PDA

View Full Version : Replay A/V 8.43 broken by update message!

RussInSD
11-19-2009, 09:03 AM
I have a copy of Replay A/V 8.43. I have periodically tried upgrading, and then ended up reverting to 8.43 after encountering reliability issues.

Starting yesterday (11/18/09), I find that the version of Replay Converter that RAV 8.43 uses is being brought to a halt with an update message -- even during the background conversions commanded by Replay A/V. Anybody else seeing this"?

jj456
11-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Same thing is happening to me. I figured I'd download the upgrade to get rid of the nags not realizing the upgrade would cost me $9.95. Then I tried to go back to 8.43 and it acts like it's downloading it but it's still saying I have the new version in demo mode only. I just wrote tech support to get some help.

RussInSD
11-20-2009, 08:27 PM
Good luck with that. Applian apparently just refers these requests to "the developer", who is not terribly responsive to these sorts of things.

And the sad part is that this is NOT a developer issue, unless they let their software developer also run their server database. What actually happens is that when the product starts up, it contacts an Applian server to ask whether it needs to prompt about an update. Somewhere along the way, some cluefully challenged person modified the database a few days ago to turn on this update message for the version of Replay Converter that was bundled with RAV 8.43.

This should be an extreme embarrassment to Applian. It should also be fixable with about 5 minutes time from a less-cluefully-challenged person.

I know. I've been a developer on the other side of a server, driving the same sorts of products. And in the years I've dealt with Applian, I've learned not to expect much in the way of technical knowledge or product quality from these folks. It's very sad.

RussInSD
11-21-2009, 12:58 PM
Okay, here's the chewing-gum-and-baling-wire solution to Applian's ongoing failure to fix this problem properly:

Go download AutoHotKey (http://www.autohotkey.com/) from http://www.autohotkey.com/ and install it. You can then install this auto-run script I wrote: AutoHotkey.ahk (http://bbuzz.net/ApplianIsPathetic/AutoHotkey.ahk). It runs once per minute, automatically finding and closing the update and "already running" dialogs.

mstexas
11-21-2009, 01:02 PM
I am also tired of the nag screen keeping my overnight conversion from completing. I have to sit for an hour or more in the morning clicking yes and no on the nag screens to get through all the 30 minute segments that did not convert. I upgraded the converter to the new 3.6 but that did not help. I paid $9.95 for an upgarde on A/V but have not had the guts to try and installit yet because the last time I had to go backwards to get things to work again. Damn I love this product but hate the nag screens! I would pay a yearly fee of $25 to get rid of the nag screens!

Cheryl Wester
11-21-2009, 04:35 PM
We have contacted the developer regarding this and I hope to have a resolution for you in the near future. We are a small company and the people that work for Applian have many hats. Thanks for understanding.

mstexas
11-21-2009, 06:53 PM
I understand and I am greatful for you looking into the matter. I can say that I love this product and don't mind spending a little money on a yearly basis but tell the developer to give us a way to get rid of the nag screen after a couple of times.

Cheers!
:D

ktoutdoor
11-21-2009, 09:25 PM
RussInSD YOU THE MAN I downloaded your www.autohotkey.com and your script and it works great!!! Thanks for posting this work a round.:)

RussInSD
11-21-2009, 11:53 PM
I'm glad to help, but sad to have to...

myersph
11-22-2009, 02:06 AM
I am way out of my depth on this so please be gentle with me. Could you not "Leave As Is" then use converter to convert later - at least for the time being?
I have 8.71, am I safe from this?

RussInSD
11-22-2009, 09:39 AM
I am way out of my depth on this so please be gentle with me. Could you not "Leave As Is" then use converter to convert later - at least for the time being?

No, not really. I need it to automatically perform the scheduled recordings and conversions without any user intervention. That was the entire point of purchasing and installing the product. If I manually have to do the conversion, the product is utterly useless to me.

I have 8.71, am I safe from this?
If you're experiencing the problem, then no. If you're not, then yes.

mstexas
11-23-2009, 09:44 PM
I went ahead and installed the update Sunday and the NAG screen is gone. I also found that the converter does not even open up on the screen during each conversion making it nice to be able to work on the computer without that thing popping in and out during conversions.

BUT...and this is a HUGE BUTTTTTT for me... see my new thread titled:
"Converter/Burner renaming retarded!"

I was really happy until I tried to burn a few radio programs to cd. Arrgh! :eek:

RussInSD
11-23-2009, 10:45 PM
The proper backgrounding of Converter was implemented around a year ago, I think. I had other reliability problems with Replay AV updates more recent than 8.43 (which I have paid for and then discarded). The problems were not with Converter. They were with RAV itself.