PDA

View Full Version : 16:9 .flv converting to 4:3

JMGNYC
08-14-2008, 07:25 PM
I'm trying to conver a .flv from FabChannel that has a 16:9 aspect ration for use on an iPhone. Replay Converter converts to 4:3 and everything looks squashed. None of the resolution options in the Target Format Prompts are 16:9 either.

Do I need to do a custom resolution or am I missing something? 16:9 is pretty standard, I'm surprised if it isn't supported.

Cheryl Wester
08-15-2008, 07:17 AM
We just had an update yesterday that corrects this issue with our new beta. If you haven't tried it yet download the beta and give it a try. I think you will be very happy with it.

JMGNYC
08-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Thanks so much for your reply.

I tried a custom conversion (480x270) with the non-beta Replay Converter in 16:9 and it did work although the quality was really poor compared to the original .flv file.

I tried the 3.0 beta on the iPhone 450K setting. The quality was much better in the beta. It got the video aspect ratio right but still crammed it into 4:3 with black letterbox bars above and below. While this is obviously a big improvement I was hoping for a real 16:9 video rather than letterbox 4:3. Any settings I could tweak?

Also, I couldn't find any custom settings in the 3.0 beta. Did you decide to do away with them?

goldwings98se
08-16-2008, 08:38 AM
Thanks so much for your reply.

I tried a custom conversion (480x270) with the non-beta Replay Converter in 16:9 and it did work although the quality was really poor compared to the original .flv file.

I tried the 3.0 beta on the iPhone 450K setting. The quality was much better in the beta. It got the video aspect ratio right but still crammed it into 4:3 with black letterbox bars above and below. While this is obviously a big improvement I was hoping for a real 16:9 video rather than letterbox 4:3. Any settings I could tweak?

Also, I couldn't find any custom settings in the 3.0 beta. Did you decide to do away with them?

If you right click the Target Format you will see an option to edit the settings and or delete a conversion type.

JMGNYC
08-17-2008, 08:33 AM
If you right click the Target Format you will see an option to edit the settings and or delete a conversion type.

Ah yes, didn't think of doing that. Thanks!

I did a custom MPEG-4 for 16:9 (480x270) and it worked great.