PDA

View Full Version : RMC 4 downloads unplayable AAC-Audio from RTSP:// ... *.M4A

placebo
08-12-2010, 08:54 AM
Hello, i am a newly regged user, welcoming myself! :p

From a streaming website, RMC4 downloaded a QuickTime streaming audio file for me from an URL which has the structure

rtsp://www. ..etc.. /track.m4a?shib=_1abcd234dcbbbaa2a8

When i feed my standalone QuickTime Player with this url, the player plays the server file (the url) totally fine, for the rest of the day (repeated hearings possible).

RMC4 does record (=capture/download) the file to HDD, even if very slowly, and it seems to have the correct file size. Great! But when i open the file with the QuickTime Player (or any other software: VLC, foobar2000, etc.) i would get an playback error.

First comes to mind that the QuickTime *.m4a-files are "protected" (DRM? ITUNES-LIKE?) or are RAW AAC files. But now i am believing that the downloaded Bytes are corrupt data ("j*nk" data). I dont know how to find out such a fact, or how to analyze non-playing audio files.

Please examine the file yourself: http://www.mediafire.com/?3bp0owqh4ted46j (direct download)

Clearly, only the RMC4 main developer/programmer could evaluate this situation/question properly. A person who knows about the technical difficulties of Shibolean authentication services, Darwin Streaming Server, QuickTime Streaming Server, and Quicktime streaming media via RTSP-protocol.

So. What is the probability that RMC4 indeed downloaded/captured j*unk data? (which would perfectly explain why QT, VLC, FB2000, etc. cant playback the file!)

placebo
08-13-2010, 12:40 AM
Good news, bad news.

Good news. The file *can* be played back with very special players (incl. plugins) like 1by1 and Winamp, and apparently the file is NOT PROTECTED (WITH DRM OR ELSE). So it is not all j*nk what RMC4 downloaded/captured for me.

Bad news. The mentioned players report wrong track duration (the track's length is 05:13, and the players report 08:17 (but play, of course, only 05:13)). And robust players, such as foobar2000 and VLC, cant play the file. This must mean that the file's content is corrupt at some place/point, e.g. the header of the file.

In other words, RMC4 downloads *.m4a-files (Quicktime audio from Quicktime Streaming Server via RTSP-protocol) which can be played in corruption-tolerant players, but after all, the *.m4a-files *are* corrupt and, if archived, should be converted to *.mp3.

If they werent corrupt, i would archive them as is. Original. Without loss of quality (during the conversion from *.m4a to *.mp3).

So, dear developers of RMC4, you have gone into the right direction and you did some incredible job so far. Now some further fine-tuning of RMC4, and the *.m4a-files wont end up (header-)corrupt on the HDD!

GOOD LUCK! EAGERLY AWAITING THE RELEASE RMC VERSION 4.1!!!

AND THANKS FOR THIS AMAZING TOOL.