PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded today and my registration code no longer works...

cain
09-16-2008, 01:36 PM
I entered a ticket, and I see that there is a $10 upgrade charge.

But I thought upgrades/fixes came with my Suite purchase? (3.0 had the same features, but 3.01 costs me $10 with UAC compatibility?)

So, how long will this $10 buy me? ;)

Jeff Lenney
09-16-2008, 05:46 PM
Hi Cain.

Strange, somebody else with another user name just posted the exact same question...

at any rate, We understand where you are coming from, but a lot of work went into updating this program. Just about every site out there had updated the way that they stream. The latest version of Media Catcher captures almost everything out there, which no other program can do. It's also been made more "Vista friendly" so that you don't have to jump through a lot of hoops to use it. It is definitely worth the $9.95!

goldwings98se
09-16-2008, 08:46 PM
Hi Cain.

Strange, somebody else with another user name just posted the exact same question...

at any rate, We understand where you are coming from, but a lot of work went into updating this program. Just about every site out there had updated the way that they stream. The latest version of Media Catcher captures almost everything out there, which no other program can do. It's also been made more "Vista friendly" so that you don't have to jump through a lot of hoops to use it. It is definitely worth the $9.95!

I just downloaded the 3.01 Media Catcher but I have not tried installing it yet and I am licensed for the Entire Suite but I bought that license less then 6 months ago. I don't use Vista and the only thing the site said about the 3.01 version is
"September 15, 2008
Replay Media Catcher -3.01
- Now works with Windows Vista without having to shut off UAC (User Access Control)"

So far the only changes I have seen for Replay Media Catcher has been BUG fixes and most if not all of those were from reports from users like me.

So do I understand that I now will have to pay and additional $10 for this 3.01 version?
Does that mean I now have to pay another $10

Cheryl Wester
09-17-2008, 08:38 AM
Yes. You are not required to update. We have put a lot of work and effort in this update and have added some new stream formats that have come out. It is up to you as to whether you update or not. There are also some extra features in this version that have not been in previous versions.

goldwings98se
09-17-2008, 09:37 AM
Yes. You are not required to update. We have put a lot of work and effort in this update and have added some new stream formats that have come out. It is up to you as to whether you update or not. There are also some extra features in this version that have not been in previous versions.

So I guess that means that Applian is a rip off and does not give a crap about customer retention which also means the $100 I spent for my Suite License was a rip off since it apparently is only good for 5 months.

I wonder how long it would be after this $10, which I assume is per product and not for the Suite, you will demand more money?

Frankly I don't give a damn about your enhancments just fix the bugs!

jgatie
09-17-2008, 09:47 AM
So I guess that means that Applian is a rip off and does not give a crap about customer retention which also means the $100 I spent for my Suite License was a rip off since it apparently is only good for 5 months.

I wonder how long it would be after this $10, which I assume is per product and not for the Suite, you will demand more money?

Frankly I don't give a damn about your enhancments just fix the bugs!

Frankly, most of us are starting to not "give a damn" about your constant complaining. Personally, I wish Applian could revoke purchases; because if I were in charge I would give you your $100 back and send you on your way. Your level of rudeness and abuse isn't worth $1000 worth of business, never mind $100.

Here's a little hint (not that you'll listen); try being a little more civil and you may get a little more sympathy.

cain
09-17-2008, 10:51 AM
First, let me state that I immediately purchased the upgrade... not a big deal for the price.

That being said, if it were my company:

1. It would not have been included as an auto-update option. I had 3.0+ running and was notified that there was an update (I liked that Andy added that) - I downloaded and installed it. But at no time was I aware if would result in me not being able to use the suite I purchased.

2. I would have notified the existing customers of the departure and reasoning at least a week before I provided the update. Don't surprise us, warn us and communicate.

3. If a customer purchased the suite within some reasonable period (at least within the last three months), they would recieve this upgrade free, period.

Nevertheless, you gladly have my $10. I just hope that changes of this nature are better communicated and executed in the future.

Bill Dettering
09-19-2008, 02:31 AM

Frankly I don't give a damn about your enhancements just fix the bugs!

We took another look at our upgrade policy, and have extended the free upgrade window for Replay Capture Suite customers back to March 15, 2008 - or approximately 6 months for Replay Media Catcher and Replay Converter upgrades. Customers purchasing individual products can upgrade free if you purchased on or after July 1, 2008.

Please keep in mind that both of these products underwent a LOT of work, and do have more capabilities than previous versions. We feel $9.95 isn't a lot to spend compared to the value you get. And upgrading is always optional.

Best Regards,

Bill Dettering
CEO
Applian Technologies Inc.
www.applian.com

cain
09-22-2008, 04:02 AM
Thank you, Bill.

I missed your policy change and already purchased the upgrade (noted above) - but as I said, keep the $10, but keep communicating with the users on changes like this (the e-mail was great.)

Thank you.

randulo
09-27-2008, 03:16 AM
Hi Cain.
It's also been made more "Vista friendly" so that you don't have to jump through a lot of hoops to use it. It is definitely worth the $9.95!

Hi,

I realize $10 is no big deal and I just paid. However, this is what the upgrade page says:

"This version of Replay Media Catcher is a free update. You can see what's new here."

So I was disappointed that I destroyed the older version, because the $10 doesn't buy me anything I need. I felt forced to pay ransom to get the functionalies back because the above says FREE UPDATE.

RMC is a terrific program. However, please change your site to reflect the truth, the upgrade is not free. Can you see why people might be a little "surprised" by this?

Tasha Heinlein
09-27-2008, 09:27 AM
Hi,

I realize $10 is no big deal and I just paid. However, this is what the upgrade page says:

"This version of Replay Media Catcher is a free update. You can see what's new here."

RMC is a terrific program. However, please change your site to reflect the truth, the upgrade is not free. Can you see why people might be a little "surprised" by this?

I wasn't aware of this being stated anywhere. I would appreciate it if you could send me a link so that we can fix it. Thank you!

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein
Applian Technologies, Inc.

randulo
09-27-2008, 09:49 AM
I wasn't aware of this being stated anywhere. I would appreciate it if you could send me a link so that we can fix it. Thank you!

The link is what I saw when I clicked on upgrade. You shouldn't need me to tell what link is built into your software?

I have a screen capture, though:

http://x2z.eu/freeupgrade.gif

Frankly, I believe you owe me a refund. I'll ask for it through the appropriate channels. To me, this was a big mistake. Of course you need to remove that page, but also you need to rethink your strategy. There's nothing wrong with asking $10 for an upgrade, but this was an unpleasant experience I won't forget. I still have not received a license code, either. I found the older version and will return to that.

I'm happy to keep any further communication on this subject private.

Tasha Heinlein
09-27-2008, 12:46 PM
I have sent a message to the proper people to find this and change it. I apologize for any inconvenience. If you would like to open a support ticket, I can look up your info and find your reg code.

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein

Debbie McCormick
09-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Sorry for the confusion, folks. We looked into this and found that the upgrade link for version 1 users only was going to the wrong page. We have since fixed that error and the upgrade link for versions 1 and 2 now goes to the proper page:

http://www.applian.com/replay-media-catcher/upgrade3.php

randulo
09-27-2008, 10:52 PM
I have sent a message to the proper people to find this and change it. I apologize for any inconvenience. If you would like to open a support ticket, I can look up your info and find your reg code.

I'd rather have a refund and I said as much in the support ticket. Someone should have tested the link before activating it. We were tricked into buying an upgrade we didn't need, thinking it was free.

Cheryl Wester
09-28-2008, 07:48 AM
This was an honest mistake and not meant to "trick" anyone. By now I'm sure your refund has been processed. Thanks.

mac2day4always
09-28-2008, 04:13 PM
I have got to say we all need to think it through before just complaining.
These technicians go out of their way to evolve the purchased product into a smooth operating program for almost nearly nothing. I have purchased from Applian since the hay-dayz of WM Recorder 6 and RM Recorder (I am up to Version 12). I over the last 7 or eight years have recieved numerous Upgrades and Updates without charge. I own 11 Applian Software programs (including the Suite) and I can't speak for everyone, but I do speak for Applian and myself, they do treat their customers with respect. I wish there were more companies like them.

Applian Support, I know you don't here it often enough... "THANKS FOR ALL YOU DO FOR ME AS A CUSTOMER".
Jmac:)

Tasha Heinlein
09-28-2008, 07:44 PM
I have got to say we all need to think it through before just complaining.
These technicians go out of their way to evolve the purchased product into a smooth operating program for almost nearly nothing. I have purchased from Applian since the hay-dayz of WM Recorder 6 and RM Recorder (I am up to Version 12). I over the last 7 or eight years have recieved numerous Upgrades and Updates without charge. I own 11 Applian Software programs (including the Suite) and I can't speak for everyone, but I do speak for Applian and myself, they do treat their customers with respect. I wish there were more companies like them.

Applian Support, I know you don't here it often enough... "THANKS FOR ALL YOU DO FOR ME AS A CUSTOMER".
Jmac:)

Awww shucks :) We do our best. Thanks for the compliment!!

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein

randulo
09-29-2008, 07:32 AM
I'm not complaining about customer service. And by the way, they did take care of the fact that after paying I got no reg code for some reason. I agree that bitching for no reason is not nice.

However, I did *not* get any refund to date. I have no problem paying for software, I have made about three donations to Sourceforge projects in the last week alone. Sure, there was an "honest error" that made me pay $9.95. The honest fix is to refund that money. I won't be needing the newer version.

None of this changes the basic product quality which is very good. And I'm sure the customer service is, too. When they refund as promised.

Tasha Heinlein
09-29-2008, 11:42 AM
None of this changes the basic product quality which is very good. And I'm sure the customer service is, too. When they refund as promised.

Did you specifically request a refund?

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein