PDA

View Full Version : Replay Music 3 freezes -- SOLVED.

psygn
12-08-2009, 01:28 AM
Hi,

The latest version of Replay Music 3 must be using another method to authenticate/initialize the program than the older versions that install and work fine for me. I even went to the length of installing Windows Vista in a VM with Windows Firewall turned off and no security. It didn't budge.

Symptoms:
* Entering the code to register (registration pop up upon first load) freezes the program; CPU usage rises to 50
* Clicking on the trial demo option allows me to go pass the registration pop up, but the program doesn't do anything but eat up memory in my task manager (no signs of program working or showing up in the taskbar or desktop); CPU usage also rises to 50

--

No other program has done this to me upon installation or registration, however, my ISP -- whether deliberately or not -- doesn't play well with streaming music in programs like Last.FM, ShoutCast (some stations do work), and similar programs, UNLESS I use a proxy. With the proxy, I am able to stream music just fine.

Taking this into account, I decided to launch Replay Music 3 through a VPN service (Ivacy.com), and IT WORKED! It took my registration code, and immediately opened up the program like all previous versions.

So then I tried reopening the program without the VPN and it behaves as it does before: it disappears from view, but remains in memory with CPU usage of 50.

--

I tried installing an older version of Replay Music 3 and it installs just fine, as do every other program besides Replay Music 3 on my computer. This leads me to suspect that the developers use an uncommon way of sending the registration info to unlock/initialize the program. Now this uncommon way may work for many, but it is probably an uncommon practice for a reason -- some of us are stuck with ISP's that are more restrictive than others in terms of networking.

My ISP is Hughesnet (Satellite), and if I remember correctly, we are all stuck behind their proxy called Turbo Page. This impairs some forms of networking communication -- I know I always get an error in one of my settings when I try to connect to XBOX Live because of this (as do all other customers of Hughesnet).

So, anyway, if the small fraction of you are having trouble, I hope this helps. Try running the program through a proxy. I hope the developers use more common practices of registering that would be compatible for all as no other program I install and register behaves this way (Norton 2009, Internet Download Manager, Acronis True Image, etc). Again, this is probably affecting a small minority, so I have my doubts that the developers will change anything (probably changed for security reasons). Just remember to try registering it through proxy.

psygn
12-08-2009, 01:39 AM
Bug (usability) report:

At the registration pop up, the user is given a choice to enter his key to register the program or to enter trial mode.

The user decides to enter his key, and then presses the enter key as it is a common action when submitting information in a field -- however, in the registration pop up, it registers that action as a selection for trial mode. :(

stream-recorder.com
12-08-2009, 04:07 AM
Hi,

The latest version of Replay Music 3 must be using another method to authenticate/initialize the program than the older versions that install and work fine for me. I even went to the length of installing Windows Vista in a VM with Windows Firewall turned off and no security. It didn't budge.

Symptoms:
* Entering the code to register (registration pop up upon first load) freezes the program; CPU usage rises to 50
* Clicking on the trial demo option allows me to go pass the registration pop up, but the program doesn't do anything but eat up memory in my task manager (no signs of program working or showing up in the taskbar or desktop); CPU usage also rises to 50

--

No other program has done this to me upon installation or registration, however, my ISP -- whether deliberately or not -- doesn't play well with streaming music in programs like Last.FM, ShoutCast (some stations do work), and similar programs, UNLESS I use a proxy. With the proxy, I am able to stream music just fine.

Taking this into account, I decided to launch Replay Music 3 through a VPN service (Ivacy.com), and IT WORKED! It took my registration code, and immediately opened up the program like all previous versions.

So then I tried reopening the program without the VPN and it behaves as it does before: it disappears from view, but remains in memory with CPU usage of 50.

--

I tried installing an older version of Replay Music 3 and it installs just fine, as do every other program besides Replay Music 3 on my computer. This leads me to suspect that the developers use an uncommon way of sending the registration info to unlock/initialize the program. Now this uncommon way may work for many, but it is probably an uncommon practice for a reason -- some of us are stuck with ISP's that are more restrictive than others in terms of networking.

My ISP is Hughesnet (Satellite), and if I remember correctly, we are all stuck behind their proxy called Turbo Page. This impairs some forms of networking communication -- I know I always get an error in one of my settings when I try to connect to XBOX Live because of this (as do all other customers of Hughesnet).

So, anyway, if the small fraction of you are having trouble, I hope this helps. Try running the program through a proxy. I hope the developers use more common practices of registering that would be compatible for all as no other program I install and register behaves this way (Norton 2009, Internet Download Manager, Acronis True Image, etc). Again, this is probably affecting a small minority, so I have my doubts that the developers will change anything (probably changed for security reasons). Just remember to try registering it through proxy.
Try to disable your firewall, antivirus, anti-spyware, anti-malware and see whether you have the same symptoms when using Replay Music without any Proxy servers or VPNs.

psygn
12-08-2009, 09:18 AM
I have done that in my main OS (I had to reinstall Windows 7), and as I have mentioned, I tried in VM under Windows Vista. The latest version was a no-go with all security measures disabled and running as administrator.

I am nearly 100% that this is the fault of my ISP and the program.
My ISP sends all Hughesnet traffic through their own proxy called Turbo Page. I suspect that whatever network communication this program makes to authenticate and initialize the program does not play well with this, as this is the only program that fails to activate, even under a fresh install.

But luckily, with a proxy/VPN, it works just fine when registering.