PDA

View Full Version : Problems with dowloading BBC iplayer beginning 6 Jan 2011

JohnB
01-06-2011, 04:08 AM
Suddenly get problems downloading from BBC iplayer on 6 Jan 2011. Any one else got problems? RMC 4.0.19 picks up the stream & downloads 5 or 6 Mb then stops with "Complete with errors" message. RMC 3.11 will not even start downloading a stream, it picks one up and then I get the red circle with a white explaination mark in it. Keep trying wit different programs but no luck.

Is it me or have the BBC managed to halt RMC downloading?

JohnB

stream-recorder.com
01-06-2011, 05:10 AM
Tried to record BBC Radio 1 live using RMC 4.0.19 in the RTMP recording mode and didn't have any problem. Any specific URL you have problem with?

JohnB
01-06-2011, 06:44 AM
Thanks for your input

Interesting. I was actiually trying TV programs BBC1 & 2
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00x7bxj/The_Sky_at_Night_03_01_2011/
and
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00xb94b/Countryfile_02_01_2011/

I have tried with radio BBC7 and got the result that it downloaded 5 or 6 Mb and either completed with error or thought it had finished at 5 or 6Mb and converted to MP£ which it supposed to do giving about min of a 30 min program.

I better try another computer. I doubt that it is my ISP Virgin ...

JohnB

blazegmc
01-06-2011, 07:05 AM
hey i managed to capture both the urls with no problems using both versions 3 and 4

lisa
01-06-2011, 11:53 AM
I've also started encountering a problem using Replay Media Catcher for BBC iPlayer shows from both BBC Radio 4 and BBC Radio 7 today. However, in my case, when the iPlayer shows started playing, Replay Media Catcher 4 gave me a message saying:

"The following stream has been detected as a secure stream:

28c33cec-cc7a-40e2-943b-678de6021a67.flv

A secure stream can not be downloaded independently
but will continue to be recorded whilst it is playing in your browser."

I got this same message (with a different stream number) for each show. Letting them play in real time did work, but I couldn't open another show before the first one was done or else RMC4 would end recording of the first stream.

As a test I tried a show I had recorded without problem yesterday. It also gave the "secure stream" message.

Radiograbber
01-06-2011, 12:14 PM
I've been using RMC for a year, mainly for radio downloads, and have just joined the forum (hello!) to say I'm having the same trouble with RMC 3.11. I'm on Pipex by the way.

Example url: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00x3yjn/Word_of_Mouth_04_01_2011/

Double clicking the failed download brings up the following:

--------------
Internal error while trying to download RTMP stream
Exception:
m_nErrType = 15
m_strDesc = "SWF Verification detected -- Sorry, these RTMP connections are not allowed to be analyzed."
m_strFile = F:\proj32\TestRTMPClient\RTMPStreamRip.cpp
m_nLineNumber = 899
--------------

I've tried a few other TV and radio programmes at random and am getting the same result, although strangely enough I had no trouble capturing the clips from here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00d3cwq

Could it possibly depend on which version of the RTMP plugin is being used? I've got backup copies of plugin_zrtmp.dll version 5.2.6.9 and 5.3.6.9 so have tried both but get the same problem with both of them. Reinstalling the program hasn't helped. Perhaps blazegmc could confirm which version is working OK?

Interestingly, the freeware program Radio Downloader still works perfectly so I can get the episode of Word Of Mouth (and plenty more besides) with that, but I'd much rather use RMC! StreamTransport also works, but only in real time rather than rapidly downloading so is no use for this particular purpose.

stonebeard
01-06-2011, 01:07 PM
similar issues here - it started last night and now it will not work at all. I get the following message when trying to capture radio programmes

Exception:
m_nErrType = 15
m_strDesc = "SWF Verification detected -- Sorry, these RTMP connections are not allowed to be analyzed."
m_nLineNumber = 912

stream-recorder.com
01-06-2011, 01:47 PM
similar issues here - it started last night and now it will not work at all. I get the following message when trying to capture radio programmes

Exception:
m_nErrType = 15
m_nLineNumber = 912
RTMP streams with SWF verification can be captured with Replay Media Catcher 4. Go to Tools -> Settings -> RTMP Download Tweaks and tick the checkbox to always record RTMP streams instead of downloading.

Could it possibly depend on which version of the RTMP plugin is being used? I've got backup copies of plugin_zrtmp.dll version 5.2.6.9 and 5.3.6.9 so have tried both but get the same problem with both of them. Reinstalling the program hasn't helped. Perhaps blazegmc could confirm which version is working OK?
This might be the case. There were a couple of versions of plugin_zrtmp.dll that were supporting RTMP and RTMPE streams. But this was long ago:
As of January 28, 2009, any newly installed copy of Replay Media Catcher does not support Adobe Secure RTMP Measures. (http://www.applian.com/replay-media-catcher/support/secure-rtmp-measures.php)

If you download RMC 3 from Applian, it won't support SWF verification and RTMPE even if you see the same version of plugin_zrtmp.dll

JohnB
01-06-2011, 01:51 PM
blazegmc

what settings were you using with version 4? Did you have one of the Downloading /Recording boxes ticked in the RTMP Download Tweaks ticked so that you had to keep the iplayer window open & playing and the whole thing was recorded in real time??

It looks as if the streams in Video and Radio have suddenly changed to secure so that they can only be recorded in real time and only one at a time.

Oh well, I will have no excuse to upgrade my broadband contract to a higher bandwidth as it will not enable me to download video at a higher speed now!

Any hope that Applian might be able to crack the secure streams to get super download back?

Radiograbber
01-06-2011, 03:36 PM
OK, after much faffing about I was going to give up totally but then decided to try reverting to RMC 3.02 and can now download iPlayer radio again. The rtmp plugin is file version 5.3.6.9, date created 02/03/2009. The installer is RCATSetup302.exe, file version 7.0.5.1, date created 11/07/2009. I already had this on my hard drive, rather than downloading it from the website just now, so that explains why it works.

Thanks for the advice.

UPDATE: Aaaaargh! After closing and re-opening the program, it's back to the same problem again. :mad:

I've also tried using an older version of the plugin that I found on another website (5.2.6.9 dated 13/01/2009) and this looked promising as the stream was captured successfully and downloaded, but upon completion it fails to save the file. The error is "Unable to save RTMP stream in proper format! Does the file already exist in storage directory?" which of course it doesn't so I am completely stumped.

Radiograbber
01-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Any hope that Applian might be able to crack the secure streams to get super download back?

I think that is very unlikely, given this statement at the top of the page that stream-recorder linked to:
"We have resolved a dispute with Adobe Systems Incorporated, without admitting any wrongdoing or liability, by agreeing not to circumvent any Secure RTMP Measures developed by Adobe."

blazegmc
01-06-2011, 03:52 PM
johnb ........ yeh i had to have the window open in the background while i downloaded the url with version 4and have the record secure streams box ticked , but with version 3.11 i could close it because i have the OLD plugin installed...

however, i just tried the example given in radiograbbers url and version 3.11 failed after 26mb and said unable to save rtmp in propper format and i couldnt retreive any of it, so i dont really know whats going. on

blazegmc
01-06-2011, 04:00 PM
@ radio grabber, i too have been using the 5.2.6.9 plugin for a few months and have NEVER had any problems with it untill today.... starting to look like bad times ahead.

stonebeard
01-07-2011, 07:28 AM
thanks -I shall give it a go.

jonnyewing
01-07-2011, 07:37 AM
I'm also started getting the "A secure stream can not be downloaded independently but will continue to be recorded whilst it is playing in your browser" message in RMC4 this week when recording iPlayer radio programmes.

So far, that message appears to be correct - recording has worked as long as I keep the programme playing and leave my browser window open. If I pause the programme, the recording pauses, too. So it's not exactly the end of the world, but a little less convenient than before.

FYI I haven't tried doing two simultaneous recordings.

ginoT
01-07-2011, 04:16 PM
having trouble also since the 6th. using version 3.11

BBC have definitely updated something somewhere

have tried using Chrome, Firefox, Opera and IE Explorer - same problem with the lot of them. There seems to be a small proportion of iplayer items which I can record for some reason. But the majority doesn't work. Major pain - am considering a full on XP reinstall..

castalla
01-07-2011, 07:32 PM
Looks like BBC iPlayer is a no-no for RMC and the much-touted WMR alternative. Both fail to capture BBC material. This is a saga like the old satellite crack cards and gizmos. Ridiculous!

Danishblue
01-08-2011, 06:00 AM
Had the same problem with Replay Media Catcher.

WM Recorder 14 still works after a fashion. Not on RTMP but on http mode. It will still download in parallel as 96k wmv files. At least it still allows you to download en masse for the time being.

stream-recorder.com
01-08-2011, 08:27 AM
WM Recorder 14 still works after a fashion. Not on RTMP but on http mode. It will still download in parallel as 96k wmv files. At least it still allows you to download en masse for the time being.
I just downloaded the following 29 min RTMP stream with WM Recorder 14.8 in the WMX mode in less than 10 seconds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00x3yjn/Word_of_Mouth_04_01_2011/

Then tried Loopback Stream Recorder that comes with WMR 14.8. It works fine in the Download mode as well. I was able to download multiple RTMP streams from BBC simultaneously (although it seem to be better to download one stream at a time).

Fanciulla
01-08-2011, 09:31 AM
I have exactly the same problem. BBC have clearly changed streaming methods (they seem to make changes rather over once a year). I can now only load one program at a time and in real time - rather than several in accelerated mode. The BBC has reverted to giving the stream the name of the program so the resulting file no longer needs to be renamed.

I too hope Applian can do something about this change. It is a real pain not being able to record several different program simultaneously - and taking only a minute or so for a half-hour radio program.

Sool
01-09-2011, 01:27 AM
Like others, I have discovered this forum whilst trying to figure out what the BBC have been up to. Historically, I have used another Applian product, Jaksta to grab BBC radio shows.

Early on 06 January I simultaneously downloaded a handful of shows, one of which turned out to be incomplete. Later that morning I re-attempted the incomplete download, only to be hit with a message regarding secure streams. I was then only able to record the programme, and it was necessary to leave the iPlayer window open for this to occur. The change occurred somewhere around 9.30 AM GMT and it has remained in place ever since.

I have also stumbled across brief interludes when it suddenly becomes possible to download programmes once again, but these have been brief and erratic.

I suspect that those who report seeing incomplete downloads since the change, have done so because they closed the iPlayer window.

riv-dogg
01-10-2011, 02:57 AM
I do hope the Applian people will try and find a fix for this - In the UK the ability to download BBC Radio from the listen again site is a huge attraction. For people like me who are nearly always working when radio shows air the ability to catch up during the daily commute is incredibly useful. I'm not sure what the BBC are up to here - are they really trying to stop us 'podcasting' their content or is this just a byproduct of some other change? - Please investigate for us and see if we can get the service back.

In the meanwhile http://www.iplayerconverter.co.uk/ has links to a lot of listen again content as wma files. These download just fine in Replay AV.( I think there is a 'how to' on youtube somewhere).

Cheryl Wester
01-10-2011, 06:51 PM
In order to record this you need to let it play. They have changed the way it streams. It will work but it will only download while the link is actively playing in real time.

riv-dogg
01-11-2011, 05:45 AM
The problem here is that RMC4 is no longer a workable tool for us BBC fans. We have gone from being able to download and convert a whole weeks listening in half and hour to the job taking up a whole day- which ain't going to happen. The question is are the BBC really trying to stop us doing this, or have they just made a change for other reasons which you could fix. I understand the whole issue over secure streams, but as a long time customer I really would like you to go the extra mile and find out if the BBC are deliberately doing this to prevent downloading. Meanwhile there are a couple of things that might help

1) Are there generic URLs that would allow us to use RMC4 to record BBC channels on a scheduled basis - this is much more practical than recording links in real-time - if you could find out what these are and make them available to us this would be a great help.

2) http://www.iplayerconverter.co.uk/ has links to a lot of listen again content as wma files. These download just fine in Replay AV.( I think there is a 'how to' on youtube somewhere). Slower than RMC, but better than nothing.

juanlfm
01-11-2011, 07:18 AM
I was a user of WM14 then changed to RMC so it is really dissappointing. What is hard to understand is why the BBC have decided to change the way they deliver their programs. Is it worth contacting them I wonder. They may not be aware that something they might have done has such an impact.

Shellie Heggenberger
01-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Hi,
I have been testing BBC iPlayer and Replay Media Catcher can capture from it. Some web sites change the URL of each media file every time it is played (we have no control over this) in which case Replay Media Catcher uses the record method to capture a file. This method is slower, and captures the file as it is played. You will need to keep the player window open while your audio or video plays from start to finish. In Replay Media Catcher settings, under RTMP download tweaks, you can select: Always record RTMP streams (instead of downloading): Select this option if you discover that many of your favorite sites can't be recorded. If this is in effect, you'll need to play the entire file to capture it.

myersph
01-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Sometime ago I bookmarked this site but I don't understand it enough to say whether it helps the issue or not? Perhaps someone could advise.

http://beebhack.wikia.com/wiki/IPlayer_TV

SteveCop
01-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Despite Shellie's post, it is not possible to download from BBC7 as the secure stream message comes up every time. Always record RMTP streams does not overcome this problem. The option to record whilst listening is of little practical use unless you can afford to spend 6 or more hours in front of your computer whilst the weeks choice downloads. Why would anyone want to do this, even if they had the time? They might as well listen live!!! The whole point of using Applian software is to overcome this so that you can quickly capture programs without wasting too much time and then listen to them whilst you are away from an internet connection, travelling maybe. I did try recording whilst two programs I really wanted played but RMC4 was not able to capture them properly as my broadband connection is not fast and occasionally drops out. As soon as that happened RMC4 terminated the recording so I captured a few minutes only. The recording did not résumé when the stream started playing again. Eventually I had to go back to recording the audio stream through my computer though clearly this is far from ideal.

This really is a big issue. Without this functionaility there is little point to me in having RMC (= no further upgrade purchases or recommendations). I cannot see why the BBC have suddenly made this change without saying anything about it. Interestingly I also had the secure stream message come up whilst I tried to capture a little YouTube clip a couple of days ago. The next day I was able to capture it without any problem. Are we absolutely certain the BBC is the cause of this or might there be something connected with a recent Adobe or even Applian update?

riv-dogg
01-12-2011, 02:56 AM
I agree with Stevecop - we need Applian to investigate what is going on here - It may well be that the BBC have made a change for reasons other than preventing us from downloading. After all they make all the links to .wma media available to the <http://www.iplayerconverter.co.uk/ site>. Actually I have found that you can paste the URLs that link directly to .wma media into RMC4 and they will download - albeit far more slowly than flash media. It just doesn't seem logical to me that they are deliberately preventing the download of iplayer radio shows when they are helpfully providing links to other sites.

Applian seem to have the attitude that as soon as the 'secure stream' message crops up that they wash their hands of the matter. Let's be clear about this - the software we have purchased is now useless until this problem is fixed. The worst that can happen if they open a dialogue with the BBC is to be told they can't tweak the code to download instead of record; which is precisely where we are now.

I've got another problem at the moment where Trend Micro virus protection is preventing ReplayAV from running. Support don't seem to be very motivated to help with this. Can I just make the point that the value in software products really lies in the quality of support. In the world of streaming media things are going to change all the time and the products have to evolve to cope with this.

myersph
01-12-2011, 03:03 AM
My trick is to untick the box saying “automatically record when secure RMTP stream is detected”. I have tried some of the above mentioned problem areas and download worked 100%.

Sool
01-12-2011, 04:15 AM
My trick is to untick the box saying “automatically record when secure RMTO stream is detected”. I have tried some of the above mentioned problem areas and download worked 100%.

I suspect that you have simply encountered one of the brief windows of opportunity when it suddenly becomes possible to download again.

This problem is definitely at the BBC's end of things. As things stand, a couple of workarounds are possible.

The first is click on the WMA links over at http://www.iplayerconverter.co.uk It is thereby possible to perform multiple concurrent RTSP downloads. The resulting MP3 files sound indistinguishable to my ears. The main downsides are that...

1. Programs sometimes take a little longer to become available, as compared to iPlayer.
2. The resulting MP3 files need renaming
3. The listings aren't as convenient as iPlayer's
4. Downloads are slower and super download is not an option.

Another workaround is to use multiple browsers to record the desired programs concurrently. It is possible to have independent iPlayer windows open in Firefox, IE, Chrome etc. It sounds messy coming through the speakers, but Jaksta distinguishes between the individual streams, and records them separately. I imagine that RMC will do the same.

It must be possible for Applian to fix things though. Radio Downloader follows the .flv route and continues to rapidly download BBC programs as before.

cutswood
01-12-2011, 06:33 AM
My trick is to untick the box saying “automatically record when secure RMTP stream is detected”. I have tried some of the above mentioned problem areas and download worked 100%.

myersph .........well done.Short confident answer.
I read the long comment from Sool preceded by "I suspect" and decided to test his statement by recording a program with box ticked and unticked.Worked for me.But I tried it several times to eliminate any luck with windows of opportunity.Worked everytime.
Reading many of the other comments in relation to the media catcher software there appears to be some people who would rather sound off (and take on the BBC??? and Applian) rather than work out the problem within the forum.

Sool
01-12-2011, 07:17 AM
myersph .........well done.Short confident answer.
I read the long comment from Sool preceded by "I suspect" and decided to test his statement by recording a program with box ticked and unticked.Worked for me.But I tried it several times to eliminate any luck with windows of opportunity.Worked everytime.
Reading many of the other comments in relation to the media catcher software there appears to be some people who would rather sound off (and take on the BBC??? and Applian) rather than work out the problem within the forum.

I have just returned to this forum to report that my own experiments have produced exactly the same in Jaksta. Having unchecked that box it's currently working for me too, with a BBC program that I could only record 20 minutes ago.

However, the option in question is only available in my most recent installation of Jaksta. I have the preceding version installed on my laptop, and this still detects all BBC streams as secure and insists on recording them, including the one I've just downloaded.

Moreover, even though the latest version of Jaksta will now download a stream, as opposed to recording it, this will only happen whilst the iPlayer window remains open; hence simultaneous concurrent downloads are not possible as they were beforehand.

So there has been a change at the BBC's end of things, and Applian's support staff above are agreeing that there is a problem. They are not sounding off against themselves :)

riv-dogg
01-12-2011, 10:01 AM
Reading many of the other comments in relation to the media catcher software there appears to be some people who would rather sound off (and take on the BBC??? and Applian) rather than work out the problem within the forum

I don't understand this comment at all - the forum is a good place to discuss workarounds - you will see I have suggested several - but fixing the software is Applian's job - and I think it is fair comment to say they could be more proactive in this - and keep us informed better.

Right now I can only see two reasonable workarounds
1) use http://www.iplayerconverter.co.uk/ to find the links to wma media and download it from those.
2) Revert to using Replay AV8 which has a really good built in scheduler and will deliver converted files 'ready to play' in a folder of your choice.

Can I just repeat my point that the BBC are voluntarily supplying the wma links to the guy that runs the iplayer converter site - so why shouldn't they cooperate with Applian - you seem to want to see everything as confrontation rather than cooperation.

Gadfly
01-12-2011, 11:27 AM
myersph's answer may have been short and confident. Unfortunately it doesn't really provide the solution, because the player window still needs to remain open for downloading to be possible

I have found that through combining myersph's solution with Sool's suggestion of using different browsers to open individual player windows, I am able to download several programs simultaneously and with reasonable haste. It's more work than before, but beats waiting for each program to record.

Radiograbber
01-12-2011, 02:39 PM
It must be possible for Applian to fix things though. Radio Downloader follows the .flv route and continues to rapidly download BBC programs as before.

I'm now using Radio Downloader in earnest and it works very well indeed. In fact, I almost wish I'd switched over to it sooner as it lets you subscribe to multiple series and will then download every episode automatically. It saves the results as mp3 files, usually at 128k, and I can highly recommend it to anyone still struggling to download BBC radio. Unfortunately it doesn't have any means of downloading TV programmes.

Radio Downloader uses flvstreamer, which can cope with the BBC radio streams despite the info on the flvstreamer website saying it is "forked from rtmpdump v1.6 with encrypted rtmp and swf verification support removed" which is what I thought was causing the problem with RMC! Maybe they've put it back in again?!

Shellie Heggenberger
01-13-2011, 07:25 AM
It looks like BBC iplayer may have changed the way they stream. We have no control over this. Unfortunately Replay Media Catcher 3 can no longer capture it. Replay Media Catcher 4 is able to capture it. This is a secure stream and you will need to keep the player window open while your audio or video plays from start to finish.

Sool
01-14-2011, 12:04 AM
I'm now using Radio Downloader in earnest and it works very well indeed. In fact, I almost wish I'd switched over to it sooner as it lets you subscribe to multiple series and will then download every episode automatically. It saves the results as mp3 files, usually at 128k, and I can highly recommend it to anyone still struggling to download BBC radio.

Agreed - it's a stunningly good program in fact.

It automates everything, it doesn't open an iPlayer window and the resulting MP3 files contain a useful program description within the Tag's comments field :D Certainly worth a donation to the author.

Jeff Lenney
01-14-2011, 10:08 PM
Agreed - it's a stunningly good program in fact.

It automates everything, it doesn't open an iPlayer window and the resulting MP3 files contain a useful program description within the Tag's comments field :D Certainly worth a donation to the author.

Replay Media Catcher 4 i (http://applian.com/download-videos/)s able to capture it. This is a secure stream and you will need to keep the player window open while your audio or video plays from start to finish.

Richard Adams
01-15-2011, 01:18 PM
I have had this problem since Jan 1st - see my post about the new year concert.

Unfortunately keeping the iplayer open still does not guarantee downloading these files if there is a tiny buffer interuption because that is enough to cut the download.

It seems we are back to "record what u hear"

castalla
01-15-2011, 07:15 PM
Pity Applian can only offer RMC 4 as a solution .... pay us again, please.

Why, if Radio Downloader does what people want?

I used to sing the praises of RMC .... but recently I've become disillusioned - poor tech support, failure to recognise problems and fix them.

If they recommend WMR (http://wmrecorder.com/download.php)again, I'll scream!

Sorry!

Sool
01-16-2011, 01:32 AM
Unfortunately keeping the iplayer open still does not guarantee downloading these files if there is a tiny buffer interuption because that is enough to cut the download.

In your case there appears to be two possible workarounds...

One is to try downloading the WMA files from http://www.iplayerconverter.co.uk I use Jaksta (http://jaksta.com/), which will download WMA files simultaneously then automatically convert them to MP3s. Jaksta appears to be identical to RMC4.

Alternatively, get yourself a copy of the freeware Radio Downloader, which downloads programs without even opening the iPlayer window.

stream-recorder.com
01-18-2011, 12:50 AM
To download rtmp:// streams from BBC you can use rtmpdump.exe as a plug-in for Replay Media Catcher 4.1.0. Just download rtmpdump.exe and place it into the Replay Media Catcher directory. Then go to Tools -> Settings -> Plugins and add the following:

Protocol: RTMP
Url Match: bbcmedia.fcod.llnwd.net
Executable: rtmpdump.exe
Parameters: -r "{url}" -o "{file}" --app "{app}" --flashVer "{flashVer}" --swfUrl "{swfUrl}" --tcUrl "{tcUrl}" --pageUrl "{pageUrl}" --playpath "{playPath}" -V

Note that this requires Replay Media Catcher 4.1.0

blazegmc
01-18-2011, 08:01 AM
wasnt the last release 4.0.19 ???? how can we get 4.1?

Radiograbber
01-18-2011, 01:21 PM
And by "download rtmp:// streams" do you mean high speed download without needing to keep it playing in the iPlayer? If so, thanks very much for the tip - I may just have to buy RMC 4!

If not, I've found that Stream Transport v1.0.2.2041 can download video from iPlayer and 4OD in real time. Apparently the latest version can't, so you'll have to search for the previous one.

stream-recorder.com
01-19-2011, 01:38 AM
wasnt the last release 4.0.19 ???? how can we get 4.1?
4.1 is in alfa, so not released to the open public yet.

And by "download rtmp:// streams" do you mean high speed download without needing to keep it playing in the iPlayer?
Exactly

Radiograbber
01-19-2011, 02:34 AM
Excellent news, thanks. Looking forward to the public release...

blazegmc
01-19-2011, 02:43 AM
sounds promising ..thaaaanks for the news

alexthunder
01-21-2011, 11:53 PM
RMC 4.1.1 is available for download... will be testing

blazegmc
01-22-2011, 04:04 AM
this may be a dumb question, but where it says -r "(url)" do we type URL into that or the url of the video we want to download????

MatthewC1000
01-22-2011, 05:52 AM
As it turns out...rtmpdump doesnt seem to work with replay media catcher 4 latest version on all versions of windows....I got a simple solution; rather then replay media catcher not download any RTMPE streams (since thats the purpose of rtmpdump)....why not make Replay media catcher download the protected stream in question and, give the user the benefit of the doubt. Despite rtmpdump is not working properly. as long as rtmpdump.exe is located in the program files/applian tech/replay media catcher folder.

Just giving you guys the heads up.

Best regards.

:)

stream-recorder.com
01-22-2011, 09:37 AM
this may be a dumb question, but where it says -r "(url)" do we type URL into that or the url of the video we want to download????
Just copy-paste everything from my previous post (https://forum.applian.com/showthread.php?6183-Problems-with-dowloading-BBC-iplayer-beginning-6-Jan-2011&p=22177#post22177):

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/4950/rmc4bbcrtmpdump.jpg

But you don't seem to need this anymore. At least the rtmp streams from BBC 4 that I tried were perfectly downloaded with RMC 4.1.1 in the RTMP Downloading Mode. It seems that URL detection takes longer, but RMC downloads much faster than in real time. And I was able to download multiple streams from BBC Radio 4 simultaneously.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/5749/rmc4bbc.jpg

Great work, Applian!!!

alexthunder
01-22-2011, 09:59 AM
As it turns out...rtmpdump doesnt seem to work with replay media catcher 4 latest version on all versions of windows....I got a simple solution; rather then replay media catcher not download any RTMPE streams (since thats the purpose of rtmpdump)....why not make Replay media catcher download the protected stream in question and, give the user the benefit of the doubt. Despite rtmpdump is not working properly. as long as rtmpdump.exe is located in the program files/applian tech/replay media catcher folder.

RMC 4.1.1 downloaded rtmp:// stream from BBC using rtmpdump.exe:

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/9360/rmc4bbcrtmpdumpfinished.jpg

p.s. I'm not telling you that this will work with RTMPE streams.

blazegmc
01-22-2011, 11:44 AM
@ stream recorder... thanks for that , seems to be working fine now.

MatthewC1000
01-22-2011, 02:13 PM
is it normal for rtmpdump.exe to close as soon as its launched...2nd...what are the techniques/tricks to get rtmpdump to work properly. I have tried serveral methods...nothing seems to work....I'm really looking foward to this. what version of rtmpdump is recomended to work with replay media catcher?

Best Regards.

alexthunder
01-22-2011, 04:38 PM
is it normal for rtmpdump.exe to close as soon as its launched...2nd...what are the techniques/tricks to get rtmpdump to work properly. I have tried serveral methods...nothing seems to work....I'm really looking foward to this. what version of rtmpdump is recomended to work with replay media catcher?
I just used rtmpdump 2.3 (it is the latest one unless you want to compile it from SVN)

http://rtmpdump.mplayerhq.hu/download/rtmpdump-2.3-windows.zip

I used the settings from the stream-recorder's post (https://forum.applian.com/showthread.php?6183-Problems-with-dowloading-BBC-iplayer-beginning-6-Jan-2011&p=22177#post22177).

Make sure your firewall is not blocking rtmpdump.exe. And see the RMC log to find out the exact error. It may help to solve the problem.

riv-dogg
01-23-2011, 03:27 AM
I've applied these settings and it works, but...... I can't seem to download much more than about 40mins - before with a high value in the 'client buffer' I could get about 80 mins. This value now seems to have a max of 36000.

So it's two steps forward and one back again. Other software seems to have no problem with long duration shows- so it can be done.

Also I get a high proportion of ffmpeg fails in RMC4, yet the same files convert flawlessly every time in Replay Converter - so Applian have the technology, but it isn't in RMC4.

Anyway, praise where it is due - we seem to have a fix in progress so thanks for this.

blazegmc
01-23-2011, 04:52 AM
@ RIVV-DOGG have u tried selecting RESUME in the rtmp settings?????? mine kept stopping after so long, but this reconnects and continues the stream....

alexthunder
01-23-2011, 02:52 PM
Also I get a high proportion of ffmpeg fails in RMC4, yet the same files convert flawlessly every time in Replay Converter - so Applian have the technology, but it isn't in RMC4.
If this is only about BBC radio, try to extract MP3 tracks to MP3 and AAC tracks to m4a or m4b using RMC 4. It is lossless, fast and you get files compatible with an iPod.

I've applied these settings and it works, but...... I can't seem to download much more than about 40mins - before with a high value in the 'client buffer' I could get about 80 mins. This value now seems to have a max of 36000.

Downloading 3 streams (each one over 40 minutes) simulteneously (RMC 4.1.1 with rtmpdump plug-in):

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/863/rmc411rtmpdumpbbcradio3.jpg

All 3 files were downloaded successfully.

I then tried to download a 210 minute show from BBC with RMC 4.1.1 (without rtmpdump.exe) and was able to download the FLV file without any problem.

I was able to extract AAC tracks from all 4 downloaded files onto M4A. They play on an iPod just fine.

Bottom line:
1. RMC 4.1.1 works for me on BBC with rtmpdump or without it.
2. AAC to M4A audio extraction is better than conversion.

riv-dogg
01-24-2011, 01:40 AM
Thanks Alexthunder

Maybe RMC was passing comment on my low taste as I was trying to download 'The Story of Funk' from R2, rather than opera from R3. Anyway I have just downloaded both of these (Including the 210 minute Rigoletto) just fine so who knows why it wouldn't work yesterday !

I hear you about extraction, but the player I use doesn't support AAC - perhaps I need a better class of MP3 player as well!. -Thanks for your help

alexthunder
01-24-2011, 11:59 AM
Maybe RMC was passing comment on my low taste as I was trying to download 'The Story of Funk' from R2, rather than opera from R3. Anyway I have just downloaded both of these (Including the 210 minute Rigoletto) just fine so who knows why it wouldn't work yesterday !
Now that there are 2 options for downloading (with and without rtmpdump), there should be much less problems with BBC

I hear you about extraction, but the player I use doesn't support AAC - perhaps I need a better class of MP3 player as well!
If you want to avoid quality loss, it is a good idea to have a player with AAC support. I use my smart phone for playing audio files. After installing core player I can play most formats.

Recorded FLV files can be difficult to convert. But in my experience after fixing them with the Fix FLV Tool from RMC, they are usually converted just fine.

Sool
01-27-2011, 12:29 AM
I'm pleased to report that Jaksta (http://www.jaksta.com/) 4.1.1 (which appears to be identical to RMC 4.1.1) has just been released. They've fixed it!

It will now speedily and simultaneously download multiple BBC RTMP iPlayer content (even long shows) without the need for plugins and with the iPlayer window closed :D

riv-dogg
01-28-2011, 09:38 AM
Good! we seem to back in operation as regards BBC radio.

A couple of points - There has been a lot of mention of other software in this thread. I have been using Applian programs for about six years now and one way or another they have kept me recording even though the BBC have changed their streaming methods many times. Over the same time period several good freeware downloaders have appeared, but the authors stop supporting them and they stop working after a while. The value in software is really in the support that you get.

It's great that RMC is working for us again, but the technology is bound to change again - and hopefully Applian will fix it. My only criticism is that I think we could have been kept informed a bit better - perhaps this is because different different developers are involved. It would just have nice to be told 'yes we know there's a problem and we are working to fix it'

Jeff Lenney
01-28-2011, 07:34 PM
Thanks Riv-dogg. Glad to still have you with us. :-)

Unfortunately, BBC kinda snuck up on us with this one. The issue was being worked on since the first hour we found out about it, however we're not able to post constant updates or even state an ETA - as that might change. There have been times we spent 100 hours on a programming fix, only to have it not work quite as we expected.

Having said that, thank you EVERYBODY for your patience - and we'll do our best to keep you updated in the event of this type of issue again. :)

Sool
01-29-2011, 12:46 AM
Unfortunately, BBC kinda snuck up on us with this one.

I think we can all accept that, but I remain curious about what actually changed. On 14 January you said...

"This is a secure stream and you will need to keep the player window open while your audio or video plays from start to finish".

Are the BBC now using secure streams, or was RMC perceiving the streams as secure?

The issue was being worked on since the first hour we found out about it, however we're not able to post constant updates or even state an ETA - as that might change.

Whilst it is good to know that Applian were immediately on the case, posting something on the lines of "We recognise that BBC streams have changed and we are endeavouring to fix things" may have helped keep a few folks on board.

That said, I am absolutely delighted that Applian were ultimately able to provide a solution :)

My eventual workaround during the outage was to create additional Firefox profiles that could run simultaneously and independently of each other (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/internet/firefox/use-multiple-firefox-profiles-at-the-same-time/). This allowed me to have multiple iPlayer windows open at once, which in turn enabled Jaksta/RMC to capture multiple concurrent recordings.

Jeff Lenney
01-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Hi Sool,

Thanks for your feedback, we will keep this in mind the next time this type of issue occurs.

Thanks again for hanging in there :)

Ninjew
02-03-2011, 10:18 PM
It looks like BBC iplayer may have changed the way they stream. We have no control over this. Unfortunately Replay Media Catcher 3 can no longer capture it. Replay Media Catcher 4 is able to capture it. This is a secure stream and you will need to keep the player window open while your audio or video plays from start to finish.

Unfortunately, RMC 4 will NOT capture the HD video streams. I get an error message, and a zero kb file.

stream-recorder.com
02-04-2011, 03:22 AM
Unfortunately, RMC 4 will NOT capture the HD video streams. I get an error message, and a zero kb file.
There is nothing Applian can do about it:
As of January 28, 2009, any newly installed copy of Replay Media Catcher does not support Adobe Secure RTMP Measures. (http://www.applian.com/replay-media-catcher/support/secure-rtmp-measures.php)

Ninjew
02-04-2011, 07:32 AM
There is nothing Applian can do about it:

Which is odd, because my previous version of 4 and even version 3 could do it before. And I've owned my copy for less than a year.

stream-recorder.com
02-04-2011, 10:20 AM
Which is odd, because my previous version of 4 and even version 3 could do it before. And I've owned my copy for less than a year.
Web-sites change the way they stream content from time to time.

Could you please quote the exact error that you get?

Ninjew
02-05-2011, 08:12 AM
Web-sites change the way they stream content from time to time.

Could you please quote the exact error that you get?

On the main RMC4, it says "Complete with errors. Double click to view."

When I double click, I see the following:

Recording of rtmpt://iplayertokfs.fplive.net:80/iplayertok?token=c3RhcnRfdGltZT0yMDExMDIwNTEzMDczN iZlbmRfdGltZT0yMDExMDIwNTE3MDczNiZkaWdlc3Q9ZmU5MTM xZmEwNDU3M2NkOGYxZmFmN2QwMDc0YzQzMzg=<break>mp4:3200kbps/b00yqmwn_1296726100
Download file: BBC iPlayer - Top Gear Series 16 Episode 2.flv
Started at: 2/5/2011 10:07 AM
Queued for downloading
Starting RTMPT download ...
Detecting file name ...
Detecting file name from page title ...
File name detection complete
RTMPT Opening Connection ...
RTMPT client id is -lZmVWkvzvl-O4BQ
Sending RTMP Handshake Request ...
Waiting on RTMP Handshake Response ...
Received RTMP Handshake Response ...
Sending RTMP Handshake Complete and Connect ...
Waiting for RTMP connection response from the server ...

*** Ignoring verification request. This stream might be terminated early by the server.
If it is try the auto resume or auto record options in Tools > Settings under the RTMP Tweaks section.***

*** Failed to connect: NetConnection.Connect.Rejected - Connection failed..
If this continues to occur try setting the Always record RTMP streams checkbox in Tools > Settings under the RTMP Tweaks section.
Replay Media Catcher will then record the stream as it plays in your browser instead of trying to download it independently. ****

Server forcibly closed connection
Detecting file name from tags ...
Identifying Music ...
MusicDNS lookup is not supported for file type: .flv
No title tag could be extracted
Complete with errors. Double click to view.

Ninjew
02-05-2011, 08:25 AM
"*** Failed to connect: NetConnection.Connect.Rejected - Connection failed..
If this continues to occur try setting the Always record RTMP streams checkbox in Tools > Settings under the RTMP Tweaks section.
Replay Media Catcher will then record the stream as it plays in your browser instead of trying to download it independently. ****"

Oh, I tried doing the above, and it recorded 8:07 worth of the 59:29 programme before closing - sayng that the caption was complete (which, of course, it wasn't).

growlie
02-05-2011, 08:53 AM
I've been downloading from BBC7 iplayer for about a week now better than ever :>)
In fact the 1hr limit seems to be eliminated in the new version Media Catcher. The downloads even worked BEFORE I updated to the latest version. It seems BBC have changed the streams again allowing the download function. I've just completed downloading "Comedy Winners" episodes 2 and 3 which are each over 3hrs long, SIMULTANEOUSLY in a few MINUTES!! I sure hope they don't go back to the secure streams again!!!

Jim

stream-recorder.com
02-05-2011, 12:24 PM
On the main RMC4, it says "Complete with errors. Double click to view."

When I double click, I see the following:

Recording of rtmpt://iplayertokfs.fplive.net:80/iplayertok?token=c3RhcnRfdGltZT0yMDExMDIwNTEzMDczN iZlbmRfdGltZT0yMDExMDIwNTE3MDczNiZkaWdlc3Q9ZmU5MTM xZmEwNDU3M2NkOGYxZmFmN2QwMDc0YzQzMzg=<break>mp4:3200kbps/b00yqmwn_1296726100
Download file: BBC iPlayer - Top Gear Series 16 Episode 2.flv
Started at: 2/5/2011 10:07 AM
Queued for downloading
Starting RTMPT download ...
Detecting file name ...
Detecting file name from page title ...
RTMPT Opening Connection ...
RTMPT client id is -lZmVWkvzvl-O4BQ
Sending RTMP Handshake Request ...
Waiting on RTMP Handshake Response ...
Received RTMP Handshake Response ...
Sending RTMP Handshake Complete and Connect ...

*** Ignoring verification request. This stream might be terminated early by the server.
If it is try the auto resume or auto record options in Tools > Settings under the RTMP Tweaks section.***

*** Failed to connect: NetConnection.Connect.Rejected - Connection failed..
Replay Media Catcher will then record the stream as it plays in your browser instead of trying to download it independently. ****

Server forcibly closed connection
Detecting file name from tags ...
Identifying Music ...
MusicDNS lookup is not supported for file type: .flv
No title tag could be extracted
Complete with errors. Double click to view.
So this is not an RTMPE stream. The problem and its solution are mentioned in your post:

Ignoring verification request. This stream might be terminated early by the server.
If it is try the auto resume or auto record options in Tools > Settings under the RTMP Tweaks section.
Replay Media Catcher will then record the stream as it plays in your browser instead of trying to download it independently.

I've been downloading from BBC7 iplayer for about a week now better than ever :>)
In fact the 1hr limit seems to be eliminated in the new version Media Catcher. The downloads even worked BEFORE I updated to the latest version. It seems BBC have changed the streams again allowing the download function. I've just completed downloading "Comedy Winners" episodes 2 and 3 which are each over 3hrs long, SIMULTANEOUSLY in a few MINUTES!! I sure hope they don't go back to the secure streams again!!!
I could be wrong, but the developer of RMC did a lot to make it work. Not sure whether BBC reverted their changes or not.

Ninjew
02-05-2011, 06:17 PM
So this is not an RTMPE stream. The problem and its solution are mentioned in your post:

Actually, it's not. I followed the directions as it listed, but the problem still exists.

stream-recorder.com
02-06-2011, 12:55 AM
Actually, it's not. I followed the directions as it listed, but the problem still exists.
Could you please post a log when using the RTMP recording mode?

Sool
02-06-2011, 01:21 AM
In fact the 1hr limit seems to be eliminated in the new version Media Catcher. .... I sure hope they don't go back to the secure streams again!!!

There is no doubt that RMC is now working fine when it comes to BBC Radio. I remain unsure whether the BBC actually did start using secure streams, or whether they changed something else, which made RMC perceive the streams as being secure.

I asked about this last week but my question remains unanswered.

johnash
10-07-2012, 12:13 AM
I have never had a problem downloading BBC Radio programmes until this morning and am now getting the dreaded
"The following stream has been detected as a secure stream:
BBC Radio 2 - Desmond Carrington The Music Goes Round, 05102012.flv
A secure stream can not be downloaded independently
but will continue to be recorded whilst it is playing in your browser."

which is a bit of a blow as it means in effect I can only record them in "real time".

It seems others had this problem last year but I never did - so I am now resurrecting this thread in the hope that there is a solution to this problem.

myersph
10-07-2012, 01:17 AM
Just tried and succeeded to 'download' the same programme as you mentioned. Are you in the UK? Last week I did have trouble with iplayer when visiting Spain except if it was a podcast and then it was OK.

exim
09-04-2013, 10:45 AM
still problems for me. Anyone else? is there a work around?

Jeff Lenney
09-04-2013, 11:17 PM
still problems for me. Anyone else? is there a work around?

Specifically, Can you please provide me with the URL of the audio or video you're trying to record, so I can trouble shoot the issue?

luigy39
10-02-2013, 01:10 PM
Is there a way to record from BBC other than using real time?