PDA

View Full Version : Question about running RVC, Not as Administrator

ARP
03-07-2010, 08:52 PM
I downloaded the trial version of Replay Video Capture. As it were, I liked the software. It works well on my system. I'd consider buying the whole suite (because for an additional $40 its a lot more tools).

This is my question, I don't run my software as administrator. And I don't go online as administrator. I always create a user account to do my day-to-day. (sidebar: any IT professional should know better, this way if you pick up a virus, its not launched in an account with access to system files).

Ok, back on topic: I noticed what when I run RVC in a user account, it first gives me an error message that it can't access the .ini file. No problem, fixed by giving the user account full rights to the program directory.

Then it complains about not being able to write to my registry. Why would the program need to access my registry over and over? Is there any way to run this software in non-administrator mode?

Thanks,
ARP

ARP
03-09-2010, 03:16 PM
Hmm - days without a reply.

carlobee
03-09-2010, 06:16 PM
i really haven't tried running it in a non-administrator account. i would want to know why it constantly seeks to access the registry.

by the way, good thinking on the virus part. i might as well consider that too.

stream-recorder.com
03-10-2010, 12:22 AM
Even in Linux, which is way safer than any Windows, some programs require root privileges. There is nothing wrong with that.

ARP
03-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Even in Linux, which is way safer than any Windows, some programs require root privileges. There is nothing wrong with that.

Uh ... Suuuuure.

#1 - Yes .. some programs require it (as constrained by the OS). But there's still a right time and a wrong time.

#2 - Its a lot easier to give some excuse, than to consider making better software. But I guess you already know that.

I've read a lot about Applian support being good - so I was excited about the product. At the moment:

- It DOESN'T work when trying to capture some DVD players.
- You HAVE to run it in admin mode.
- The support (or at least finding people in the company looking to make the product better), seems mediocre at best.

Thanks,
But I think I've made my decision on your software.

stream-recorder.com
03-13-2010, 04:14 AM
- It DOESN'T work when trying to capture some DVD players.
What exactly are you referring to? The fact that you need to install a freeware player like VLC if you can't disable video acceleration?

- The support (or at least finding people in the company looking to make the product better), seems mediocre at best.
I've been developing software myself. I think it is important to make a stable product that does work. Satisfying every need of every customer and potential customer is not something that mass-market products can offer. I wonder whether you expected something else.

Replay Video Capture is good at recording audio and video keeping them in sync for hours. It can also record audio on those computers that doesn't have stereo mix. Most customers are satisfied by its quality and size of the videos.

There will probably be new features, but most probably the ones that most customers need.

Mattheus
06-20-2012, 02:21 PM
And was it any fix for this problem? How can one use this program without beeing admin?

Jeff Lenney
06-21-2012, 11:05 PM
And was it any fix for this problem? How can one use this program without beeing admin?

Unfortunately, one still cannot.

juanlfm
06-22-2012, 02:10 AM
As a System Administrator I would prefer not to have anyone introduce software into any of my systems; IŽd rather they let me do it, thus Administrator rights are paramount. Now, in our own home on our own PC, we are the administrator, so no problem with authority.

GregE
07-18-2012, 04:32 PM
I'm with juanlfm, we don't run windows 7 accounts with administrator rights. Any chance your software is going to be updated to run as a non admin anytime soon?

Cheryl Wester
07-18-2012, 08:06 PM
I believe the latest version of Video Capture does work without being in an admin account. Give it a try.

GregE
07-19-2012, 08:42 AM
We are using v6.0.4 and have tried installing it as the Administrator then running it as a power user and making the user a local administrator, installing the program then restoring him back to a power user.

Neither worked, so do you have a recomendation, or do you have a update newer than 6.0.4?