PDA

View Full Version : How to present only a portion of a large video stream

lugnuts
09-30-2010, 04:07 PM
Applian has some great tools for recording streaming media. However, my question is how to "play" only a portion here and there of a long video file. To be clear, I do not want to physically chop it up or excerpt it.

In other words, I would like to capture a 3 hour video and place it on my website. This would be the master. I would then like to make very specific references to, say, 3 minute portions of the same file.

Is that possible with some sort of a playlist reference to begin and end times? Or do I really need to create much smaller files from the master?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff Lenney
09-30-2010, 10:05 PM
Hey There - thanks for your post, and you raise a great question!

Check out Replay Media Splitter (http://www.applian.com/replay-media-splitter/) - i'm thinking it should work for you.
Replay Media Splitter is a really easy way to extract or remove portions of audio and video files. Once it's installed, you'll be slicing and dicing media files in minutes.

stream-recorder.com
10-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Applian has some great tools for recording streaming media. However, my question is how to "play" only a portion here and there of a long video file. To be clear, I do not want to physically chop it up or excerpt it.

In other words, I would like to capture a 3 hour video and place it on my website. This would be the master. I would then like to make very specific references to, say, 3 minute portions of the same file.

Is that possible with some sort of a playlist reference to begin and end times? Or do I really need to create much smaller files from the master?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
You can make references to any specific times, but this is not related to Applian software. You need to find out what flash player to embed onto your web-pages and how to work with it.

p.s. YouTube allows to make references in its videos, but their videos are limited to 15 minutes only.