PDA

View Full Version : Replay AV Problems-Safe Eyes and Earthsim

rkweimer
02-29-2008, 09:58 PM
I've had two nagging problems with Replay AV that I managed to solve this week, and thought I would post them in the hope that the information may be useful to others.

The first problem was an inability to record anything off the Internet for more than twenty minutes at a time. Recordings scheduled for longer than that would lose their input at the twenty minute mark. Replay AV would then retune and resume recording. As a result, all of my recordings were divided into 20 minute segments, with about 5 second gaps between the end of one and the start of the next. I reported this several months ago to Applian technical support, but we were not able to resolve the problem. I eventually isolated it to an Internet content filter I had installed for parental controls called Safe Eyes. Although Safe Eyes was configured to do no filtering at all on my user account, it turns out that Safe Eyes acts as a proxy server and is configured to auto log-off the Internet after twenty minutes of inactivity, even on otherwise unrestricted accounts. Evidently the streaming audio Replay AV was getting didn't register as internet activity to Safe Eyes. There are no options to change this behavior available in the Safe Eyes program itself. I uninstalled Safe Eyes to restore my recording capability, but their technical support finally provided a technique to change the log-off time by adding an entry to the registry. I've tried it and it works. I can provide details if anyone is interested.

The second problem was caused by Replay AV. I installed an astronomy based screen saver called Earthsim. One of Earthsim's features is a set of built in documentaries with audio narration. I was unable to get any audio from Earthsim, even though I had previously had it working on another machine. I found that having Replay AV resident in memory prevented Earthsim from producing audio. As long as I terminate Replay AV before starting Earthsim, the latter produces audio without problems. Evidently the Replay AV sound card driver is interfering with Earthsim's PCM based audio. Earthsim is the only audio capable application I have with this particular problem. I've urged Earthsim to test with Replay AV to identify the cause, but have not heard back from them at this point.

Robert Weimer

Cheryl Wester
03-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Hi

Thank you for the additional information. We are always looking for help when it comes to recording.

yehia55
03-16-2008, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the info, I'm also a registered user of Earthsim, if you get a reply or a new information about that problem, please be so kind to let me share it.
Thanks again.:)