PDA

View Full Version : Lost my DVD decoder

myersph
09-22-2010, 02:30 AM
I seem to have lost the ability to play dvd's on one of my old pc's running on XP SP3 so I suspect it just needs a decoder to play VOB files. It may have happened during a complete reformat. I have tried all the original discs to no avail. Can anybody recommend a reliable place to find such software. I see lots of adverts but do not know which one to trust?

Jeff Lenney
09-29-2010, 08:51 PM
Hey there - sorry for the delayed response. Unfortunately, I do not know of any vob players personally - but you might be able to make a post at stream-recorder.com (http://stream-recorder.com/)and see if they can help. They know all software, applian and otherwise :)

stream-recorder.com
09-29-2010, 11:23 PM
You can watch DVDs on your computer with freeware VLC player, KMPlayer and many other players.

Alternatively you you can install a codec pack such as K-Lite Mega Codec pack. The problem is that codec packs can mess up audio and video codecs so you may have problems with multimedia software.

myersph
09-30-2010, 12:02 AM
I have since bought and installed Roxio decoder which works on my PC with XPSP3 but not the laptop also with the same XPSP3 - strange! The laptop now plays the sound but not the picture.

stream-recorder.com
09-30-2010, 02:00 AM
I have since bought and installed Roxio decoder which works on my PC with XPSP3 but not the laptop also with the same XPSP3 - strange! The laptop now plays the sound but not the picture.
If it doesn't work, just get a refund. You shouldn't have any problems with the solutions mentioned above.