PDA

View Full Version : Heads Up: Daylight Savings Time & Scheduled Recording Issues

jss92
03-15-2010, 08:48 AM
Just happened to check all my scheduled recordings today and they all advanced 1 hour (i.e, was 6-10 AM is now 7-11 AM).

Windows 7 updated the system clock correctly but this appears to have impacted scheduled recordings in Replay AV.

FYI!

Cheryl Wester
03-15-2010, 12:02 PM
The issue with this is that there are some locations that do not change the time at the same time as we do. Also, there are some states that don't change the time at all.

chewypgh
03-15-2010, 03:56 PM
My recordings were affected, too. Unfortunately, I noticed too late for today's recordings.

Cheryl, why would the settings in Replay A/V change? Is this a setting I can change? If I set a recording for 6am, then Replay A/V should record at that time unless I change it. I don't want anyone messing with my recording times.

Cheryl Wester
03-15-2010, 04:28 PM
There are numerous reasons this could happen. It could be that you clock on your computer is not set up correctly for day light savings time, the location of the recording did not change, or simply a glitch.

Tursiops
03-16-2010, 01:44 PM
My recordings are messed up because I'm in Mexico. Lately the USA and Mexico switch to DST on different dates. Rather than jump through hoops, I'll just wait till we're both on DST and things should take care of themselves. XP knows enough to adjust my PC according to the rules down here in Mexico.

wardmd
03-17-2010, 08:45 AM
This, too, is a MAJOR issue (in my opinion).

Perhaps (in a future version), DATE/TIME stamps can be stored in UTC/GMT time.

THEN, if one could specify the TIMEZONE of the station to be recorded - then Replay A/V can always start/stop the recording (obviously at MY local time), which coincides with the SOURCE stream's origination timezone.

AND, this would FIX the Daylight Saving Time adjustment automatically.

Of course, this would require adding the TimeZone of the stream to the Schedule database, but it WOULD fix this issue once and for all, wouldn't it?

wardmd
03-17-2010, 08:48 AM
Keep in mind, that when one looks at a given Radio Station's WebSite, their schedule is based on THEIR Local Time (and, therefore, TimeZone).

Shouldn't the compensation of timezones be done by the SOFTWARE rather than the human?

Just my two cents' worth.

thetalk
03-18-2010, 01:31 PM
Here's the trick I use when recording TV shows on my VCR's and DVD recorders... ON MARCH 1st, SET THE DATE BACK TO FEBRUARY 1st! Because Feb has exactly 28 days (usually), March will start on the same day. That way it won't automatically adjust the time. Then I can just adjust the recording time manually. Once all the time changes have settled down, just bump the month back up to March.

stalky
03-30-2010, 04:45 AM
This has been an issue with Replay since the beginning. When the clocks change, the recording settings effectively stay put. While this may prevent a few missed recordings of stations outside of your region's DST schedule, the overwhelming effect is to make people record the wrong hour of a station. There's nothing wrong with my PCs time settings. I'm not sure why the Applian email responders aren't aware of their program's behavior.

Applian should either just store the local time of the recording all the time, or have a timezone field. It's not complicated.

Thanks.

Goattee
12-11-2011, 09:51 PM
The issue with this is that there are some locations that do not change the time at the same time as we do. Also, there are some states that don't change the time at all.

Cheryl, you have been helpful over the years but your explanation does not hold water-- it does not even make sense if you were to really analyze the symptoms.

Please see my comments in this thread:

https://forum.applian.com/showthread.php?7546-End-of-Daylight-Saving-Time-screws-up-record-times!!!!!!!!!!!!&p=27079&posted=1#post27079 (https://forum.applian.com/showthread.php?7546-End-of-Daylight-Saving-Time-screws-up-record-times%21%21%21%21%21%21%21%21%21%21%21%21&p=27079&posted=1#post27079)