PDA

View Full Version : Upgrades: Getting nickeled and dimed

emacee1701
09-16-2008, 08:23 AM
I just saw an upgrade to Media Catcher (3.01) is out. I went to download it and I was told you folks want an additional $9.95 from me. Jezz! It was just four months ago I upgraded to the whole Capture Suite (I'd previously bought Replay A/V, Converter and Media Capture as stand-alones) and already you're hitting me for more money - again! If I buy a product or a package, I should be covered for at least a year before you start asking for money again.

Debbie, I expect you'll tell me "this is our policy" (like the Seinfeld episode in which a physical therapist tries to charge George for a canceled appointment and then cancels an appointment herself). I know that. I am saying I don't like it. But few software companies understand the idea of customer satisfaction and showing loyalty to loyal customers.

PS: Well, I just discovered there is no way to go back to my old version Media Catcher. The download overwrote the install file and the install over-wrote the old version. The program said nothing about an additional upgrade fee until after I lost my existing version. THANK YOU VERY MUCH! Apparently the marketing geniuses at Applian think this is a good way to force people to pay the extra $9.95. Looks like "screw the customer" is the marketing philosophy at Applian these days.

Tasha Heinlein
09-16-2008, 08:35 AM
I just saw an upgrade to Media Catcher (3.01) is out. I went to download it and I was told you folks want an additional $9.95 from me. Jezz! It was just four months ago I upgraded to the whole Capture Suite (I'd previously bought Replay A/V, Converter and Media Capture as stand-alones) and already you're hitting me for more money - again! If I buy a product or a package, I should be covered for at least a year before you start asking for money again.

Debbie, I expect you'll tell me "this is our policy" (like the Seinfeld episode in which a physical therapist tries to charge George for a canceled appointment and then cancels an appointment herself). I know that. I am saying I don't like it. But few software companies understand the idea of customer satisfaction and showing loyalty to loyal customers.

We understand where you are coming from, but a lot of work went into updating this program. Just about every site out there had updated the way that they stream. The latest version of Media Catcher captures almost everything out there, which no other program can do. It's also been made more "Vista friendly" so that you don't have to jump through a lot of hoops to use it. It is definitely worth the $9.95!

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein
Applian Technologies, Inc.

craig78681
09-16-2008, 09:19 AM
PS: Well, I just discovered there is no way to go back to my old version Media Catcher. The download overwrote the install file and the install over-wrote the old version.
This is why I have an standalone "Install Images" folder on my system. Anytime I download a new version of a product I use (Acrobat, iTunes, etc. ... not just Applian products) I always save the install image in that folder so I can go back to the older version if something about the new version displeases me.

jgatie
09-16-2008, 09:44 AM
PS: Well, I just discovered there is no way to go back to my old version Media Catcher. The download overwrote the install file and the install over-wrote the old version. The program said nothing about an additional upgrade fee until after I lost my existing version. THANK YOU VERY MUCH! Apparently the marketing geniuses at Applian think this is a good way to force people to pay the extra $9.95. Looks like "screw the customer" is the marketing philosophy at Applian these days.

Yes, "Screw the customer". That must be why they offer a link to "Previous version: Download 2.40 here" halfway down the Media Catcher Download page:

http://www.replayav.com/replay-media-catcher/demo.php

They also supply an uninstaller for the new version and will e-mail you your activation codes for your old version if you have misplaced them in the interim. "Screw the customer", indeed. :confused:

Bill Dettering
09-19-2008, 02:33 AM
We took another look at our upgrade policy, and have extended the free upgrade window for Replay Capture Suite customers back to March 15, 2008 - or approximately 6 months for Replay Media Catcher and Replay Converter upgrades. Customers purchasing individual products can upgrade free if you purchased on or after July 1, 2008.

Please keep in mind that both of these products underwent a LOT of work, and do have more capabilities than previous versions. We feel $9.95 isn't a lot to spend compared to the value you get. And upgrading is always optional.

Best Regards,

Bill Dettering
CEO
Applian Technologies Inc.
www.applian.com