PDA

View Full Version : soma.fm: ICY Files HELP!

evergreen
06-21-2010, 09:58 PM
I was recording from soma fm for 2 hours.
When I finish recording, Replay Media Catcher crashed, and the file that I was recording, now appears with (.icy) extension.
What is this?
Can I convert this file into mp3?
How can I play this file?

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks a lot.

stream-recorder.com
06-21-2010, 11:15 PM
ICY means Icecast stream. Soma.FM offers MP3, AAC and AAC+ streams. Were you recording the MP3 one?

Have you tried to rename .icy file to .mp3 and play it?

evergreen
06-22-2010, 09:23 PM
First at all THANKS!

Yes, I was recording from somafm and I was using Replay Media Catcher to record groove salad radio station.
I don't remember if I was finished to record clicking the stop button on winamp or clicking stop recording on Replay Media Catcher.
But what I do remember is when I finished to record Replay Media Catcher crashed and it returns me an (.icy) file extension.
Yes I changed the extension to mp3, then I tried to play it with K-Lite Mega Codec Pack, no luck.
Also I tried to convert the icy file to mp3 and when the conversion finished I tried to play it and no luck.

Should I give up?

stream-recorder.com
06-22-2010, 10:19 PM
As you haven't told me whether it was an MP3 stream or not, it is hard to say. You can also try to rename it to AAC and probably to MP4 as well and try to play it.

stream-recorder.com
06-22-2010, 10:20 PM
Or upload the file somewhere and I will take a look.

evergreen
06-23-2010, 07:24 AM
Sorry I don't understand very well your question (Were you recording the MP3 one?), but I was recording using my computer. When I started recording, I clicked the option WMP aacPlus to play it.

Also I send you a megaupload link so you can download the file and view it
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MMZTK111

Again, thanks!

stream-recorder.com
06-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Sorry I don't understand very well your question (Were you recording the MP3 one?), but I was recording using my computer. When I started recording, I clicked the option WMP aacPlus to play it
This is exactly what I was asking about. You opened an aacPlus stream, so there is no sense to rename your recording onto MP3. You need to try to rename it onto MP4 or M4A (there is no difference, because they both use mp4 container).

I will download the file to take a look.

stream-recorder.com
06-23-2010, 12:13 PM
I renamed the file to .mp4 and had some problems with it. Some players play it just fine, while SMPlayer doesn't allow me to fast forward and VLC doesn't play any sound at all.

I then renamed it to .aac and it worked just fine in every player I have tried including SMPlayer and VLC.

evergreen
06-24-2010, 10:03 AM
Thanks!:D

Wich player do you recomend to play that file?, because I tried with K-Lite and after a few seconds of music it jumps to the end of the record.

Do you know if it's possible convert the .aac format into mp3?

stream-recorder.com
06-24-2010, 12:43 PM
I liked to play music with freeware Winamp and AIMP players. There are lots of other free music players including Foobar 2000.

I used to have K-Lite Mega Codec Pack, but I had intermittent problems so I had to re-install it from time to time. Since MPlayer and VLC come with most video codecs that are needed, I prefer to use them for watching videos.

If you don't plan to use your AAC file on your computer only, I don't recommend you to convert it. Otherwise you will lose some quality.
Do you want to split songs? Do you want to listen to this music on a device that doesn't support AAC?

evergreen
06-25-2010, 09:06 PM
Yes, I want to split songs, and then listen them in my ipod. So I need them in mp3 format. Any suggestions?

stream-recorder.com
06-26-2010, 05:59 AM
Older versions of Apple iTunes, iPod Touch, and iPhone will play HE-AAC (AACPlus) files as though they were standard AAC-LC files without the high-frequency information that is only present. Anyway there I wouldn't convert HE-AAC to MP3, I would try to find a lossless HE-AAC splitter (may be BeSplit can do that).

There are several lossless MP3 splitters that you can use, so I would recommend to listen / record MP3 files next time.

p.s. I thought RMC could split and tag Icecast songs automatically. I need to test it more with AAC streams. The problem is that some streams are broadcast in a continuous stream, some streams do not sent the artist and title, so it is not possible to split and tag songs. Replay Music which records from sound card may help here, but the songs should NOT be overlapped.