PDA

View Full Version : Set coordinates box size?

innocent bystander
04-08-2010, 05:10 PM
So under "replay video capture" there's a green rectangular dialog showing the coordinates of the red and blue screen capture markers. As far as it goes, this is fine, but it seems that there's nothing you can do in terms of editing the coordinates manually that will move the little red and blue squares.

Does this seem lame to anyone but me?

Other screen capture / picture cropping programs let you define a specific rectangle in pixels and then drag it anywhere you want on the screen. That would seem like a natural feature for this program.

We really need to be able to lock in a specific capture ratio (4:3, 16:9, ETC.) and then resize the box maintaining that ratio. This is an incredibly common feature in other free programs.

Do we have this capability, and if not why not?

I thought I was going to be getting something special for the $80 I paid for this suite, but right now the ability to use the program seems quite awkward and limited.

Cheryl Wester
04-08-2010, 10:13 PM
This is one program in many in the suite. It is a screen capture program and does allow you to set a box or move the blue and red markers where you want them.

stream-recorder.com
04-08-2010, 11:04 PM
Does this seem lame to anyone but me?

I thought I was going to be getting something special for the $80 I paid for this suite, but right now the ability to use the program seems quite awkward and limited.

Read the Replay Video Capture User Guide (http://www.applian.com/replay-video-capture/support/user_guide.php)

Watch Replay Video Capture videos tutorials (http://www.applian.com/support-videos.php#RVC)

innocent bystander
04-09-2010, 12:30 AM
Watch Replay Video Capture videos tutorials (http://www.applian.com/support-videos.php#RVC)I watched this video tutorial, and it would seem that I'm using the the capture program to its fullest potential. It still remains that Video Capture's the power / ease of use could be improved by an order of magnitude with the slightest imagination / effort on the part of the developers.

I'm sure you've heard of IrfanView, probably the most popular image viewer in the world. It's completely free, and its screen capture function provides for pixel level selection of the capture area, at the same time showing you the SIZE (i.e., 640x480, etc.) of the area you've selected.

Once in the image viewer, you can easily punch SHFT-C ("Create Custom Selection"), and then select from any number of pre-define ratios (2:1, 3:2, 4:3, 5:4, 16:9, etc.) or even provide a custom width and height and X,Y offset to generate a selection box to drag anywhere you like.

Then you can grab part of the box and resize it on the fly over the image, maintaining that ratio, redragging and resizing until you get the perfect crop result.

That's a FREE screen capture program. It just doesn't do streaming video.

Why should I pay $40, or $80 for a suite that doesn't give me at least that flexibility / ease of use?

innocent bystander
04-09-2010, 12:36 AM
This is one program in many in the suite. It is a screen capture program and does allow you to set a box or move the blue and red markers where you want them.Please read the reply below. Which of the suite programs, if not this one, allows me to capture a screen selection of streaming video, with anything like the ease or power of the free program IrfanView?

You should really become familiar with that program to see what we're missing.

Why should one guy, Irfan Skijan, be able to turn out so much, absolutely free, compared to this capture program, which is $40 by itself?

stream-recorder.com
04-09-2010, 02:06 AM
Why should I pay $40, or $80 for a suite that doesn't give me at least that flexibility / ease of use?
There are no Applian programs that I know that can make screenshots. If you need to make screenshots you can use any program that you like.

Applian offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. If a free screenshot maker is everything that need and it can replace the Replay Capture Suite (http://www.applian.com/avscs/) for you, just get a refund.

stream-recorder.com
04-09-2010, 03:28 AM
Replay Video Capture (http://www.applian.com/replay-video-capture/) is a video recoding program. It is intended to be used to record online videos. You just select a streaming media player using the "Get Window" or the markers and record from it. Thus you record video only. Then you can convert video using Replay Converter changing aspect ratio, format,...

innocent bystander
04-09-2010, 06:24 AM
There are no Applian programs that I know that can make screenshots.This complaint isn't about grabbing a screen shot.

It's about identifying the area of the screen that the streaming video program uses.

Is there a reason that this program can't use a similar mechanism? Is it really that hard? How did all the other freeware authors pull this off?

There is another reason this is VERY important that I didn't get into already.

Many programs that play back content expect to do so a specific sizes. If the dimensions of the selection are not perfect, player programs can get confused and start doing a lot of stretching and fitting that leads to an odd / unpleasant result at playback.

I'm happy for you to have the money, but I do expect that in addition to the core functionality (capturing a screen video stream), you come up with the user controls already implemented by others to enhance the user enjoyment of your own program.

stream-recorder.com
04-09-2010, 06:51 AM
You can suggest a new feature in the following forum: Request New Features (https://forum.applian.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
I guess what you offer can be done, but IMHO it will make the recording complicated for many users (this is only my opinion, so may be Applian thinks it is a good idea and should be implemented).

If you know any freeware screen video recorder that has better selection of the recording area, please mention it.

I personally do not support this feature. Only the content that is needed should be recorded to make smaller files and to avoid everything but the video in the frame. After recording you can do everything that you want with the video: add black stripes on the top and bottom, change aspect ratio, format, framerate or whatever.
Of course conversion can be done in real time, but very low percentage of PCs will be able to handle additional processing.