PDA

View Full Version : Replay AV in Windows 7

dr3d
10-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Replay A/V might run fine on Windows 7. But you will get this warning if you try to select "Start Program when Windows starts":

Note: "Start Program when Windows starts" may not work on Vista and Windows 7 if UAC (User Account Control) is enabled.

I don't especially want or need to turn UAC completely off, and I am not sure I understand why Replay A/V needs to run as Administrator in the first place. I have regularly scheduled programs that need to be recorded even across reboots, and I am not always around or able to remember to fire up RAV, so this limitation is somewhat frustrating...

Cheryl Wester
10-27-2009, 09:07 AM
This is due to the way audio is captured and at this time there is not a workaround for this. I know, personally, I have my User Account Control turned off and have since Vista first came out.

carlobee
10-27-2009, 06:51 PM
thanks for this heads up. i'll be using Windows starting next week i guess :)

http://storeyourpicture.com/images/signature_videoStreaming.jpg

stream-recorder.com
10-28-2009, 11:14 AM
thanks for this heads up. i'll be using Windows starting next week i guess :)
I wouldn't update to Windows 7. The only way I could get Windows 7 is with a new computer (unless I can get it with Linux).

carlobee
10-28-2009, 07:07 PM
I wouldn't update to Windows 7. The only way I could get Windows 7 is with a new computer (unless I can get it with Linux).

Yes. I was planning on having a new computer too. :) Just for a new start of everything because I heard it's quite time consuming and even complicated to update a Vista machine to Windows 7.

http://storeyourpicture.com/images/signature_videoStreaming.jpg

dr3d
10-28-2009, 08:53 PM
This is due to the way audio is captured and at this time there is not a workaround for this. I know, personally, I have my User Account Control turned off and have since Vista first came out.
I think writing log files to the program's install directory might be an issue also - not supposed to do that any more...

awatkins
11-07-2009, 06:23 PM
This is due to the way audio is captured and at this time there is not a workaround for this.

Cheryl -- Could you expand on this a little? What exactly is it that RAV is doing that prevents it from starting automatically in Win 7 with UAC active?

Cheryl Wester
11-08-2009, 07:59 AM
I don't know the technical aspects-it won't start with UAC on as your system will then ask for permission to open the file. Without the permission your program won't open and thus it won't start when windows starts. This applies to both Vista and Windows 7 with our latest version. The latest version does work with the UAC on except for this aspect of starting when windows starts.

bblackmoor
11-09-2009, 12:59 PM
I am using Replay AV on Windows 7 64-bit. The only way I could get Replay AV to start at startup was to add a scheduled task to do it.

Start by opening Task Scheduler (under Admin tools on your start menu)
Then Create task (using basic task did not work)

Name it whatever you like - I used Replay AV
Description - Whatever you like
Then select Run Only when user is logged on
Then click run with highest privileges
I then clicked on the drop down box and selected configure for windows 7/server 2008R2. If you are using Windows Vista, select "Windows Vista"

Then move to the triggers tab

Click new
Begin the task at Logon
Click Any user
I did not select any other check boxes, but I did have to unselect (stop task if running for longer than ....)

Move to the actions tab

Click new
Select start a program
Then click browse in the program/script section and find your ReplayAV application file

Then move to the conditions tab

Uncheck everything in this section.

Move to settings tab. In this section have selected:

Allow task to be run on demand
Run task as soon as possible if schedule missed
If task fails restart every minute
Attempt to restart 3 times
Everything else remains unticked.
Last of all in the drop down box for If the task is already running select Do Not Start another instance.

Then click OK and you have completed your auto startup sequence.
Reboot your machine and when windows logs back on you will be happy to see Replay AV pop up. This is not a permanent fix, but at least now we can start Replay AV automatically and we don't have to wait for a future version to be released.

awatkins
11-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Thanks very much for the solution. It was very kind of you to write it up in detail.

Cheryl Wester
11-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Thank you for your solution. It is appreciated by many.

coghlan
11-12-2009, 08:33 AM
I am using Replay AV on Windows 7 64-bit. The only way I could get Replay AV to start at startup was to add a scheduled task to do it.
I can get it to start automatically (shortcut in my \Startup folder), but it can't record shows or create log files.

I wonder if I just changed the properties on the shortcut to set Run As Administrator, if this would have the same effect as setting it up as a scheduled task.

Is it safe to say that, with UAC enabled, tasks don't run with the full privileges of the user by default? I didn't have a problem with Vista, but maybe I had UAC disabled. Don't remember.

NCguy
01-22-2010, 11:04 AM
BBlackmoor:

Thanks for the tip. I'm using W7 and the task seems to work most of the time. I've had a few instances where the task wont minimize to the taskbar properly after startup. I put a 5 second delay in the task start parameter and so far that seems to be working. I suspect that the task fires sometimes before the UI in explorer is 100% ready to accept it.

Have you find a way to get Replay AV to launch minimized from the task startup? For me its always maximized.

Also, if your machine sleeps I've found it helpful to create a few wake up tasks in task manager just prior to your replay program startups.

ronzie009
01-25-2010, 05:26 PM
BBlackmoor:

Thanks for the tip. I'm using W7 and the task seems to work most of the time. I've had a few instances where the task wont minimize to the taskbar properly after startup. I put a 5 second delay in the task start parameter and so far that seems to be working. I suspect that the task fires sometimes before the UI in explorer is 100% ready to accept it.

Have you find a way to get Replay AV to launch minimized from the task startup? For me its always maximized.

Also, if your machine sleeps I've found it helpful to create a few wake up tasks in task manager just prior to your replay program startups.
Edit the actions tab for the scheduled task, and add "-quiet" in the box next to where it says "Add arguments(optional):".

NCguy
01-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Edit the actions tab for the scheduled task, and add "-quiet" in the box next to where it says "Add arguments(optional):".

Thanks Ronzie009, works like a champ. As far as I'm concerned this is now a complete workaround to the problem.