PDA

View Full Version : File Not Converted?

Spiggy Topes
08-13-2008, 12:06 PM
Using Replay A/V 8, I recorded from CBC last night from 3:00 am to 7:30 am. Stayed up and watched the first 30 minutes to make sure all was going well, then left it to do its own thing. Came back this morning, to find the named directory empty, and a file of around 1 Gbyte in a New_File (? - whatever the default folder name is) folder. I assume that's because I left "Record Now" checked, but that doesn't seem very intuitive.

Trouble is, the file extension is still .cap. I can open it in Windoze Media Player 10, and it plays fine, but it's missing duration information, so all I can do right now is watch; no seek, no fast forward. I didn't have time to make sure it went all the way to 7:30 - I'd still be there now - but I did the math and at 500 kbytes/second, the file size looks good for 4.5 hours.

I've backed up the file and left Replay Converter running to convert to a 450kbps AVI file, to see if that's better. But I suspect there's a better way to make this file properly compatible with WMP. Is there?

Cheryl Wester
08-13-2008, 09:15 PM
A CAP file is usually a temporary file. It means the program stopped abruptly or there was perhaps a glitch in the download that prevented it from finishing. Please right mouse click it and rename it. Use the extension that it should be such as .mp3 and it should work for you.

pbelenky
08-17-2008, 10:29 AM
Having twice set Replay A/V for stream capture and splitting, I returned each time to find that after eight hours it stopped, unbidden, with a .cap file of 450.4 meg. This did not occur at a specific time, when the source might have gone off the air, but exactly eight hours after Replay A/V started recording. It then seems to have started splitting and storing .mp3 segments but failed almost immediately, so that I found a message box on the screen that the program had stopped working.

That is one problem: that I can't rely on Replay to continue recording until told to stop or to split the capture stream into mp3 segments. The second problem pertains to the previous reply in this thread. Yes, renaming a .cap file as .mp3 will allow it to be played, but there is a "hiccup" in the audio every couple of seconds. If I want to rescue it, how can I save the mp3 as segments without the blips? How can I recover the segment names as broadcast?

Cheryl Wester
08-17-2008, 05:37 PM
A CAP file is a temporary file. It is caused by the Internet having a glitch, the server on the other end, computer glitch, or program glitch. You will be able to rename the extension and it will play for you but it will probably not split for you.