PDA

View Full Version : Recording multiple stations at the same time

wardmd
03-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Hi, and forgive me if this has been addressed elsewhere (I'm new to the Applian suite of products), but when I have several radio programs scheduled to record (at the same time) - they launch small "player" windows, and play "out loud" (through the speakers).

While I know some stations have decided that they are going to host their OWN "media player" on their own websites (rather than simply providing an audio stream URL), but is it possible to simply "capture" these audio streams rather than "playing" them (and if so, what is the setting that will do that)?

Primarily, I'm looking at ClearChannel and Salem as the source of programming.

Thanks,
Mark Ward

Tom Mayes
03-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Hi Mark,

Replay AV allows one to record multiple streams simultaneously. The recording method though must be set to Capture by Downloading. This is doen in the Properties window, Recording tab. But, not all streams are able to be stream captured / downloaded. All audio streams can be audio recorded though. So, if an audio stream is not able to be stream captured, you would then set the recording method to Capture by Recording Audio Output. This is how you must have the recording method set for your stations/ streams in question. When doing an audio recording, the player itself launches and is heard for recording. Only what audio stream in audio recording mode can be recorded at any one time.

So, check our Media Guide to see if your stations are already listed. Then you can Add the station from the Guide to Replay AV and the default settings will be submitted. If a station's stream is capable of being stream captured, we will preferentially set it ip for that recording method. To open the Guide, in Replay AV, click Tools, Media Guide.

If the station's are not listed in the Media Guide, please submit them directly to our support team, Media Guide Department in our Support System: http://www.applian.com/support.php

We'll add the station and set it up with the correct audio recording method.

Hope this info helps.

Regards,

Tom Mayes

wardmd
03-10-2010, 03:43 PM
Again, forgive my lack of experience...

I get the need to launch the player window (for those streams which are not readily "capture"-able), but does this mean that only a SINGLE station (that requires a player window) can be recorded during any given time interval (that is, you're "capturing" the Audio Output [that which is headed to my speakers], so if there were TWO [or more] stations playing [or if I had a separate Media Player window open], I'd end up with the combined audio [like I hear through the speakers, when this occurs])?

Not that I expect you to be able to control every stations' embedded player, but once the stream is "playing", wouldn't it (theoretically) be possible to start capturing the packets destined to that player, and "mute" the player itself (not easy, to say the least, but technically possible)?

-Mark

Tom Mayes
03-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Mark,

You shouldn't need to manually launch the Player - this process is done within Replay AV, as long as the stream URL is in the URL field odf the Properties window, Basic tab. But, you are correct, that only one audio stream that is set up for audio recording can be recorded at any one time. This is why identifying a stream capture URL for a stream is preferable. Again, not all streams are able to be stream captured. But, if they are, and the correct URL is used, one can capture the file data of that stream in the background, and therefore, record multiple streams simultaneously.

So, check our Media Guide for your specific streams, and let us know the stations that are not listed in our Guide. We will do our best to add them to our database as stream capturable.

Tom.