PDA

View Full Version : Scheduling MMS Recording?

Spiggy Topes
08-11-2008, 11:39 AM
I thought Replay A/V might be the ideal way to capture CBC's streaming Olympic coverage. It works great on active streams, but I can't find a way to capture streams not yet started. The streams use MMS, and I think are individually identified by a "reflector" parameter in the URL, but there's also an authentication key which I suspect becomes invalid at the end of each broadcast. So I can't pick up the URL for the stream at 12:00 pm to 3:00 am and have it work for the stream from 3:30 am to 6:00 am.

Any ideas on how I get around this, short of waiting up until 3:30 am?

craig78681
08-11-2008, 12:07 PM
See if the August 6 & 7 blog entries (http://www.applian.com/blog/) help.

Spiggy Topes
08-11-2008, 02:11 PM
See if the August 6 & 7 blog entries (http://www.applian.com/blog/) help.

Not a lot, unfortunately. They relate to NBC, which is not using MMS to broadcast. NBC doesn't provide to non-US IPs, CBC doesn't provide to non-Canadian IPs. If I bring up one of the MMS feeds through the browser, the URL appears in my Replay A/V stream list, identified as using mms protocol. I can record from that, no trouble at all. But if that broadcast terminates, the next broadcast on the same streaming channel won't accept the URL from the previous broadcast, probably because the authentication key from the earlier session is no longer valid.

mark40511
08-18-2008, 09:44 PM
I am running into the SAME THING.........I record coast to coast everynight.....Every time I use the URL finder and schedule a recording.....It wont work. Once the URL is scheduled, I go and "tune to station" which works perfectly......Once that broadcast is over, the URL must change every time........I've tried several stations to work around this because I don't really care for my local station anyway........thanks.

craig78681
08-19-2008, 05:07 AM
I am running into the SAME THING.........I record coast to coast everynight.....Every time I use the URL finder and schedule a recording.....It wont work. Once the URL is scheduled, I go and "tune to station" which works perfectly......Once that broadcast is over, the URL must change every time...
Is the stream you want to record listed in the Replay Media Guide? If so, add it to your Replay A/V from the media guide. The Applian team seems to use some kind of technique for streams that require a user ID and password. Maybe that is all you will need to stay in synch with a constantly changing URL.

If your program is not in the Media Guide submit a request to the team. They'll do their best to provide you with a way to record the show consistently.

mark40511
08-19-2008, 12:25 PM
Thanks.........That helped........One thing I do on occasion is tape a local radio show.......example......wlap.com There URL is always changing so you can't schedule a program.. Not that I'm too horribly upset by that but still......:)

craig78681
08-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks.........That helped........One thing I do on occasion is tape a local radio show.......example......wlap.com There URL is always changing so you can't schedule a program.. Not that I'm too horribly upset by that but still......:)
Have you tried using the WLAP entry from the Media Guide? I record programs from radio stations in various cities everyday using the addresses provided in the Media Guide.

Unsolicited plug here: the Media Guide is an incredibly valuable part of the whole Applian product line. At $0.00/month/year/whatever the price is pretty much unbeatable. :)

mark40511
08-19-2008, 12:42 PM
craig.......Very sorry.........shockingly enough.........both am radio stations are THERE! I added them both and tuned to station and it worked! Very sorry. Its just the last time I searched for those specific stations it brought no results. I should have checked before posting. Many thanks! :)

craig78681
08-19-2008, 12:47 PM
craig.......Very sorry.........shockingly enough.........both am radio stations are THERE! I added them both and tuned to station and it worked! Very sorry. Its just the last time I searched for those specific stations it brought no results. I should have checked before posting. Many thanks! :)
Unlike the United States Constitution the Replay Media Guide is a living document. Stations change stuff all the time. And we the people must report entries that are missing or don't work back to the Applian staff. They are not trolling the entries to see which ones have quit working (nor should they be).