PDA

View Full Version : I'm stuck!

tsmart
08-10-2008, 05:42 PM
OK. I downloaded the demo. It comes up just fine. I watched the tutorial.
I opened Media Catcher, waited for it to upload the updates.

I clicked START RECORDING, the button turned red. I opened You Tube to download the rare 70's disco tune that I cannot get anywhere else.:)

The tune started playing, but nothing appeared in the box, nothing was being recorded.

I followed instructions to dump the temp internet files and no help.

If I can get this demo to work, I definitely will purchase this product.

FYI: windows vista and I did what was suggested to "run as administrator"

So I'm stuck. Somebody straighten me out. Thanks..

Debbie McCormick
08-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Can you post the URL of the video please?

tsmart
08-10-2008, 07:05 PM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=c30T2FmH30

but the zeros may be o's....dont know.

tsmart
08-10-2008, 07:15 PM
disregard the above. Here it is.... www.youtube.com/watch?C30T2FmH3o

Andy Heinlein
08-10-2008, 08:55 PM
This sounds like a Windows Vista problem.

There are two ways to make Media Catcher work properly on Vista. One is to turn off User Account Control (http://applian.com/support-vista.php#UAC). The second option is to simply use Mozilla Firefox (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/) for your web browser.

What it comes down to is: Microsoft decided to "cripple" Internet Explorer on Vista by not allowing 3rd party programs (such as Media Catcher) to work with it hand-in-hand. By turning off User Account Control, you "uncripple" Internet Explorer. By using Firefox you avoid using Internet Explorer all together; and as a bonus (in my humble opinion), you get a better web experience :)

-andy.

tsmart
08-11-2008, 11:01 AM
OK, I have downloaded Firefox. It is now my browser. Should I now reload RMC as it is not in the firefox toolbar. Thank you for your assistance.

Andy Heinlein
08-11-2008, 11:35 AM
Replay Media Catcher will not be a toolbar in your browser. It is an application which launches from your Windows desktop. You should see a blue icon on your desktop with an image of a net on it. Double-click it to open Media Catcher. Next, make sure you click "Start Recording". Now you can open Firefox and go to any page that has audio/video and it should record it.

-andy.

tsmart
08-11-2008, 03:24 PM
OK, its up and running. (firefox did the trick) But I have two more questions.

Why is the download slower than if the recorder is not on. It took me 30 minutes to get the download (a 6 minute tune) with the RMC on and 10 minutes to get it with the RMC off. I am using Vista/Firefox/cellular broadband. It seems that all browsing is slower with RMC on than off, why is that?

I notice in the box there's two things, one is my youtube download, and the other is webdump. Both files seem to be the same size. When I click on the vid, it plays the vid and music. I am afraid to click the webdump tho...dont want to lose anything.

I am only trying to save the music, the vid is not important. May I delete the webdump or is it necessary for me to keep it. In what cases would it be necessary to keep it.

I notice that you have to have the RMC running BEFORE you open the browser...if you open it AFTER the browser is running it will not record, probably as designed.

If the download is slow, i.e. it starts and stops, is there any way I can download the entire tune then replay it to get it to RMC??

When the selection has finished in the recording mode, am I still recording? Or does the end of the vid/music effectively stop the download.

I would like to thank you for your support, this is a GREAT product. Even if I cannot get things done faster, it's still great cause I can record something I have been trying to get for years before bedtime and it'll be there in the morning, still a great stride for me.

Andy Heinlein
08-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Why is the download slower than if the recorder is not on. It took me 30 minutes to get the download (a 6 minute tune) with the RMC on and 10 minutes to get it with the RMC off. I am using Vista/Firefox/cellular broadband. It seems that all browsing is slower with RMC on than off, why is that?

Media Catcher duplicates the connections your browser makes so it can download target media. This will slow down your transfers because Media Catcher doubles the amount of bandwidth needed. Cable/DSL users won't notice it as much as you will since you are on a Cellular network (which is a tad slower)

I notice in the box there's two things, one is my youtube download, and the other is webdump. Both files seem to be the same size. When I click on the vid, it plays the vid and music. I am afraid to click the webdump tho...dont want to lose anything. I am only trying to save the music, the vid is not important. May I delete the webdump or is it necessary for me to keep it. In what cases would it be necessary to keep it.

You must have turned on the Web Stream Dumper plug-in (which is off by default.) Simply go to Tools>>Settings and uncheck the Web Stream Dumper option. You don't need this on... this is only needed in special circumstances.

I notice that you have to have the RMC running BEFORE you open the browser...if you open it AFTER the browser is running it will not record, probably as designed.

True.. you need set to Record before you open your browser, this way Media Catcher can detect the browser opening and start watching for media. If you open Media Catcher after you open the browser, there is a good chance Media Catcher won't know there is an open browser.

If the download is slow, i.e. it starts and stops, is there any way I can download the entire tune then replay it to get it to RMC??

Once Media Catcher starts recording, you can browse away or close your browser... Media Catcher makes it's own connection to get the media.

When the selection has finished in the recording mode, am I still recording? Or does the end of the vid/music effectively stop the download.

Media Catcher will let you know when it's done downloading the media by making a small noise and showing a green checkbox next to the download.

---
Hope that helps.. please let me know if you have any other questions...

-andy.

tsmart
08-11-2008, 06:45 PM
thanks andy for all your help.
Last questions. When I purchase for my DESKTOP, must I purchase again for my LAPTOP. I would like to use the software when I am travelling.

When I buy a NEW computer, must I purchase again for that one too? Do you tie it to email address or ????

again thanks so much, 48 hours ago I did not know this software or your company existed. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! That's rare, man!

Andy Heinlein
08-11-2008, 09:05 PM
You may use the key on as many computers as you like.. as long as it's just you and not the whole internet :)

I am glad you are enjoying the software... it's great to hear that every now and then!

-andy.