PDA

View Full Version : 3.41 naming very few tracks???

bfranker
08-30-2008, 07:12 AM
Hello,

Long time Replay Music user here and have always very much enjoyed the program. I'm not a "power" user or anything and haven't used it much lately but decided to fire it up again yesterday. I did what I normally do and checked for a new version... there was a new version out there so I downloaded it (3.41) and installed it.

I then started it up and started up Yahoo LAUNCHcast Radio and started playing the "Today's Big Hits" station and went to bed. I just noticed that out of 160 very popular Top 40 type songs that were played it only got 19 of the songs tagged and some of those it only stuck in the title and nothing else (no artist)??? And, some of the ones it got are incorrect too.

After reading here a little bit I'm seeing this problem has existed sice 3.4 and the "fix" is to uninstall and go back to version 3.35 or so. Ugh. That seems a little counter productive but I guess that is what I'll have to do until this is fixed.

Any idea what the no kidding problem is? I was using Yahoo Music Unlimited and Windows XP SP2. I'd like to not downgrade the version if a fix is coming soon but don't want this to happen the next time I fire up ReplayMusic either if you know what I mean. I Did not have a problem before and in fact was VERY impressed with how well Replay could name the tracks... If I played 150 songs or so on the same "Today's Big Hits" station it would only not get a handful. Very impressive IMO but now it is the complete opposite... so bad the naming is basically useless especially since I went to listen to one of the songs and it erased the songs that were played during the night so now I'm not even sure what was played to even edit the tracks manually. ARGH!

So, now, I have a folder full of music but named "Not Recognized - TrackXXX". Anybody know of a good program that will correctly name/tag a folder full of songs named "Not Recognized" using similar means as ReplayMusic but where I do not have to re-record the song?

Thanks!

Cheryl Wester
08-30-2008, 07:58 AM
We are using a different Music ID to identify the songs.
Replay Music needs to hear the entire song in order to identify the track. So, please make sure that Replay Music can hear the entire song and that it is being played from a good clean source with ample silence broadcasted between tracks.

For best recognition, make sure that the splitting settings are set to their defaults. In settings, go to the splitting tab and click the use defaults button.

If you had other adjustments change them back to the defaults and try again and see if it works better for you. Thanks.

bfranker
08-30-2008, 08:12 AM
Replay Music needs to hear the entire song in order to identify the track. So, please make sure that Replay Music can hear the entire song and that it is being played from a good clean source with ample silence broadcasted between tracks.

For best recognition, make sure that the splitting settings are set to their defaults. In settings, go to the splitting tab and click the use defaults button.

If you had other adjustments change them back to the defaults and try again and see if it works better for you. Thanks.

Hey Cheryl!

I played 160 songs in a row with no interruption so definitely had the entire song playing :)

The song being played is in "CD Quality" audio and sounds just fine when being played via Yahoo as well as being played back after ReplayMusic converts it to an MP3 so quality should not be an issue.

Ample silence is present because it is splitting the songs correctly... it is just not tagging/naming them. I don't have a problem with two songs being "lumped" together so to speak... just a problem with songs being named/tagged.

I have never had a need to change any of the settings so they all should have been the default settings but just for the heck of it, I went in there and clicked "use defaults". I was a bit surprised to see the numbers change. Probably because I've been using this for a number of versions and what was in there was in there since I first started using the program. Unfortunately, I didn't write down what they were before but it is now set to the defaults for the current version and I'm trying again. But, since I didn't have a problem with the songs splitting/cutting and silence parts, I don't see this as being the problem but will give it a shot. Trying it now with a few songs and will post back after about 10 or so and see how it works :)

Thanks!

bfranker
08-30-2008, 09:14 AM
Here is a break-down of a few songs...

1. Shortie Like Mine (No artist listed. Should be Bow Wow. I realize this is a database issue and not an inability to recognize the song. :) )

2. Track2 - Not Recognized (should be Hey There Delilah by Plain White T's)

3. Track3 - Not Recognized (should be Into The Night by Santana)

4. Track4 - Not Recognized (should be Love In This Club by Usher)

5. Track5 - Not Recognized (should be Paralyzer by Finger Eleven)

6. Track6 - Not Recognized (should be So Sick by Ne-Yo)

7. Umbrella - Rihanna (correct)

8. Home - DAUGHTRY (correct but artist in all caps???)

9. Buttons - The Pussycat Dolls (correct)

10. Track10 - Not Recognized (should be See You Again by Miley Cyrus)

11. Track11 - Not Recognized (should be Bleeding Love by Leona Lewis)

12. Track12 - Not Recognized (should be No Air by Jordin Sparks)

13. Track13 - Not Recognized (should be Makes Me Wonder by Maroon 5)

14. Run It! Featuring Juelz Santana - Chris Brown (listed as Run It! by Chris Brown so looks good)

15. Track15 - Not Recognized (should be My Love by Justin Timberlake)

16. Check On it (No artist listed but should be Beyonce)

That's the first 16 songs from Yahoo Music station "Today's Big Hits". They are all very popular songs but ReplayMusic isn't doing a very good job of seeing what they are. I've used Replay Music a lot and normally I'm used to seeing Replay Music getting ALL popular songs like this. I really don't know what it could be on my end that it just sporadically is able to name the songs when it IS splitting them correctly.

I really hope I can get this resolved because the main thing, for me, about Replay Music is its ability to tag the songs but now it isn't doing a very good job of it :(

goldwings98se
08-30-2008, 10:36 AM

So the real root of the problem appears to be the new Music ID source you guys switched to. So how about going back to the old one that actually worked.

bfranker
08-30-2008, 01:38 PM
Just finished out a total of 40 songs from before... Replay Music recognized only 2 more songs (one with no artist) out of the 24 more I recorded from my previous post. Not so good.

Is this a problem on my end or with the new software? If on my end, I'll be happy to try "something" to get it to work again. If because of the new software and Applian is working out the bugs then that's cool... just let me know so I don't waste a lot of time looking for a problem on my end. It seems a number of people are having issues so sure looks like it is related to the new software version and not something that changed on my end?

Any suggestions are appreciated! And, if there is nothing that will "fix" Replay Music, any suggestions for a program that will tag correctly all my "Not Recognized" tracks?

Thanks!

Cheryl Wester
08-31-2008, 03:27 PM
Our developer is aware that some people are having an issue with tagging of songs. He is working on an update to the program that we hope to have released in the near future. As of now, I do not have a release date.

bfranker
08-31-2008, 09:24 PM
Well, I just did some testing and fired up Rhapsody and recorded from there. Replay Music named 64 of 65 songs that I played! I went to the Top 40 web page and just played all the top 40 songs for this week and a few extra popular songs from each artist. The only one it didn't get was Kryptonite by 3 Doors Down. Not bad! But then I went to Yahoo and played an hour or so from "Today's Big Hits". These songs from Yahoo were basically all the same songs that I was playing from Rhapsody but, for whatever reason, they weren't being recognized like they were from Rhapsody. I don't have any equalizer or anything like that in Yahoo either.

Question though... for the visualization of the music in Replay Music, what is the significance of the blue and red lines? Is one right and one left or ? The reason I ask is because in Rhapsody the blue/red lines follow very close to the same pattern. In Yahoo the blue/red lines are often in different "waves"... don't follow the same pattern. This could have something to do with it if it is the right and left channels. Don't know why it would be different for the same song but it does look like the Yahoo service shows a distinct pattern of having different blue/red lines where as Rhapsody mostly overlays the lines on top of each other.

Thoughts?

NOTE: I normally have used Yahoo in the past as that was what I had but they are moving everything to Rhapsody so I tried that. Yahoo never gave me a problem in the past and I had changed no setting from back when it "worked" FYI.

Cheryl Wester
09-01-2008, 07:35 AM
Thanks for all the testing you did. We do appreciate it. I will let the developer know and if he has any further insight on this he will let you know.

arpie
09-01-2008, 10:47 AM
Hi,

Same here, I just upgraded to 3.41 and there are extremely few track being named. Looks like we need a new upgrade!!

bfranker
09-01-2008, 11:16 AM
Hi,

Same here, I just upgraded to 3.41 and there are extremely few track being named. Looks like we need a new upgrade!!

Arpie, are you using Yahoo Music Unlimited as well?

Rhapsody looks to have no problems. Doing some more testing and I've recorded around 225 songs since I reported earlier and it has correctly tagged 223 of them!!! Nice! I'm going to do a handful of the same exact songs in Yahoo here in a bit and see what happens. So far, for me anyway, it looks like Replay Music now doesn't like Yahoo for whatever reason even though there were no problems previsouly. Weird.

bfranker
09-02-2008, 11:46 AM
FYI, I recorded about 350 songs from Rhapsody and it only didn't name a couple. Now for the weird part... I went to Yahoo and recorded about 15 of the same songs and NO PROBLEMS. What is key here I think is these were all older songs from the 80s. I noticed that on both Rhapsody and Yahoo the visualization in Replay Music had the lines most of the time overlapped. I tried another little test right after Replay Music had no problems with Yahoo and played the "Today's Big Hits" channel from Yahoo and NONE of the songs (I only played 6) were recognized! All these "newer" songs from Yahoo I noticed the two lines in the visualization were all over the place and not overlapped. These same newer songs from Rhapsody had the visualization lines basically overlapped. It also seemed like even to the naked ear the same songs played over Yahoo sounded better than when played over Rhapsody... this has been talked about in the Rhapsody forums. Not that Rhapsody sounds "bad" or anything but the highs sound cripser and it just sounds like there is more separation in the left/right channels.

It is looking like the newer songs at Yahoo are streaming with better/more data than the newer songs at Rhapsody. I realize that Yahoo streams at a higher quality than Rhapsody but I've NEVER been able to actually hear the difference before. It is almost like Rhapsody is streaming in stereo where as Yahoo is streaming in stereo too but with better highs/lows and separation which could be throwing off Replay Music in being able to recognize the song.

After recording for a few days and playing the same songs on both services I really think the root of this "problem" has to do with what I'm seeing in the differences in the visualization between the two services and the newer (but not older!) Yahoo tracks are streamed with a wider sound range and thus aren't being recognized by Replay Music.

Could be completely talking out my rear but that is what it seems like is happening in layman's terms :)

DaveDebRuby
09-08-2008, 04:49 AM
I have done about 50 songs...zero have been found. It used be flawless.

DaveDebRuby
09-08-2008, 04:50 AM
Arpie, are you using Yahoo Music Unlimited as well?

Rhapsody looks to have no problems. Doing some more testing and I've recorded around 225 songs since I reported earlier and it has correctly tagged 223 of them!!! Nice! I'm going to do a handful of the same exact songs in Yahoo here in a bit and see what happens. So far, for me anyway, it looks like Replay Music now doesn't like Yahoo for whatever reason even though there were no problems previsouly. Weird.

I use Rhapsody and it doesn't work at all either.

conchchowder
09-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Rhapsody wasn't so much of a problem but in imeem...sheesh. The genre drop-down box was empty...it wouldn't detect the end of a song and randomly cut songs and it wouldn't identify songs. I deleted 3.4 and googled 3.35 and found it on Brothersoft.

I get the Gracenote EULA and the red box in the corner and all the songs are being recorded properly (and in better fidelity), and properly tagged.

You should have offered 3.4 with a beta tag and not released it as final...too many bugs. I almost asked for a refund.

Tasha Heinlein
09-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Anybody know of a good program that will correctly name/tag a folder full of songs named "Not Recognized" using similar means as ReplayMusic but where I do not have to re-record the song?

Thanks!

We're actually working on a product that will be able to do this. No ETA, but hopefully in the next few months...

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein
Applian Technologies, Inc.

Cheryl Wester
09-09-2008, 06:05 AM
We are testing an upgrade now and hope to have it ready for release in the very near future. Thanks.

bfranker
09-09-2008, 07:16 AM
Thanks, Cheryl and that is very good to hear, Tasha. There are other programs out there that "try" to do this but they don't work very well.

On a differnet note, the comment above by conchchowder about the fidelity not being as good is interesting because I thought similar but blew it off as all being in my head. I know in 3.41 the way songs are recognized defnitely changed but did something change in the actual recording as well? Seems like it takes MUCH longer to name a track than it used to. I see it now records first a wav file then converts it to MP3. Did previous versions just go straight to MP3? Could this be affecting the fidelity?

Thanks!

Cheryl Wester
09-09-2008, 04:17 PM
I haven't noticed that and have not had any other comments regarding this. Our new version is going to convert a lot faster and also is going to have a volume control for those that want to adjust the volume of the recordings. It does convert from WAV to MP3 and to be honest I don't know how the other version did the job. Thanks.

Cheryl Wester
09-12-2008, 07:52 AM
We do have a brand new version of Replay Music. We posted it last night. Download it and you should see a lot of improvements. One of my favorite is the volume adjustment. Thanks.

maxrenn
09-13-2008, 05:41 AM
Hello, i've tried the new version (3.45) on jiwa.fm 's web radios and this is
incredible, around 80% of the tracks are correctly tagged !!
I tried on purpose a radio with new hits (recognizing Deep Purple or Madonna
would not be significant) and most of those artists i've never heard about are
tagged !
Wonderful, even with the "Gracenote previous versions" i did not have that kind
of results.

Just one question about the way the tagging is done : does RM search the info
on a website (like it was with Gracenote) or does it take that info directly from
the stream ?

Bye

Mike Christensen
09-20-2008, 12:15 AM
Hello, i've tried the new version (3.45) on jiwa.fm 's web radios and this is
incredible, around 80% of the tracks are correctly tagged !!
I tried on purpose a radio with new hits (recognizing Deep Purple or Madonna
would not be significant) and most of those artists i've never heard about are
tagged !
Wonderful, even with the "Gracenote previous versions" i did not have that kind
of results.

Just one question about the way the tagging is done : does RM search the info
on a website (like it was with Gracenote) or does it take that info directly from
the stream ?

Bye

Hi,

Glad that you are having good results with 3.45. We actually made a lot of improvements with version 3.45. To answer you question, Replay Music tags similiar to the way Gracenote does it.

Best regards,