PDA

View Full Version : Tip for High Audio Quality Recording

Nicknack
08-27-2010, 07:18 PM
I have a brand new Dell desktop computer with on-board audio. In the past, I have purchased a soundblaster audio card for my computers because I played audio directly from those computers. However, with the new computer that I have now, I only intend to use it for recording audio and using another device that I have which has an excellent audio card to play the music.

The question I have is whether it will make much of a difference of recording audio with the on-board audio for recording versus purchasing an audio card. I don't want to spend a lot of time recording music that is sub par due to my recording device if I can improve it by simply purchasing an audio card. What would you all recommend? If an audio card would provide much better quality recording, what card would you recommend?

Cheryl Wester
08-28-2010, 08:06 AM
MOst systems require you to use our driver to record. This is due to the way they handle audio capture. I would suggest you give the demo of the program a try to see if it meets your needs. You are able to change the bitrate of what you are recording in the settings under the output tab.

Nicknack
08-28-2010, 08:47 AM
I appreciate your reply, but this is a question specifically regarding the quality. Will I get better quality using a dedicated sound card (such as Sound Blaster) or will my on-board audio work just as well?

I have been able to record just fine with the on-board audio on my Dell desktop but I don't want second rate quality if a Sound Blaster card would improve things. What I've heard from a couple of people is that with recording, there shouldn't be much of a difference. It's more of playback where sound cards shine as compared to on board audio. I'm just wondering if what I've been told is true.