PDA

View Full Version : Capturing NETFLIX Strewaming video

imsa76
02-29-2008, 06:38 AM
Having trouble capturing NETFLIX streaming video in a IE browser - suggestions?

Jeff Lenney
02-29-2008, 10:55 AM

Hey there, Actually you might want to try it using Replay Screencast. That's the ONLY way to record it, as they've set up a unique browser that cannot be 'captured' by any other method. I've got a SMOKING fast home internet connection, and it was a bit jumpy for me, as Netflix browser uses A LOT of bandwidth and memory. But give it a shot, maybe you'll have better luck than I did personally. :-)

Heyitsrick
03-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Note: I complained about Applian's marketing vis-a-vis Netflix, as they give you the impression you can successfully record Netflix. However, it's not really possible or feasible to get a good recording right now. Between the CPU requirements of both the Netflix player and the Screencast program, the framerates are terrible.

On the other side of the coin, Applian told me --to their credit-- that the Screencast program will soon be updated to be less CPU intensive. Hopefully that will help.

Netflix utilizes Microsoft's "Silverlight" streaming (MS's Flash-like application).

floydj
03-19-2008, 03:33 PM

I know I am both off-topic here and out of place, but I have captured streamed movies (using MovieLink as my source) by playing them in full screen on my lap top and then feeding the laptop output via S-Video to my DVD Recorder/TV. I know it is not Applian's playground, but it gets the job done.

Floyd

Heyitsrick
03-20-2008, 10:06 PM
I did a test tonight using the Netflix streaming (in Internet Explorer) with the Screencast in Recording mode as well. Screencast was using about 95 percent of my CPU's cycles, effectively bringing the PC to a halt. So, they definitely need to rewrite the code for Screencast to make it efficient. It's unusable now (at least for Netflix) with such a high CPU utilization rate.

Jeff Lenney
03-23-2008, 10:11 AM
Hi Erick

I Guess I lucked out with this due to my dual-core processor (spent $400 on it, it better work, haha). I did hear from the developer on screencast, and they are working on a version that will use lower cpu usage. I don't have an eta at this time, but I know it's being worked on. :D

jsjohnston7
04-29-2008, 12:45 PM
Floyd,
I've had some success recording things to my camcorder from one device to pass it to another device. It's time comsuming but it gets the job done, most times. I wish I had a better way. Any ideas, Applian?
Joseph

jsjohnston7
04-29-2008, 01:18 PM
Jeff,
I have in the past used Pinnacle products with success. As the speed of the processors increased rendure time decrease. I was happy about that. Then after buying a very costly caputure board they discontinued support of it and I was not happy. However, the board worked great. Later I bought another Pinncle board that worked well with the less processors time required and worked with XP. I was again happy.
With higher speeds and duel processor boards the card wouldn't work. A new program for these higher speeds was required now for XP and a faster display card. Now 1.6 GHz not fast enough then for capture? OK, now a Dual processor and new software and the industry moves into streaming and old ways of video production in in trouble and .....
Ugh! We've got to get used to a life of learning. Computers wait for no man!
Joseph :rolleyes:

Jeff Lenney
04-30-2008, 07:27 PM
I wonder if we (as humans) will ever catch up... :)

At any rate, you'll be happy to know that our developers are working on a version of Screencast that uses much LESS bandwidth. This would make recording netflix and similiar streams much less of a strain on your pc, and as a result of that..much more viewable. :D

I don't have an ETA as of yet, but hopefully sooner as opposed to later...

LVWolfman
07-31-2008, 04:59 PM
I just purchased the "Record EVERYTHING" suite today.

Both Replay A/V 8.42 and And Replay Media Catcher 2.3 were able to record a streaming Netflix movie.

However, the movie was recorded as an ASF file. When I try to convert it to MP4 using Replay Converter so I can watch the movie on my iPod later, it only does the first 50K or so then says it's finished. This happens even when ReplayAV does the conversion (using Replay Converter I think.)

I guess we're still waiting for the new version of screencast mentioned. It's been about four months since the last post and the latest version is 1.0.0.1 from three years ago.

I'd also like to know why, when I use the wizard on the Applian website to find what to use to record Netflix, you tell me to use WM Capture, a program that you don't sell, support or anything else other than email market?

Just FWIW I own WMRecorder and RMRecorder having bought them several years ago.

Jeff Lenney
07-31-2008, 05:22 PM
I just purchased the "Record EVERYTHING" suite today.

Both Replay A/V 8.42 and And Replay Media Catcher 2.3 were able to record a streaming Netflix movie.

However, the movie was recorded as an ASF file. When I try to convert it to MP4 using Replay Converter so I can watch the movie on my iPod later, it only does the first 50K or so then says it's finished. This happens even when ReplayAV does the conversion (using Replay Converter I think.)

I guess we're still waiting for the new version of screencast mentioned. It's been about four months since the last post and the latest version is 1.0.0.1 from three years ago.

I'd also like to know why, when I use the wizard on the Applian website to find what to use to record Netflix, you tell me to use WM Capture, a program that you don't sell, support or anything else other than email market?

Just FWIW I own WMRecorder and RMRecorder having bought them several years ago.

Hi,

We do not own WM Recorder or WM Capture. We jointly own the WM Recorder site, and market and support the program though.

With regards to this, WM Capture is working better with Netflix than screencast at the moment, hence that recomendation. I used WM Capture a few nigths ago to record an episode of 'the office' from season 1 and it worked beautifully

Check it out here: www.wmrecorder.com/download.php

LVWolfman
07-31-2008, 06:15 PM
Just an update...

I just followed the instructions by uninstalling Replay Media Catcher 2.3 and installing 3.00 beta.

RMC no longer intercepts Netflix streams.

Cheryl Wester
08-02-2008, 09:14 PM
It will record them, but if I'm not mistaken you are only able to watch it for a short period of time and then it won't work. They test for the license each time. That is also why you are probably not able to convert-I have also tested the conversion with our latest beta. If you are able to do differently let us know. Thanks.