PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I disable new version checks?

Phreaker47
11-30-2009, 06:05 PM
I'm still using an older version (8.41) and really don't need to upgrade at this time for what I'm using it for. However, when my shows record overnight and convert to MP3, replay converter is halted with "there is a new version available".

Why can't this check be disabled? This is a normal option for most software. It interrupts the whole conversion process.

Is there some workaround? I know there's a way to set local computer policy to deny programs access to certain URLs... I guess I'll have to figure out how to do that.

Phreaker47
12-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Well I came up with a solution for anyone that wants it. Unfortunately it involves blocking access to applian.com entirely from the computer running ReplayAV (I'm posting this from a different computer), but it works and doesn't require additional software installation.

I did this in Windows XP Pro SP3. Go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Local Security Settings.
Right click "IP Security Policies on Local Computer" and choose "Manage IP Filter lists". Choose to add a new entry. The rest is fairly self-explanatory. Give it a name like "applian.com blocker". Choose add, then leave everything default except for "destination address" choose "specific DNS name" then enter "applian.com" (without quotes.) Click 'yes' on the next screen that talks about the IP address detected. Choose TCP on the next screen, and "any port/any port" on the next. You're done.

Your computer will not be able to visit Applian.com at all now, so be advised if you care about that. It will prevent Replay AV and Replay Converter from completing its version check, however, so it won't get stalled by a prompt. The apps will take a bit longer to launch as they attempt and fail to do this check.

Of course it would be better if a specific port were used on the version check, then that one port could be blocked instead of the entire IP address. But the requests come from dynamic ports so that can't be done.

carlobee
12-03-2009, 08:58 PM
most of the time newer versions are better since they provide fixes to bugs and a lot more. :)

http://storeyourpicture.com/images/signature_videoStreaming.jpg

DADEO
12-06-2009, 09:22 AM
Any more/other fixes for this? I have better results with an older version and this is a pain. Phreaker47, thank you for the help, this might be the only way to stop this annoyance.

Cheryl Wester
12-06-2009, 11:55 AM
What version are you using. We have set this up so you should only be informed about a new version about every 21 logins. We do have this setup as a lot of people want to know about the new versions and don't use the program on a daily basis.

DADEO
12-07-2009, 09:41 AM
I went back to 8.72 so I can still get the Sirius page with all the channels listed.

Phreaker47
12-17-2009, 02:10 PM
What version are you using. We have set this up so you should only be informed about a new version about every 21 logins. We do have this setup as a lot of people want to know about the new versions and don't use the program on a daily basis.

I record a show every day that creates 12 or 13 MP3 files. Since they are converted to MP3, that means Replay Converter launches 12 or 13 times every day. It really really would be much better if Replay AV just gave us the option to turn off the update checks.