channellineup.cache"

(In this case, quotes are optional since there are no spaces in the path, but what the heck...)

Click "OK." You may set "Conditions" and "Settings" options if you'd like, but the defaults should be good enough. Click "OK" on the main window, and you should be asked for the password for the administrative account you set the task to run earlier.

You can test that all is working by selecting your newly-created task in the scheduler window and clicking "Run" then check the modification date of the cache file.

link1277
05-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Just wanted to check-in as I'm out of the water with Replay A/V and XM Tuner, any idea on how to resolve. I don't get any of the new channels on XM Tuner which then won't let me record any channels that have never previously existed. Can we go back to where it was just Replay A/V and not XM Tuner, what's going on?

I'm running Windows 7 SP1 and all has been work fine since the channel number changes on Sirius / XM.

ferrous1
05-09-2011, 09:08 AM
Thank you for the "Touch" program cogdus. It works perfectly for me the last few days, have it in the schedules tasks every 30 minutes in Windows 7.

:D

CharlieSummers
05-10-2011, 04:06 AM
Thank you for the "Touch" program cogdus.

You're welcomed. ;)

Anyone hear anything about dealing with XM's side of the online disaster? I'm on my second Sirius demo account...

Edit: According to folks at the SourceForge forum discussing XM Tuner, the web-based player at http://mobile.musicdock.com/ is working with the updated channel lineup. I haven't had time to test it out yet, but it may be a temporary solution to the time-out issue for XM subscribers until a more reasonable solution is found...

Edit: Sorry, completely missed refmon's post from two days ago pointing to this website. (*sigh*) Blame old age...

refmon
05-10-2011, 05:40 AM
I now have a computer configured with replayav to load the musicdock mobile page to the channel I want to record and then recording the audio - its far from perfect but so far today it appears to be working. There is no way to record multiple streams at the same time which to me means there is no 'overlap' when I split the recording - however I can record straight to MP3 without needing to convert from asx to mp3 which speeds up the process.

Again, not the solution I wanted but it works. No word on the xmtuner site from the creators after the channel changes last Wednesday and the creator of the other program we found, SiriusWM6, seems content for now without the XM stuff being fixed.

I just hoped that someone could dissect the musicdock solution to figure out how they were able to get it done. That site doens't have any kind of discussion group that I could find.

pandaspandas
05-10-2011, 08:17 PM
It should be possible to block the site that XMTuner is using to update its channel number lineup until this is sorted out using the windows hosts file so it defaults to cache. I'll investigate...

pandaspandas
05-10-2011, 09:03 PM
Here's a fix: Try using SiriusXMStreamer instead. It does the same thing as XM Tuner, except the new channel lineup works for the most part.

Samuel Junior
05-11-2011, 04:53 AM
Yes SiriusXMStreamer http://www.permanence.com/sirius/ was updated last night, but there are a few Sirius channels not working and many XM channels are not working. He sent this update in the interim.

refmon
05-11-2011, 05:04 AM
Same issues with that solution as xmtuner or siriuswm6

only non official option I have found that works to a point is the musicdock solution.

Even the author or siriusxmstreamer notes "These changes made a large number of the XM streams and a few of the Sirius streams inaccessible via the legacy streams that SiriusXMStreamer uses. I am actively working on finding a way to restore full functionality, but at this point, am not sure if I will be able to. "

I had my solution described above fail me overnight (replay av doesn't seem to do well closing and re-opening web pages) and am going to go back to my old solution (pre - replay av) of running an old program called total recorder and some 'dos' batch files along with musicdock to record the shows I want.

But thanks for posting the link as its another possibility and at least the author seems to be working on it.

There seems to be no action on the part of the xmtuner people, the siriuswm6 author doesn't seem to be working on a solution for the missing channels and replayav hasn't said a word on the topic in ages.

Cheryl Wester
05-11-2011, 08:30 AM
As you can see by the issues other recorders are also having it is not an easy solution-we are not sure if there is one but if the developer is able to do something it will be done. We also like to capture from Sirius and XM. We are not ignoring the problem-we just don't have a solution as of yet.

edadks
05-11-2011, 08:42 AM
We appreciate that you're still working on this. It seems that musicdock has come up with something that works for xm, any possibility of figuring out what they've done to make this work?

Thanks for the continued efforts.

CharlieSummers
05-11-2011, 01:19 PM
running an old program called total recorder

Not exactly "old;" it is actively developed, and I frankly prefer it for non-stream captures (software recording).

Is anyone having issues with the old streams cutting out after roughly three minutes? This morning's recording (using a Sirius demo account) worked fine for three hours, but this afternoon's one-hour recording created re-connects every two-and-three-quarters to three minutes, and the same thing is happening when I use "Tune to Station" on Sirius online 205.

I need to leave right now, and so can't test other channels until I get back, but this doesn't seem to be an XM Tuner or Replay A/V issue, but rather an Akamai issue, or possibly an issue with my connection to same. I know it's going to be a major problem if it isn't just a local or temporary issue...

jnewton81
05-11-2011, 02:58 PM
SiriusXMStreamer is able to play the channel I need, but I'm not sure how to set ReplayAV up to record it. I've tried copying the SiriusXMStreamer URL and pasting it to ReplayAV, but it's not working.

Anyone have a tutorial to use ReplayAV with SiriusXMStreamer?

Samuel Junior
05-11-2011, 07:14 PM
For siriusxmstreamer

To get the URL do the following:
Right mouse click the channel you want
Select Channel URL
Select ASX
Then add it the same way as you do with XMTuner

jnewton81
05-12-2011, 01:47 AM
Thanks Samuel, I was trying to use the button on the bottom of the app and that was giving me the wrong channel.

This worked perfectly.

Thanks!

refmon
05-12-2011, 04:42 AM
Not exactly "old;" it is actively developed, and I frankly prefer it for non-stream captures

I wasn't aware that it was (I think I was confusing it with a program called XAMP which was the original program I used to get the XM streams), I purchased my copy bck in 2009..... thanks for the heads up. I'll be upgrading (all upgrades are free) to the newest version tonight.

On a side note I came up with a batch file last night using dos file called 'forfiles' to delete files over 'x' days old and I have it running under scheduled tasks - so I can now auto-delete old recordings (I keep the most recent 2 days of the recordings I make).

Still hoping to see a solution from replayav but at least for now I think I have a make shift equivalent.

cgiordano
05-12-2011, 05:40 AM
Same issues with that solution as xmtuner or siriuswm6

only non official option I have found that works to a point is the musicdock solution.

I had my solution described above fail me overnight (replay av doesn't seem to do well closing and re-opening web pages) and am going to go back to my old solution (pre - replay av) of running an old program called total recorder and some 'dos' batch files along with musicdock to record the shows I want.

How did you get Replay A/V to open the MusicDock URL? I can get MusicDock to stream XM just fine using a browser, but Replay A/V won't open ("tune") the same URLs correctly on its own. Thanks.

CharlieSummers
05-12-2011, 05:55 AM
Ok, so yesterday my problem seemed to have resolved nicely and I got a three-hour recording last evening with no problems. Suddenly this morning it's back...every ~2.6 MB, somewhere between 2:45 and 3:00, I'm seeing a reconnection on my demo Sirius account. This is happening on Sirius 205, but does not seem to be happening on some other channels I checked (like 70s on 7...actually heard "Disco Duck" which reminded me what was wrong with the 70's), but is pretty consistent on 205.

Can anyone else please check/verify that channel?

Edit: The issue has continued on Sirius 205 all day, making stream-captures of that channel impossible; would really appreciate someone with a Sirius online account to verify my issues on 205. Attempted to use MusicDock with my "real" XM account, and discovered that, as with XM Tuner on the XM side, http://mobile.musicdock.com/mobile/Channel_Info_Frame.asp?c=69&CategoryID=0 fails with the error, "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the associated Windows Media metafile playlist is not valid."

Additional info: the low-quality stream (for XM Tuner, the URI http://localhost:19081/streams/205/low ) seems to work fine; it's only the 128kbps stream that interrupts every three-minutes or so.

(*sigh*) Like those of you who only listen to The Virus, I am a single-channel guy, and haven't found any way to record the XM Public Radio channel other than software recording from the (ugh!) new SiriusXM online flash-based player. Any suggestions or pointers to recording this channel, on either XM Online or Sirius Online, would be greatly appreciated.

JackoDandy
05-13-2011, 05:32 PM
Charlie,
Why are you doing all this? Seems to me that you are jumping through hoops to get things going and Applian is offering zilch in the way of a remedy. Applians "Cherly" just keeps posting "Dont know if we can fix this or not" comments and sits back waiting for users to fix the issue. Is this the bizzaro world? Last time I checked my bank account Applian did not pay me $ to fix this issue - whats going one here? Confused....

Rareopera
05-13-2011, 06:40 PM
My first day with Replay and I can't record my favorite Metropolitan Opera station (now Sirius 78) or anything else on Sirius. I am assuming from the other posts that its a flop with current sirius. No URL showing when I go to record. Any suggestions or should I give up and cancel this software purchase?

Cheryl Wester
05-14-2011, 09:25 AM
As you are aware there are some things that can't be fixed. It is not always possible-when I say that the developer is still looking into solutions that is what I mean. He does not want to have something that will work for a day so he is investigating if there is a solution.

As you have seen from other programs that tune to Sirius/XM they are also having issues-XMTuner is an example of this-SiriusXM Streamer is working on this also-he did have an update that works with some stations.

CharlieSummers
05-14-2011, 09:45 AM
Charlie,
Why are you doing all this?

This seems pretty simple:

1) I wish to record/stream capture a specific channel of SiriusXM on a timed and unattended basis.

2) Others here wish to record/stream capture a specific channel of SiriusXM on a timed and unattended basis; not necessarily the channel I wish to record/stream capture, but that doesn't matter.

3) Applian produced a product that, for quite a while, did exactly that. It no longer does, but that doesn't change the fact that those of us here wish to continue recording/stream capturing.

Given those three points, we have gathered here to help each other do exactly that. If you wish to help, please join in with suggestions and workarounds. Otherwise, please don't interfere; if all you want to do is complain, please complain to the company directly.

My first day with Replay and I can't record my favorite Metropolitan Opera station (now Sirius 78) or anything else on Sirius. I am assuming from the other posts that its a flop with current sirius. No URL showing when I go to record. Any suggestions or should I give up and cancel this software purchase?

Met Opera Radio is recordable, but not with Replay A/V alone. You will need to install XM Tuner, install a third-party configuration cache file for it while also setting a recurring task to keep its modification date updated so it isn't overwritten by XM Tuner, then connect Replay A/V to XM Tuner using channel 74 (just trust me, the channel number is different from the flash-based audio player). I verified this by making a short recording of Met Opera Radio as I typed this response, so it is possible.

If you are looking for a single, simple solution to record Met Opera Radio, however, Replay A/V is not it, and their sales department should have made that clear before the sale. Currently, the bizarre connection of commercial and freeware software I detailed above is the only way I have found to capture the exact stream provided by SiriusXM via Akamai without additional transcoding...if you are not so fussy that you don't mind introducing additional quality degredation and are not wedded to scheduled recordings, it should be possible to set up a completely freeware system to playback/transcode the stream and write it to disk, or use other third-party solutions to record-what-you-hear.

Your decision to request a refund is something on which I can't counsel you. If you need help connecting Replay A/V to XM Tuner, read through this thread and feel free to ask questions about anything you don't understand. Heck, if you want to work out another way of recording, read through this thread anyway...there's some good stuff here.

refmon
05-15-2011, 09:21 PM
How did you get Replay A/V to open the MusicDock URL? I can get MusicDock to stream XM just fine using a browser, but Replay A/V won't open ("tune") the same URLs correctly on its own. Thanks.

I gave up using ReplayAV with MusicDock - because I didn't seem to be able to get it to just record what was playing already. I would manually tune to the station I wanted via musidock and then turn on replayav for a recording - when replayAV ended it would shut off the stream (or media player) even though I didn't want it to.

I currently have things successfully set up using another recording solution that I can just schedule to record what is on playing and then I use the dos command 'taskkill' to kill the browser and mediaplayer via scheduled tasks - then right before the next recording I have a scheduled task set to launch the browser which loads musicdock and begins playing. Finally I have a batch file written that deletes recordings more than n days old that also runs via windows task scheduler. It may not be pretty but its been working for 3 days and I haven't missed a recording.

I hope ReplayAV can get a solution working - I would much prefer to record a stream via the method I had been doing before. I own the product and have no regrets. Just hope a solution can be found.

JackoDandy
05-16-2011, 07:32 AM
As you have seen from other programs that tune to Sirius/XM they are also having issues-XMTuner is an example of this-SiriusXM Streamer is working on this also-he did have an update that works with some stations.

There is a fundamental difference. XMTuner and Streamer are free. I would expect user interaction to solve freeware. Applian is charging $50 for the software that does not perform as advertised. For the $50 I would expect a little more effort than "We dont know how to fix" or "Still looking into this (since January)".

If I were Applian I would change Charlies forum title to "Staff" - then at least it would appear that Applian is trying SOMETHING from his numerous posts.

No disrespect to you Charlie - I appreciate your efforts as nobody else at Applian seems to be trying.

emzahn56
05-17-2011, 11:35 AM
I'm with you JackoDandy, very disappointed in Applian that they never fixed the original problem and we were forced to use XMTuner. This was fine for a temporary fix but now that that XMTuner no longer works, it's about time Appplian stepped up to the plate and fix the original problem with Replay AV 8.

Since the temporary solutions given in this thread, though very much appreciated, they do not work if an XM subscriber. At least I don't think they do. I'm technically challenged in this department so had my husband look into another software work around for the XM subscriber. Currently, and this may have already been posted so please just ignore my thread if you already knew about this, I am using ws streaming as a temporary fix. It is not great but at least it will record if XM subscriber. The problem with ws streaming is you cannot schedule, which is a pain and program must manually start each time. It does have a setting to stop recording after a certain time but again, each time program is opened, must redo the settings. They have a default setting that automatically splits (I guess when broadcast goes to commercial), so you must uncheck this each time you start the program. My husband thought it was only on the trial version and we expected these settings to stick once we purchased but unfortunately all settings go back to default.

I'm still hoping Applian will fix Replay but not holding my breath :(

CharlieSummers
05-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Nuts. After days of everything going fine (although I'm on my third demo Sirius Online account, so I sure hope the XM side gets handled soon), this morning my recordings blew up in my face again; somehow I managed to get the low version of Sirius channel 205. The afternoon recording was the high-bandwidth version, but split again in 2:45-3:00 chunks.

(*sigh*) Sometimes I think SiriusXM is picking on me personally... ;)

Cheryl Wester
05-17-2011, 07:01 PM
If you have owned your software for 30 days or less please contact customer service and they will gladly issue you a refund. We can't offer a solution if there isn't one. You are not being ignored but there are some things that can't be done. The developer is looking at this but doesn't have a solution. We would also love to have one. At this time i will not respond on any more of the links for this unless we do have a great solution for you. If you do have software issues other than XM/Sirius with AV by all means enter them in the forum or submit a ticket as we will respond-on tickets the majority of the time in under 24 hours.

link1277
05-18-2011, 04:35 AM
I don't think you can advertise that you can record Siriux XM anymore. Since February 10th it's been broken, meaning you had to find a third party solution called XM Tuner to get your product to work. That worked, but still not ideal for what was advertised with this software. It's too bad.

thehobster
05-19-2011, 01:19 PM
So, I was reading that the issue seems to be that SiriusXM application uses streams from both Sirius and XM. If Sirius doesn't have the stream, the application pulls it from XM. And therein lies the problem: your user name is associated with one or the other, and ReplayAV doesn't have the same access to both streams.

I wonder if Applian has looked into the following:
1 - use their existing scheduler to launch and tune the SiriusXM application
2 - set the recorder to record through the sound card rather than capturing the stream
3 - use the existing scheduler to stop the SiriusXM application

Yes, it's another band-aid. This doesn't solve the issue of recording multiple streams simultaneously, and you'll capture any sound the PC makes while you're recording.

But for those of us who just want to be able to capture missing stations (Virus, Stars Too, etc), this doesn't seem like it would be too incredibly difficult. Or am I missing something?

CharlieSummers
05-20-2011, 10:10 PM
So, I was reading that the issue seems to be that SiriusXM application uses streams from both Sirius and XM. If Sirius doesn't have the stream, the application pulls it from XM.

Er, no...that is not the problem at all. I'm not going to restate it because it's been explained a number of times already, but no, that's not the problem and is not what is happening.

I wonder if Applian has looked into the following:

It would be amazing if they were not "looking into" exactly that. If it were easy to control a flash-based player from an outside application, and to do so without violating the terms of the DMCA which prohibits certain activities that decode encrypted information, I'm pretty sure they would have done it already.

You can easily launch the player via scheduled tasks. What you can't do is auto-log in. And select the channel. And keep it alive longer than the hour or hour-and-a-half it's set to time out. And again, all without violating the DMCA, with which Applian has already been slapped-down (web-search "Applian and Adobe").

this doesn't seem like it would be too incredibly difficult. Or am I missing something?

It is exactly that "incredibly difficult," yes.

What is more trivial is to continue to use the old ASX streams and correct the flaws in Replay A/V as they have been corrected in SirusXMStreamer or the user-altered XM Tuner. I don't work there, but my hypothesis is that Applian doesn't want to spend any more time on the old ASX streams that might disappear any day now, and only create a partial solution anyway since some channels are not being served by the old servers. But that's just a guess from the outside...hard to tell what they are thinking, since they can't really say much from a business standpoint anyway.

We need to stop worrying about Applian altogether, and continue helping each other struggle through until there's no longer any good way of auto-recording at all, and then bid SiriusXM a fond farewell. (I long ago stopped depending on them for music programming, and now only struggle to record one hour every day...of course, the streams are so flawed I need to record the same hour at least twice before I can be certain of getting a complete show...)

CharlieSummers
05-20-2011, 10:18 PM
Just thinking out loud: Does anyone know of an application similar to XM Tuner or SiriusXMStreamer that handles XM Canada or Sirius Canada? IIRC (and yes, I need to research this) they are separate companies from their American counterparts (at least XM Canada is), and still using the Akamai ASX streams exclusively...

dinohall
05-21-2011, 07:52 AM
Let me preface this by saying I know very little about these applications or really computers in general, but is this strictly a XM problem? I am a sirius user and have been using siriusxmstreamer w/ relay a/v for about a week and have not missed 1 recording. That includes new channels and the pre exsisting channels. I am assuming everyone knows this (since I do, see earlier note about me knowing nothing) but just in case I'd throw it out there.

edadks
05-21-2011, 08:53 AM
Currently, neither xmtuner nor siriusxmstreamer can tune in to the xm channels that did not exist before the change. The only program that seems to have figured this out is musicdock, but there's no way to record that unattended.

It's beginning to look like there will not be a solution to this.

I mainly listen to XM105, so now that I cannot record it, I've started an Audible subscription and will close all 3 XM accounts at my next monthly rollover and abandon Replay AV for satrad.

Ed

CharlieSummers
05-21-2011, 07:17 PM
is this strictly a XM problem?

No. Some Sirius Online channels can't be streamed, and some that can have serious issues (205, for example, frequently decides to disconnect every three minutes or so for no good reason I can fathom).

I am a sirius user and have been using siriusxmstreamer w/ relay a/v for about a week and have not missed 1 recording.

This means the channels you wish to record are fine. Consider yourself lucky, since that isn't the case for everyone.

However, it is fair to say the XM side has been impacted considerably more than the Sirius side; on the Sirius side, some judicious editing of the XM Tuner cache file has managed to get most (not all, but most) channels available, just as the edits the author made to SiriusXMStreamer has. This trick doesn't seem to have worked at all on the XM side, so some of us are paying for an XM account and trying to get by with Sirius demo accounts until there might be some light at the end of the tunnel for XM Online, or we give up completely and cancel our accounts.

But if everything you need is working fine, congrats - I sincerely envy you.

emzahn56
05-23-2011, 10:47 AM
I am using a software that seems to work with XM subscribers on new channels and wanted to share the information but each time I type the name, when I review for posting, the software name *********** Streaming the name is **** out. Is there anyway around this? Thank you.

Columbo4Life
05-23-2011, 02:40 PM
edit

CharlieSummers
05-23-2011, 02:54 PM
https://rapidshare.com/files/1191846336/XMtuner_Fix.rar

Apparently you are removing this, and I can understand that, but so you know, by including the line:

::XMTUNER-VERSION-START::0.6.3|SIRIUS::XMTUNER-VERSION-END::

...you mark the file as only for SiriusOnline, so it can't possibility work for, and will be replaced by, anyone using XM Online.

Columbo4Life
05-23-2011, 07:20 PM
Hi,

After hours and hours of trying, I have uploaded a file that should at least work for Sirius subscribers. You can try CharlieSummers tweak for XM subscribers, however, it has to be changed with editor. If opened by word and saved, the file won't work at all afterwards!

https://rapidshare.com/files/92990004/XMtuner_Fix.rar

Recordings work perfectly, even tuning works but needs a trick.

That's the best chance we have for now and I hope I could help as many as possible.

Columbo4Life

Columbo4Life
05-23-2011, 07:39 PM
what xm customers can do to just fix their one or two favorite channels is to find the same file (I explained how in the tutorial included in the rar file), open it with editor find the old channel number and change it against the new one then save the file (all while xmtuner is not running). I don't know whether it works or not but it is worth a shot when my fix and nothing else is working, so you could probably at least record or tune to these stations. Be careful however that there is not 2 identical numbers on different channels (old and new)... you should change both then

Columbo4Life
05-23-2011, 07:51 PM
Remember I'm only trying to help :-)

thehobster
05-23-2011, 08:18 PM
Charlie -

Thanks for the perspective. It helps me understand this is possibly more legal than technical, ie, hacking into the Flash interface.

I suppose if I want to reliably listen to Howard, O&A and Jay Thomas, the onus is on me to buy a home receiver and tape/capture however I can.

In short, this is more bother than it's worth.

I hate to say it, but maybe it's time to look for others doing that and downloading...oh, never mind. I don't need the software police coming down on me too.

ekoncepts
05-24-2011, 12:49 PM
@Columbo4Life,

Thanks for the updated channellineup file. I replaced the old file with your new one as per your instructions and so far so good. With the exception of the channels you noted in the instructions file. I appreciate your hard work.

Thanks

refmon
05-25-2011, 05:05 AM
I am using a software that seems to work with XM subscribers on new channels and wanted to share the information but each time I type the name, when I review for posting, the software name *********** Streaming the name is **** out. Is there anyway around this? Thank you.

Ummm considering we've all posted links to other places and software names I'd find it hard to believe that applian is censoring some words. But if you truely are trying and its changing the words to *** then some creative spelling usually can get you around that - an example would be Na_me_of_soft_ware with a note to remove the underscores. There are censoring options on these type of bbs systems but they usually are looking for exact spellings to filter.

I'd be interested to check out whatever it is you are using - if there really is a solution besides the musicdock (see - not censored) one we found.

CharlieSummers
05-25-2011, 05:46 AM
I hate to say it, but maybe it's time to look for others doing that and downloading...oh, never mind. I don't need the software police coming down on me too.

For this, USENET is your friend...

Unfortunately, some of us have more...esoteric tastes, and record programming that the...um...less-than-scrupulous aren't interested in making available, so we're still searching for less-temporary solutions.

emzahn56
05-25-2011, 10:51 AM
Hi,

The software I am using is *********** Streaming (www.***********.com)

I was recording Channel 156 which changed to a Channel that did not exist before, 111.

The program has worked great but does have some drawbacks.
Unlike AV Replay, you cannot schedule recording so need to be there to start recording. This only works for me because I work from home. It does have a "Preset" option to time the recording and I usually program for 01:30:00 because I launch program earlier than it starts just so I don't forget. Also, in "Settings" you need to uncheck the Automatically Split option otherwise you get a new recording at each commercial. Unfortunately, each time program is launched you need to go in and change these settings because program goes back to default when closed.

The program is not free ($29) but it works with XM Subscribers so worth it for us.

alexthunder
05-25-2011, 11:40 AM
I was recording Channel 156 which changed to a Channel that did not exist before, 111.

The program has worked great but does have some drawbacks.
Unlike AV Replay, you cannot schedule recording so need to be there to start recording. This only works for me because I work from home. It does have a "Preset" option to time the recording and I usually program for 01:30:00 because I launch program earlier than it starts just so I don't forget. Also, in "Settings" you need to uncheck the Automatically Split option otherwise you get a new recording at each commercial. Unfortunately, each time program is launched you need to go in and change these settings because program goes back to default when closed.

The program is not free ($29) but it works with XM Subscribers so worth it for us.
So basically you're suggesting a program that can record from sound card, which doesn't even have a scheduler, right? So one can use Replay Music ($19.95) or any free program instead?

I've seen lots of products mentioned here that are not censored. So you are probably posting about the product promoted by spam.

Test: Audacity, VirtualDub, MP3DirectCut, MP3Splt. See - not censored.

Jeff Lenney
05-25-2011, 11:45 AM
Ummm considering we've all posted links to other places and software names I'd find it hard to believe that applian is censoring some words. But if you truely are trying and its changing the words to *** then some creative spelling usually can get you around that - an example would be Na_me_of_soft_ware with a note to remove the underscores. There are censoring options on these type of bbs systems but they usually are looking for exact spellings to filter.

I'd be interested to check out whatever it is you are using - if there really is a solution besides the musicdock (see - not censored) one we found.

Please understand, only the names of products promoted by spam are censored. Thanks!

Columbo4Life
05-25-2011, 04:10 PM
Hi,

So far 36 people have downloaded the file I uploaded on rapidshare. Don't know if they are all Sirius but I got a lot of positive feedback so far. So for the Sirius subscribers it is definitely worth changing to have it almost back to normal.

CharlieSummers
05-26-2011, 04:21 AM
Please understand, only the names of products promoted by spam are censored. Thanks!

That is simply not true, but nevermind that now. Your house, your rules. Let's just say every day I am a little less inclined to help others here as much as I have been the day before. Delete or edit one more of my posts for no decent reason, and I will be finished.

So far 36 people have downloaded the file I uploaded on rapidshare. Don't know if they are all Sirius but I got a lot of positive feedback so far. So for the Sirius subscribers it is definitely worth changing to have it almost back to normal.

Yes, they are all Sirius...or at any rate, only Sirius users can possibly use the file you provided, for reasons detailed earlier in the thread. XM users cannot use the file you provided, and if they did, XM Tuner would at first run replace the file.

Also, while I appreciate your efforts, it should be said that this has been done before - I am not using your edits to the cache file, I am using the older edited file and it's working fine (but then, I am interested in but one channel).

I am curious about something, though...you don't seem to be using any method for keeping XM Tuner from overwriting the file (read earlier this thread about this issue), which implies it will be overwritten by XM Tuner after a few days. How are you preventing this?

edadks
05-26-2011, 05:45 AM
Since the xm channel I listen to still isn't available through any third party player, I've made some changes.

First, I tried calling Sirius to try to change my online feed to Sirius instead of XM. They said "Nope", we're not going to do that for you. So I opened up a second account with a Sirius online feed with the 30 day trial.

But instead of using xmtuner with the kludges, I've switched to siriusxmstreamer along with replay av. That works perfectly without having to run any batch files. If siriusxmstreamer is able to fix their xm setup, then I'll go back to an xm feed, but either way it seems to be working better than xmtuner.

I now have the same functionality as before May 4 but it's costing me an extra $10 a month for the Sirius feed.

Ed

emzahn56
05-26-2011, 06:42 AM
Hi,
Yes, that must be the case the software I am using is promoted by SPAM. I'm sorry because I didn't know and was really only trying to help:(

Columbo4Life
05-26-2011, 01:15 PM
@CharlieSummers

The thing is, I found out as soon as I edit the file with something else than the editor it is also exchanging the file for me. Just write protectiing it doesn't work obviously, so I changed everything with the editor and went through the original list and just changed the numbers and added some other channels in the end. The file for example provided in the XMTuner forum didn't work for me at all and was replaced right away everytime. So I made my file and now it is working even after restart of my computer and of the service or program itself.

So for the moment, it is fine for me and some others and I am sorry that it doesn't work for everyone!

Funily enough the player software PULSAR for mac worked from day one of the changes and it records fine with their respective recording software.

However, I only have a Macbook Air at the momemnt that I obviously won't leave on all day just to record so that is not an option for me but I think it is at least worth mentioning.

link1277
05-26-2011, 05:14 PM
I have downloaded this file and replaced it in C:\ProgramData\XMTuner but no luck, I only see the old channel line up, this is for Sirius and I'm running Windows 7, any ideas?

edadks
05-26-2011, 07:32 PM
I have downloaded this file and replaced it in C:\ProgramData\XMTuner but no luck, I only see the old channel line up, this is for Sirius and I'm running Windows 7, any ideas?

If you're subscribed to the Sirius feed, use siriusxmstreamer instead of xmtuner. No fancy footwork needed, I think it gets all the Sirius channels without any changes.

CharlieSummers
05-27-2011, 05:52 PM
The thing is, I found out as soon as I edit the file with something else than the editor it is also exchanging the file for me.

Not exactly; the modification date of the file needs to "age-out;" if you manually edit the cache file, it'll get replaced 24-hours or a bit more after the time of edit. For the exact timing, you'd need to ask the XM Tuner developer. I assume it was done to keep XM Tuner from constantly downloading the same data while making sure if anything changed, there would be a timely refresh. (Clearly didn't work at all, but I'm assuming that was the theory behind it, anyway.)

Of course, this problem of XM Tuner replacing the file is easily solved; on un*x, one would use cron and touch. There is a Windows version of the un*x touch command, and Scheduled Tasks takes the place of cron, so it's trivial to update the modification date every hour or so to permanently prevent replacement. (At least if and until XM Tuner's developer delivers the promised update, then all bets may be off on all of the replacements.)

now it is working even after restart of my computer and of the service or program itself.

You may be surprised to find it replaced down-the-road if you don't take steps to prevent it. You don't need a .bat file, only a scheduled task to touch the file.

So for the moment, it is fine for me and some others and I am sorry that it doesn't work for everyone!

Again, it won't work at all for anyone with an XM Online account. But that has more to do with the legacy stream issue (same reason the other applications won't work with all XM Online channels) than with your prefacing the cache file with the Sirius Online information.

I downloaded yours, but there aren't substantial-enough differences between it and the earlier-posted one to warrant my rocking-the-boat by using it when the earlier edit appears to work just fine. Still, I appreciate the work that went into it, and your sharing it with others!

Check the file, specifically the modification date. (Get Properties on the file by selecting it, right-clicking, and "Properties" at the bottom). It sounds like you replaced the file, but XM Tuner immediately replaced the replacement after it decided it was modified too long ago. Without setting up some method for altering the modification date, I can't imagine XM Tuner wouldn't replace the file once it "aged-out."

If you're subscribed to the Sirius feed, use siriusxmstreamer instead of xmtuner. No fancy footwork needed, I think it gets all the Sirius channels without any changes.

Eh, I prefer XM Tuner's service to the SiriusXMStreamer application. Using an edited cache file isn't tough, and allows streaming to occur even when no one is logged into the computer. This is a non-trivial consideration for anyone dealing with, say, power issues and the like. (Applian should take notice of this and alter Replay A/V to run as a service, too, but nevermind that now. Should also note the XM Tuner service isn't perfect, and has occasionally not started. Still, it's better IMHO than wasting the memory footprint for an app you never intend to use anyway.)

Not suggesting SiriusXMStreamer isn't a viable option, but it isn't a plug-and-play replacement for XM Tuner, either. And since nothing can currently handle the new channels on XM Online, it's kinda a wash for me since I need to keep getting demo Sirius accounts and can't use my XM account anyway. Half of me feels like I'm cheating, and the other half of me wants to demand a refund. I am...conflicted. ;)

link1277
05-30-2011, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.......I downloaded SirusXMstreamer and installed and can login and hear music, but I cannot get it to work inside of Replay A/V. I copy URL into Replay A/V and it just keeps getting disconnected.....am I doing something wrong? I am a Sirius Subscriber.

dj_paige
05-30-2011, 08:06 AM
You can modify the cache file for XMTuner if you are an XM subscriber, with the new channel lineup. I posted instructions (https://forum.applian.com//showthread.php?7024-Can-t-record-after-Sirius-XM-channel-number-change&p=24791#post24791) earlier.

CharlieSummers
05-30-2011, 07:34 PM
You can modify the cache file for XMTuner if you are an XM subscriber, with the new channel lineup. I posted instructions earlier.

You can modify it, but it won't do you much good; you cannot get many of the new channels (or more accurately, new channel numbers), because they simply do not exist on the XM side. Check out the note by Steven Kean, developer of SiriusXMStreamer:

On May 4th, 2011, Sirius|XM made some significant channel line up changes. These changes made a large number of the XM streams and a few of the Sirius streams inaccessible via the legacy streams that SiriusXMStreamer uses.

So no amount of editing the cache file will allow you to receive those streams that currently do not exist on those Akamai servers. One of those non-available channels happens to be the only one I care to record, and it is available on the Sirius side of the legacy servers, so I keep getting new demo accounts and leave my XM account lay fallow, hoping against hope someone will find some miracle cure for this.

dj_paige
06-02-2011, 04:39 AM
Your statement "it won't do you much good" is relative; it did a lot of good for me. The channels I want to record all work for me this way. I agree that some channels will not show up this way.

CharlieSummers
06-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Your statement "it won't do you much good" is relative; it did a lot of good for me. The channels I want to record all work for me this way. I agree that some channels will not show up this way.

If you can record them using the old Akamai streams on the XM side, they aren't "new" channel numbers (that is, channels that moved to channel numbers that did not exist prior to the change), and so theoretically could have more easily been recorded without editing the cache file at all. While I haven't personally tested every new channel number, everything I've read, from those who know one heckuva lot more than I do about it, insists that none of the new channel numbers exist on the old XM Akamai streams, at least the way XM Tuner and SiriusXMStreamer interface with them. A direct quote from Steven Kean (SiriusXMStreamer developer): "There are ~50 XM streams that can't be accessed via the legacy streams that SXS uses, but only ~5 Sirius streams missing.

Gary_C
06-15-2011, 06:34 PM
Hi,
I have an XM account. The only channel I am interested in used to be on channel 75, but moved to channel 72. I found that by using XMTuner and selecting the url for Channel 72, I am able to connect. However, I have found in recent weeks that after I log in, I am disconnected after 2 or 3 minutes. Then, the scheduler connects again and I record for another 2 or 3 minutes .. and so on. So, it is completely not usable for me. Is this part of the problem others are experiencing? Thanks.

CharlieSummers
06-17-2011, 06:47 AM
However, I have found in recent weeks that after I log in, I am disconnected after 2 or 3 minutes. Then, the scheduler connects again and I record for another 2 or 3 minutes .. and so on.

I had the exact same issue a while back on XM Public Radio (only available on-line on the old streams on the Sirius side at 205). It was transient...I could record one day, the next it would do that every-three-minute thing. Some days I missed the morning recording because of it, then the re-run at three in the afternoon would be fine.

Suggest you keep trying; assuming the problem I'm having today (a complete inability to record anything) is a fluke on my end, you might find it starts working just fine in a day or two.