PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 SP1: upgrade or not?

myersph
03-19-2011, 07:39 AM
Before upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 7-SP1, just wondered if anyone had any adverse reactions to RMC (or any other programs)?

stream-recorder.com
03-19-2011, 01:55 PM
I installed Windows 7 SP1. Don't have any problems with RMC 3.11 and RMC 4. I tried to run RMC 3.11 (don't usually do it this days) and it didn't crash.

I had other problems with Windows 7 SP1 x64 though:
1. Lots of problems with USB devices. Some of them like USB flash drives are not detected or work really slow.
2. I did manage to install Windows Vista sound driver in Windows 7 without SP1, but now I can't do it. So I don't have the Stereo Mix anymore. Besides MS audio driver allows me to play 3.1 sound, but 5.1 doesn't work anymore.
3. After upgading I had problem after logging in (atbroker.exe and explorer.exe error which didn't allow me to use Windows 7 at all). I removed my firewall in the safe mode and re-installed after rebooting.

Bottom line:
I don't like the upgrade. I don't have any problems with USB or sound in Windows XP and Ubuntu Linux. The strong point of Windows has always been drivers, but personally I don't see it with the latest upgrade.
It might work for you much better. Since in many cases you can get back to a restore point, or you can do some other steps to revert the changes, it is worth trying the upgrade.