PDA

View Full Version : RAV8 is cutting off recording part way through programs

murray
02-07-2010, 01:39 PM
Lately I'm finding that AV8 is cutting off recording part way through programs. Sometimes it's after only a minute or two, sometimes it's as much as an hour or more into the program. It seems pretty random. This wasn't happening until recently. In fact, it seems to have become a problem about the same time as my Media Splitter stared acting up, which still hasn't been resolved. Any ideas what's causing it? Is it something to do with one of the recent "upgrades"?

Cheryl Wester
02-07-2010, 01:59 PM
Are you doing an audio recording or a stream capture? Are you getting an error message?

DavidB
02-08-2010, 07:58 AM
I am having the same issue with stream capture and V8.76.

Cheryl Wester
02-08-2010, 08:35 AM
When you are having this issue it is helpful if we know the link that is giving you this problem. Also, if you are not using 8.77 you are not using the latest update. Uninstall what you have first and then do a fresh install from our site.

DavidB
02-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Cheryl - Upgraded to 8.77. Ticket raised.

murray
02-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Are you doing an audio recording or a stream capture? Are you getting an error message?

Scheduled stream captures, no error message - it just shuts off. It was supposed to record four separate programs over the last couple of days - didn't get any of them. A couple recorded for a minute ore two, the others didn't even get that far.

Cheryl Wester
02-08-2010, 01:56 PM
You need to submit a support ticket. Include the log file and the links you had that give you the problem. Thanks.

murray
02-08-2010, 03:32 PM
OK - ticket submitted

DADEO
02-09-2010, 05:24 AM
Does anyone know if these shows stop recording if the show stops to buffer?

Flat_Timmy
02-11-2010, 08:56 AM
Is there any kind of update on this? I've been having the same problem off and on for the last week.

eridani013
02-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Same here... This problem has become very frustrating and virtually eliminates any need for this program. If the program can't record as scheduled, it is worthless to me.

The sirius stream problem was solved and it worked fine for a week, but since the beginning of this week it hasn't recorded more than three hours straight when I need to record around six hours.

Please look into this problem quickly!!!

szthedy
02-23-2010, 07:33 PM
whew I thought I was the only one and was starting to think it was hardware. The issue was happening in 876 and continues in 877. I have tried recording from multiple sources even from something as generic as itunes. After a while a few minutes to a few hours one of two things occur Replay pegs the CPU at 99 - 100% or I get an error message. I have been using a much older version for years and just in the past few months decided to update to the newer version ... so far big mistake !
Feels to me like a memory leak, just my opinion

bblackmoor
03-08-2010, 03:15 PM
I had the exact same problem for a week or two a few months ago, then it started working again.

I submitted a report at that time, and jumped through a number of hoops trying to troubleshoot the problem. Neither Applian nor I was ever able to figure out what caused the problem, and neither Applian nor I know why the problem suddenly went away.

It started happening again a week or so ago.

bblackmoor
03-17-2010, 10:48 AM
I am still having this problem. I had hoped that it would fix itself, as it did last time, but no such luck.

I submitted a tech support request. They are trying to be helpful, but they apparently have no more idea what causes this now than they did last time. Here are some things I have definitely rules out as being the problem:

* It is NOT a firewall problem. The firewall is turned off.
* It is NOT an antivirus problem. The antivirus is turned off.
* It is NOT a full hard drive.
* It is NOT a dropped network connection. The network is still up throughout the lack-of-capture period.
* It is NOT a conversion problem. The capture stops at one minute. Conversion works fine. Under "Status/Last Recording" the "CAPTURING MM:SS" display will simply freeze after capturing for roughly one minute (as "CAPTURING 35:55", for example. Then, when the "split at X minutes" period comes up (I have it set to split at 5 minutes), it will jump to "CAPTURING 39:49". It captures normally until it reaches "CAPTURING 41:03", then freeze for the next four minutes. Repeat until the show's scheduled end time. (These times are just examples.)
* It is NOT caused by the "return automatically" toggle being off or on. I have tried it both ways.

bblackmoor
03-17-2010, 11:13 AM
By the way, here is a screen shot in which you can see that the "Status" text has been frozen at "CAPTURING 0:44" for over three minutes.

http://www.blackgate.net/temp/rav8_003.jpg

bblackmoor
03-18-2010, 08:51 AM
I switched all of my shows to record through the sound card instead of recording the streams. This seems to work. But it would be nice to be able to record streams.

bblackmoor
04-02-2010, 10:54 PM
FYI, 8.79 still has this problem.

MyRosie
04-06-2010, 01:00 PM
If I fix this problem for you guys, can i get a free choice of software as a gift??? ;)

I had the same problem where it turned off recording, yet it saved and everything was fine, it just stopped recording. That day I didn't restart my computer before the recording, and since then I returned to restarting within the half hour before the recording time and it hasn't done it since.

I can't remember the term it's called, but I DON'T record the way where you listen to it live with the wave line moving.

If i fix your problem I think I deserve a free software ;)

bblackmoor
04-07-2010, 10:37 AM
I have given up on getting current versions of Replay AV to work. Simply given up. I am now back-tracking to older versions until I get back to the version which worked so beautifully so reliably for so long.

bblackmoor
04-07-2010, 01:22 PM
I have installed 8.43, and that did not help fix the one-minute issue. On a whim, I changed the networking settings in the VM in which replay AV runs from "NAT" to "Bridged". I also changed the network card settings on the host computer to "Media/gaming" mode. I am not sure what that means, but in my troubleshooting, I have read that this can help with streaming media problems.

For the moment, I appear to be able to record streams again without it cutting off at one minute. I am going to shut down the Replay AV virtual machine, reboot the host computer, and see how it goes for the next couple of days.

MyRosie
04-08-2010, 02:29 PM
*POSSIBLE SOLUTION*

I had the same problem where it turned off recording, yet it saved and everything was fine, it just stopped recording. That day I didn't restart my computer before the recording, and since then I returned to restarting within the half hour before the recording time and it hasn't done it since.

I can't remember the term it's called, but I DON'T record the way where you listen to it live with the wave line moving.

Restart right before recording and see if that helps. So far it's worked perfect for me.

bblackmoor
04-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Even if that would work (it does not work, for me), rebooting the computer eight times a day is not a feasible solution.

alanell1
06-28-2010, 09:38 AM
Are the above members recording in "real time" i.e capturing live streams or are they downloading archived programs (for example those available from BBC Radio's Listen Again facility - and perhaps using the most recent update of Replay AV viz Version 8.81b? I set RAV to simultaneously record 3 archived shows - namely a 3 hour Shakespeare play on Radio 3, and two 1 hour music programmes on Radio 2 and convert them to .wma format - but on returning to my computer after about 25 minutes I found that recording had seemingly ceased for the music shows. Then 3 minutes later the screen indicated that the Shakespeare was "saving", had "saved" and was "converting" to .wma format. On checking the Recordings folder however I found that all three shows had been captured in their entireties and to the specified format(s).

Presumably this is exactly the same as happens when we download a file from one of those Old Time Radio sites where, although what we are accessing is (say) a 10 Mb file comprising a 25 minute show, what we get is an mp3 file which takes about 90 seconds to save to our hard drive? My apologies if I seem to be insulting members' intelligence here but I have to admit that when I first found it was possible to record archived shows by the streaming route I believed the only advantage to be (as with live streaming) that I could have three or four of them recording at the same time and that if I wanted to hear Anthony and Cleopatra I would first have to sit and watch the RAV timer crawl through 3 hours.

If as has been reported the RAV recording process seems to have been terminated but despite this the corresponding audio files have been saved then it is worthwhile checking out their properties - especially any suffixed .asf which on closer examination may prove to be .asf Type: .mp3 (.wma or whatvever format might have been asked for).

One user said that RAV 8 had stopped recording a minute in. It occurs to me that if he or she were trying to record from an archive then a track which was three minutes long might very well be captured inside sixty seconds.

bblackmoor
06-28-2010, 09:45 AM
My recordings are all "live", as far as I know.

keithperdue
07-07-2010, 04:03 AM
I have noticed the same problem.

What I think is happening is that for some reason RAV is failing to record properly then restarts recording again and creates a new temp recording file.

It saves to a temp file called ARAD1 but when it carries on recording it saves to the next free number i.e. ARAD2, ARAD3 or whatever.

When the recording finishes it only converts the first recording i.e (ARAD1 which could be any length). and ignores the rest. It then deletes all temporary ARAD files.

If you look in the root directory of where you save recordings to you will see these files being created during a recording session.

A snag has obviously been introduced in an update.

Cheryl Wester
07-07-2010, 07:00 AM
Sometimes when capturing live streams, there are gaps in the transmission -- this is why the splits occurred. Try increasing the Stream Capture Time Out setting. This is located under Replay A/V's Main Settings, under the Tuning tab.

Also, if it is an archive it is going to record as fast as your Internet and the server on the other end allow. If you do continue to have a problem write to tech support and include a link, what version of windows you are using, and a log file.

bbcfreak
07-29-2010, 05:15 AM
This is a problem I have been trying to explain for some time now - it started with Vista and continues with Windows 7, although I suspect the revisions of AV 8 may also be involved. As with others, I find that the stream download counter freezes and there is only a partial file. What I do note is that it only happens when I am on my office network and that my broadband connection has a tendency to drop out frequently. I do not have this problem at home or in other hot spots, so I am getting a service call from my provider ( Bell ) to see if there is a line fault causing this. I will follow this thread with interest and will post if my broadband connection is the proven culprit.