PDA

View Full Version : Slow recording

dok_indo
08-10-2008, 08:00 PM
With the earlier version of RMC, I was only able to record a partial stream from the music archives at kcrw.com. For example, it would only record 1 hour of the 2.5 hour program. But it recorded the 1 hour in less than 5 minutes.

Now with the new version, it seems to be recording the more than in the past, but it is very slow. It seems to be recording in real time, ~1MB/min.

Any setting I need to change to make this record faster?

Also, do I need to leave the stream playing? This wasn't an issue with the previous version since it recorded so fast, but now with a 2.5 hour stream, I don't know.

thanks

Andy Heinlein
08-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Hello...

There is a (long and drawn-out) reason for this... I won't get into the details... but, you can make the new version do the fast downloading by:

1) Open Media Catcher
2) Go to Tools>>Settings
3) Hi-lite "Capture Flash RTMP stream"
4) Click "Plug-in Options"
5) Tick the "Enable Super Download" option

Please be warned that if you try to capture media that is over an hour long that the media will fail to download and give you an incomplete download. Only use this to capture movies that you know are under an hour in length.

The previous version always used the "Super Download" option... and as a result, many incomplete downloads occured. This caused a lot of headaches for everyone... so now the option is off by default. This way you always capture the media in full, it just takes longer.

Hope that clears things up.

-andy.

Edited to add:
No you don't need to leave the media playing if you are recording it... once it starts, you can close the browser or browse away.

dok_indo
08-10-2008, 09:25 PM
thanks for the fast and helpful response!