PDA

View Full Version : Converting Hulu 480p FLVs??

kurganxy
08-01-2008, 10:42 AM
Does anyone know a way to convert the Hulu 480p FLV videos? Ive tried everything i can think of including the applian converter and nothing. It seems to be in some new format or something, as i can convert the 360p FLVs just fine, but the 480p will only play on the applian flv player and nothing else. Any ideas?

Im trying to get as the world turns BTW. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Andy Heinlein
08-01-2008, 01:11 PM
I will take a look at this... thanks for the heads up

-andy.

cain
08-01-2008, 01:43 PM
I will take a look at this...

Thank you, Andy.

Consider this a bump to the priority - I'd love to be able to send my 87 year old grandpa some of the shows he likes to watch that are higher quality (480p.)

Don't let grandpa down... hehhehehe

:)

zanefan
08-01-2008, 11:40 PM
Thank God someone else asked this question. I've been scouring the web all week trying to find something that works. I have tried about 15 different video conversion programs and nothing works. It plays just fine in Applian's FLV player, but won't play on any of my other players, so that leads me to believe the other players aren't registering the codec Applian is using.

Eager to see what you guys come up with!

Mike Christensen
08-02-2008, 12:44 AM
Please try out latest beta version of Replay Converter to convert the FLV file. You can try out this version from here: http://applian.com/replay-converter/demo.php

Let us know the results.

Best regards,

rhmark
08-02-2008, 06:33 AM
When trying to convert a High-res Hulu video with Replay Converter beta linked above, the video output I received was a ten second movie. A black screen with a static red-letter message:

"Direct Show Source: Could not open as video or audio No combination of filters could be found to render the stream"
"Video returned:" filename "No combination of filters could be found to render the stream"
"Audio returned:" filename "No combination of filters could be found to render the stream"

(%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application data\something.avs)

This was for June 24 Daily Show saved with Replay Media Catcher 3.0beta. The FLV seems valid and plays all the way through with RCAT 3.0beta's included FLV player.
I'll try on some other Hulu 480p FLV's downloaded with other tools if I get the chance. RCAT registartion br0ke so am hunting other downloaders.

zanefan
08-02-2008, 05:35 PM
I have the same problem, it says DirectShow cannot open the file, therefore the item cannot be converted.

According to the Applian FLV Player, the audio codec is MP4A AAC, and the video codec is avc1/H264.

Don't know if that helps...

Andy Heinlein
08-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Zanefan... Could you give me the URL you are trying to record from?

thanks...
-andy.

zanefan
08-02-2008, 06:28 PM
Andy,

Go to http://www.hulu.com/another-world

Click on any of the episodes and, after the episode starts playing, click the "show 480p" link on the right hand side of the screen.

The catcher should show two files downloading; one a standard flash, the other an H264 flash (the higher quality item.)

The standard flash file can be converted fine, but the problems we are having are with the higher quality files.

The file name should look something like this:

HuluTranscode_30060_H_264_1Mbps_4x3_29_97__lRVqttI 6+U+MwKfJm5p6Yw.flv_D33AC870.flv

Andy Heinlein
08-02-2008, 06:31 PM
wonderful.. thank you for the detailed directions. I was about to say "i get it in the old format just fine"

I will check this out...

-andy.

kurganxy
08-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Im glad im not the only one having this issue. Thought it was just me being an idiot there for a while hehe.

rjames
08-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Yep, same issue here. I've noticed that the 480 versions don't seem to be much larger than the standard res flvs. It's almost as if the high res flvs aren't the entire video, just the extra data needed to make it high-res. (This coming from somebody who knows nothing about encoding flv files).
Using Super C to convert, the file errors out.
Using Moyea FLV to Video pro, I receive the error "height or width = 0"
I'm going to try to download and use applian's converter soon.

Cheryl Wester
08-04-2008, 10:01 PM
At the present time our program can't convert the hi res from Hulu. Our developer is aware of this issue and is looking into it. At the present time it is a new type of file and that is where the issue is. As has been noted other converters are not able to convert this either due to the new file format.

zanefan
08-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Rats, I was really hoping someone there might hold the key to solving this mystery! Oh well, if anyone else comes up with anything in the meantime, please post your findings here!

kurganxy
08-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Well, its not exactly a solution, but i have found another player that will play the files. Its called FLV Player (http://www.flvsoft.com/flv_player/) froma company called Moyea. The only reason i mention this is because the videos seem to play much more smoothly on this player than the applian player. Also, they make a converter, but for some reason when i try to use it, i get a strange error saying that the "Width or Height is 0". I sent them an email but i havent gotten a response as of yet. Its nice that the converter actually recognizes the files as being FLVs, and if it were not for this error, it might do the trick. I havent tried any other Hulu videos, only the ATWT episodes i have, so you might want to give it a try if you have other videos from hulu other than these.

applnfrmguy
08-05-2008, 03:50 PM
FLV Player from a company called Moyea . . . Also, they make a converter, but for some reason when i try to use it, i get a strange error saying that the "Width or Height is 0".
Me too. Moyea converter works on standard Hulu. Later they will release a new converter on 8 August. Give it a try. You post this question about Hulu AWT everywhere. You must be one big fan.

You have a correct answer in the thread who said some software and Matroska to set the framerate. You said you could not find the software version. You question the torrents maker. That thread. If you look for that software as much as you post this question you would have converted many files by today. :)

Andy Heinlein
08-05-2008, 07:36 PM
There are some audio/video synchronization issues with the 480p FLVs as well.. it's Media Catcher's fault, but I think I have a work-around to get them syncing better.

If you have the new beta of Media Catcher (released today -- 8/5), it will automatically update the plug-ins which are geared to downloading these files.. so you will get the fix as soon as it's posted.

-andy.

chopper
08-24-2008, 11:47 AM
Support,

This utility seems to clear up the problem if you use the /k (keep keyframes). You can process entire folders with it using the friendly gui interface. This fixes the progress bar issue, but the time is artificially longer than it really should be.

Questions... let me know.

http://www.buraks.com/flvmdi/

zanefan
08-30-2008, 07:48 PM
I have no idea what any of that means, but I hope it helps make the Applian converter work on these files.

chopper
09-01-2008, 06:25 PM
This utility can be used:cool: on the file that the current version of media catcher creates. aka.... hulu - addams family.flv.

You can download several of these files in to the same directory and then choose an output directory (be sure to download the GUI interface as well as the other EXE). The utility will let you fix the issues where:

If you try to play this file in EITHER Adobe Media Player or RealPlayer it will not be seekable to the end and in Real will end prematurely.

This utility will fix the problem with the files because it fixes the METADATA information contained in the header for these files and they will remain seekable provided you use the /K (keep Keyframes option). Hope this helps... I scoured the internet to try to figure a way to fix these 480p download files so they are playable (unfortunately, they are still not convertable), but they look GREAT and play without problems if you have the CPU (2.0 ghz or better - dual preferred and a GOOD ATI card)...

I would STRONGLY suggest using Adobe Media player or Real Player Ver 11 to play these files as it does a very nice job (FLV Player is choppy on the tests I ran on it using the same Machine).

NOTE: SUPER can also play SOME of these files (but not all of them as some have A/V sync issues).

chopper
09-01-2008, 06:31 PM
The Only option you need to check when you run this utility is the Keep KeyFrames option... none of the others are needed to properly fix the files. Try downloading a 480p and running the utility against it and you will see the difference in any player because it will now be SEEKABLE throughout the entire video.

When the file is first created by RMC the progress bar will actually proceed past end of the progress area in the player (also does this in ADOBE media player).

Questions... let me know.:cool::p;):rolleyes:

Toochbag
09-08-2008, 11:14 PM
I don't claim to be any type of expert related to things like this... but I used to own ********'s AAC->MP3 converter.

Still having their link, I downloaded the demo of their current FLV Video conversion s/w. It seemed to convert the first 5 minutes without incident... Only the first 5 minutes since that's their restriction for the unregistered product. The 5-minute file seemed to play fine on Windows Media Player.

Here is the link: http://www.********.com/flv-converter.html

zanefan
09-11-2008, 05:20 PM
I actually have ******** Video Converter and it IS converting the video, but it's warping the audio significantly. (It's dragging.) Still this is more progress than we've had, so that's good to know. Thanks for the suggestion!

tiredofspam
09-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Any progress on this? I just purchased the whole suite so I could download videos for a trip that I'm taking next week. I wanted to convert them to play on my Archos 704 (which won't play Flash videos).

I downloaded three seasons worth of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" in 480p and THEN I discovered that Replay Converter won't.

Bill Dettering
09-20-2008, 03:06 PM
Another option is to record these videos with WM Capture, which is a high-quality screen capture program, and then use Replay Converter to convert or burn these files.

If you go this route, try recording as MPEG-2 files, as you'll get super high quality this way. WM Capture includes special high-quality codecs just for this reason.

You can try WM Capture from here:
http://www.wmrecorder.com

rjames
09-22-2008, 05:43 PM
There are some audio/video synchronization issues with the 480p FLVs as well.. it's Media Catcher's fault, but I think I have a work-around to get them syncing better.

If you have the new beta of Media Catcher (released today -- 8/5), it will automatically update the plug-ins which are geared to downloading these files.. so you will get the fix as soon as it's posted.

-andy.

Just paid to upgrade today to Replay v3.01 and the issue is still not resolved. Tried to download the 480p version of the new Chuck episode (http://www.hulu.com/watch/35491/chuck-sneak-peek-chuck-versus-the-first-date#x-0,vepisode,1): Same thing, when you click on 480p it starts recording a new flv. The "high-res" flv is only 30 to 50 mb larger than the std res version. It plays in the applian flv player, but no converter will recognize the file. I'll check out wmcapture, I don't necessarily want to drop another $40 on a different program to do what I purchased media catcher do to.

Mike Christensen
09-23-2008, 02:12 AM
Just paid to upgrade today to Replay v3.01 and the issue is still not resolved. Tried to download the 480p version of the new Chuck episode (http://www.hulu.com/watch/35491/chuck-sneak-peek-chuck-versus-the-first-date#x-0,vepisode,1): Same thing, when you click on 480p it starts recording a new flv. The "high-res" flv is only 30 to 50 mb larger than the std res version. It plays in the applian flv player, but no converter will recognize the file. I'll check out wmcapture, I don't necessarily want to drop another $40 on a different program to do what I purchased media catcher do to.

Just to let you know, we are getting closer to resolving this issue regarding Replay Converter converting high definition Hulu videos created by Media Catcher. We will keep your posted.

Best regards,

tiredofspam
09-23-2008, 03:50 PM
That would be great! I really like the way media catcher downloads multiple streams simultaneously and directly...hate to give that up to capture a window in real-time...

rfryar
09-27-2008, 05:07 PM
I think I have found a solution. It took me some time messing with audio/video codecs and settings but here is what I have found acceptable.

Using a free tool called MediaCoder (Do a google search) you can convert the High Res FLVs into other formats. The initial difficulty I had was getting the audio to stay in synch. Now I have gotten at least a 30 second clip to be converted in MPEG 2 and the audio stays in synch. I am in the middle of testing a full 45 minute show to ensure it stays in synch.

Here is the basic settings..

Video: MPEG2, MPEG2 container. Fixed bitrate 2048.
Audio: MP2 via FFMEG at a 128 bitrate
Under picture ensure you uncheck the framerate to use the original wacky framerate.

In my first test I restricted the conversion to the first 30 seconds and the audio stayed in synch. I will reply to this with my complete test.

Rick

rfryar
09-27-2008, 05:18 PM
Success! My 45 minutes Terminator: Sarah Conners, HD TV episode worked fine!

Let me know if anyone else gets this to work. I am off to try a few other shows.

Rick

kurganxy
09-30-2008, 04:30 PM
Unfortunately it doesnt seem to work with the As The World Turns 480p's :(

MatthewC1000
09-30-2008, 05:02 PM
Unfortunately it doesnt seem to work with the As The World Turns 480p's :(
Well, there is an app that can convert High def video files..not sure if Im allowed to mention but, its called Tubehunter Media Center, in order to retain the 420p resolution you must convert the file to mpeg. :)

helloandwahtever
10-01-2008, 12:19 AM
@kurganxy (just cause I've seen you in and around forums and not to be picky)
The only method of which I am aware that works is direct stream copying the contents into another container and re synching the audio and video as it is multiplexed. That's the Matroska solution you've seen.

I am aware of Tubehunter, and Mencoder, and FFMPEG, and VirtualDub(Mod) and a handfull of other suggestions. I've done them all or tried to in one way or another. It's a battle because no two transcoding operations go the same way twice in a row.

Now there may be some good reasons for stream copying the contents into another container. Personally if I want to watch the existing H.264 and AAC streams (instead of copying them untouched to another container and then watching) I'll just use one of the many FLVPlayers including of course Applian's.

IMHO there is nothing earth shattering at present to gain from converting the Hi-res streams. They don't look that much better once they are converted. It's "Hi-res" streaming media. No one can even define what that means AFAIK.

It's not High Definition because I think I saw somewhere around here that the best we get from hulu at present is 404p and not 480p. With the exception of the small Hulu HD Gallery of course.

Because of the lossiness that occurs when transcoding to a new format, combined with the original information lost during creation from film/video/tape/kinescope to H.264 and AAC way back in the beginning, there just aren't enough quality bits of difference between the low-res vs. high-res Hulu versions to make a PQ difference worth worrying about. This is especially true if transcoding for a 3" x 4" screen or transcoding to watch on a 32 inch monitor at full screen.

High-res still looks nicer when played originally in a web page or from an FLV player. But chomping on the bits (without a suitable splitter for this new Hi-res FLV container) just doesn't yield picture quality worth the time, hassle, CPU cycles, or effort IMHO.

FWIW, I do the Std-res Hulu files with On2's splitter and directshow filter using Avisynth => wahtever. That's because I already had those and some small skill using them. Without that I'd be looking to buy one of the many other solutions including Replay Converter.

rfryar
10-01-2008, 04:45 PM
The settings I mentioned work with every hulu flv file I have used. The audio stays in synch through the entire transocded stream.

The main reason for me to transcode is so I can place them on my media PC and send them to my TiVos. They require either a true MP4 h.264 or a MPG2 file. So I transcode them to MPG2 and then I am able to watch them on basically any TV in my house. Much better than in front of the PC.

But everybody has different uses and this works for me. Granted I do not use many videos from Hulu just the ones I missed or older TV shows but it works in a pinch.

Rick

gai-jin
10-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Just a quick note here to say I'm also looking for a solution to this, but since I've just paid for the applian suite, I'm willing to wait for an update here to solve it, rather than buying another product.

rjames
10-05-2008, 10:46 PM
I think I have found a solution. It took me some time messing with audio/video codecs and settings but here is what I have found acceptable.

Using a free tool called MediaCoder (Do a google search) you can convert the High Res FLVs into other formats. The initial difficulty I had was getting the audio to stay in synch. Now I have gotten at least a 30 second clip to be converted in MPEG 2 and the audio stays in synch. I am in the middle of testing a full 45 minute show to ensure it stays in synch.

Here is the basic settings..

Video: MPEG2, MPEG2 container. Fixed bitrate 2048.
Audio: MP2 via FFMEG at a 128 bitrate
Under picture ensure you uncheck the framerate to use the original wacky framerate.

In my first test I restricted the conversion to the first 30 seconds and the audio stayed in synch. I will reply to this with my complete test.

Rick

Thanks for the tip...but no dice with the hi-res hulu files. The lo-res worked just fine with the settings you suggested (I'm outputting for my Tivo as well).

How are you getting your high res files? Are you starting the movie, then clicking the "watch high res" icon? Are you then converting the second of the two files that replay media catcher downloads? Or are you just downloading the standard res file?

If you're willing to try, I'd like to see if you could convert the 480 version of this show: Daily Show, Sept. 30 (http://www.hulu.com/watch/37149/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-tue-sep-30-2008#s-p1-so-i0) I'm really interested to see if you can get the high res to convert with your settings...When I try the audio is out of sync and the entire show (both video and audio) is not present.

Thanks, RJ

rfryar
10-07-2008, 01:39 PM
If you're willing to try, I'd like to see if you could convert the 480 version of this show: Daily Show, Sept. 30 (http://www.hulu.com/watch/37149/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-tue-sep-30-2008#s-p1-so-i0) I'm really interested to see if you can get the high res to convert with your settings...When I try the audio is out of sync and the entire show (both video and audio) is not present.
Thanks, RJ

Worked fine with one exception I will explain below. So I did the initial pull from Hulu getting the HD stream via Media Catcher 2.1.0. (It was about 156 Megs big).

I pulled up Media Coder 0.6.1.4193 and loaded the FLV into it. My previous settings are saved. I performed the conversion. I got a MPG with no audio synch issues but my problem is media coder seems to abort after 13 minutes and 12 seconds.

So my current workaround is to use the time tab and just covert in 13 minute chunks then piece them together. So the resulting MPG works fine but the total time gets shown incorrectly in all tools. I probably need to run the pieced together MPG through some MPG clean up tool or combine them in a different way than just copy /b. :)

Here are some screenshots of my config screens:
http://fryar.org/auction/1.gif
http://fryar.org/auction/2.gif
http://fryar.org/auction/3.gif

rjames
10-08-2008, 06:16 PM
So my current workaround is to use the time tab and just covert in 13 minute chunks then piece them together. So the resulting MPG works fine but the total time gets shown incorrectly in all tools. I probably need to run the pieced together MPG through some MPG clean up tool or combine them in a different way than just copy /b. :)

Thanks for the reply...I tried using all the settings you had, but when I set it to recode the first 13 minutes, it only spits out 11:56, and when I recode the second half (13:00 - 21:39) it gives me the full 7:39, but it cuts out the last 4 or so minutes of the show...at least the audio synch is corrected. Getting closer!

If you find a way to convert the whole thing without these screwy side effects, let me know!

intel352
10-17-2008, 10:03 AM
rfryar, I just tried your settings (except 13 min timetable), set the entire file to convert, wound up with 13:12, but the audio was in sync.

The only thing that bugs me is the video seems to have an almost imperceptible stutter.

Has anyone been able to find a solution using MediaCoder to transcode Hulu 480p movies?

I've found 2 other applications that were able to convert, but audio lost sync horribly. I'd rather avoid having to deal with 13 min chunks, so I'm hoping someone else can find a solution.

Cheers

tiredofspam
10-17-2008, 09:17 PM
seems to work. I downloaded an eval copy and was able to convert (perfectly) three minutes of 480p video (the limit on the eval copy) captured by Replay Media Catcher. (The quality is excellent and the audio is in sync with the video.)

Note that Hulu 480p is actually some kind of h.264 - it isn't a true flv.

VC for Any FLV Player recognizes the 480p files as h.264 and will convert them to various formats (I tried mpeg2).

You can get it from here: http://www.any-flv-player.com/ but it costs $50 to buy the full working version (which I'm not going to do).

So Applian - here's your hint on what to do and/or how to do it. Please figure this out as I've already purchased the full suite (as I stated in a earlier post).

flvrecor3r
10-24-2008, 01:10 AM
I'm having good luck converting these "Hi-res" Hulu files like Head Over Heels (http://www.hulu.com/hd/40528) using FFmpeg-svn-15618 (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=205275&package_id=248632) and MP4Box (http://kurtnoise.free.fr/mp4tools/MP4Box-0.4.4.zip) and MKVtoolnix (http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/win32/mkvtoolnix-unicode-2.4.0-setup.exe). Essentially this works by rewriting the Hi-res FLV files saved by Replay Media Catcher into AVC H.264 / AAC files compatible with most converter programs. Some media players won't even need to convert the resulting file.

Copy FLV video and audio streams to an MPEG-4 file

ffmpeg -i "HEAD_OVER_HEELS.flv" -vcodec copy -acodec copy "HEAD_OVER_HEELSOUTPUT.mp4"

Extract MPEG-4 AVC-H264 video stream to a file

mp4box.exe -raw 1 "HEAD_OVER_HEELSOUTPUT.mp4"

Extract MPEG-4 AAC audio stream to a file

mp4box.exe -raw 2 "HEAD_OVER_HEELSOUTPUT.mp4"

Re-combine video and audio streams to an MPEG-4 file. You'll need to note the fps value for the "Hi-res" FLVs. Sometimes it's hinted in the filename where 24 == 23.976 and 30 == 29.970. If audio is out of synch try the other value.

mp4box.exe -add "HEAD_OVER_HEELSOUTPUT_track1.h264:fps=29.970" -add "HEAD_OVER_HEELSOUTPUT_track2.aac" "HEAD_OVER_HEELS_FHF.mp4"

OR

Combine video and audio streams to a Matroska file using MKVtoolnix

"C:\Program Files\MKVtoolnix\mkvmerge.exe" --output-charset UTF-8 -o "HEAD_OVER_HEELS.MKV" --display-dimensions 0:720x400 --default-duration 0:30000/1001fps -d 0 -A -S "HEAD_OVER_HEELSOUTPUT_track1.h264" -a 0 -D -S "HEAD_OVER_HEELSOUTPUT_track2.aac" --track-order 0:0,1:0

If needed, then open HEAD_OVER_HEELS_FHF.mp4, or HEAD_OVER_HEELS.MKV, in your favorite converter program to convert to desired format. Up to this point the files have been re-multiplexed virtually losslessly (from the original FLV). You may need Haali Media Splitter (http://haali.cs.msu.ru/mkv/MatroskaSplitter.exe) and an H.264 decoder (http://labs.divx.com/ProjectRemoulade) (free if you sign up for the beta) to view the HEAD_OVER_HEELS.MKV file. Some tips here (http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtechbeta/) on using these utilities with Adobe Premiere. I don't know much about Adobe Premiere but somebody mentioned it I think. HTH

Tvo
10-26-2008, 07:22 AM
Has anyone downloaded a 480p video which was only viewable in WS on the Hulu site but not on your own computer? I'm stumped as to how I'm going to convert this with the aspect ratio messed up.

Cheryl Wester
10-26-2008, 02:48 PM
We are currently testing a version of the converter that is working with this. If all of our testing comes out nicely we hope to have an update in the near future.

intel352
11-02-2008, 04:40 AM
any luck with the testing?

tiredofspam
11-06-2008, 09:54 AM
I've been stockpiling 480p's for conversion (rather than the lower res stuff)...waiting for this fix.

Can I get a copy of the beta that you're testing? I'll be happy to do some testing of my own.

Thanks.

slvrlegnd
11-06-2008, 11:20 AM
I downloaded last night's Life in "480p" and the video codec is no longer avc1 h264. It appears they're using a yuv420p h264 codec now (720x400). This codec doesn't choke converters the way avc1 did, but it still runs us into the 13min conversion crash and audio sync issues we were seeing earlier.
I guess this is the real problem with FLVs is that nobody has settled on a standard yet, and things are always changing overnight. So, Applian, you guys have your work cut out for you on this one. Even if you do solve the avc1 issues, Hulu's throwing another curve-ball.

tiredofspam
11-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Does Hulu encode videos "on the fly"? Looks like Slvrlgnd is on to something.

I downloaded an episode of the Rockford Files in 480p and converted it using Media Converter. This time, it converted fine. I didn't experience the sync issue that Slvrlgnd mentioned but Windows Media Player (i converted the file to high quality DVD .mpg which wound up being almost four times the size of the original) said that it was only 14 minutes long. However, I fast-forwarded to the end and the entire program (about 50 minutes) was there. Playing the same file through Nero Showtime yielded the correct program length.

I'm going to try a few more but I'm wondering if I'm going to have to redownload all of the 480p movies and programs in order to convert them. (I'll go back and download one that I downloaded a few weeks ago to see what the differences are, if any.)

Looks like Hulu and the others are moving targets and it will be difficult to create a usable library.

tiredofspam
11-06-2008, 02:14 PM
The file that I converted must have been 360 rather than 480 (even though I specified 480p!).

Totally confused now!

slvrlegnd
11-06-2008, 04:48 PM
@tiredofspam:
Hulu doesn't go back and re-encode their shows when they move on to another codec, so re-downloading won't help if a new one actually converts properly. Once a show is on the site it's in whatever format they made it (i.e. avc1 shows will remain in avc1, and new shows will probably be yuv420p).
It just seems that they're simply still rolling out and testing their high-res videos. Since downloading and converting shows isn't Hulu's goal it doesn't matter to them if they jump all over the map (as long as it appears the same or better to Hulu's in-browser viewers). This might also be Hulu's way of sticking it to folks like us that want our content on our TVs instead of our computers...
That's why this will be a tough one for Applian, because they'll have to fix the avc1 issue for all the older shows, and adapt to any new codecs Hulu decides to switch to. Since it could be just a matter of weeks or months before Hulu changes again we might be looking at an unending loop of conversion working now then not working tomorrow.

slvrlegnd
11-06-2008, 05:18 PM
The file that I converted must have been 360 rather than 480 (even though I specified 480p!).

Totally confused now!

When you click the 480p button it reloads the higher-res vid. The two videos are named very different in Replay Media Catcher, but once the video is saved to the hard drive it automatically is renamed to match the title of the Hulu page. So, if you don't delete the standard-def video from RMC before the download is complete you end up with two files named exactly the same. The one that downloaded last is just appended with a (2) before the file extension.
Because the 480p file is sometimes larger or smaller than the standard-def file it's a bit of a toss-up as to which one will be the 480p file without making a filesize comparison between RMC and your file-folder... I had exactly this problem this morning. I converted a standard-def file thinking it was 480p, and I thought all was right in the world again until I saw the quality of the converted file. A quick check revealed what I'd done. As with all repetitive tasks we make mistakes sometimes ;)

cejacksoniii
11-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Is actually a problem with ffmpeg which is embedded in Mediacoder and also I think in Converter. When I run ffmpeg in command line I get the same problem. I think it is a conflict between the two codecs because you can run it audio-only or video-only and get an entire convert.

I've tried to file a bug report with ffmpeg but they want the entire 220mb output stopping at 13:12 and some other stuff. I finally gave up and told them their bug could just wait for someone with more patience and better technical skills than I have to report it.

I downloaded Replay Converter again earlier today and this time it appears to have converted a 420p episode of Lost in Space successfully (it did seem to take a lot more time than I would have expected, but that might be because it was also adding in the watermark...I hope, it took over an hour). I did notice that the audio has little gaps on a periodic basis that seems to be where the encoder is trying to sync back up. makes for annoying little half second cut-outs but it did stay in sync for the entire 58 min episode

cejacksoniii
11-06-2008, 08:06 PM
if you register with hulu you can set the hi def as your default and don't have to remember to click the extra button. When it is default you also don't have to worry about the extra stream being captured

tiredofspam
11-06-2008, 08:16 PM
There is another version of ffmpeg that is floating around - ffmpeg_h264 (or something like that). I posted earlier about another conversion program that uses it. It works but there is a sync problem.

There is another program that works perfectly with Hulu 480p (at least the demo does - again, see my earlier post) but it's $50 and I'm not willing to pop for another program when this one is already paid for (and apparently close to working).

Also, registering on Hulu allows you to set your default to 480p but if you forget to log in, the "guest" mode uses 360.

Thanks!

cejacksoniii
11-08-2008, 12:49 PM
I cracked the 420p hi-def AV-sync problem with mencoder!!! Wouldn't mind using replay converter but in the meantime this has now worked well with several it wasn't a problem with ffmpeg as I'd initially thought. and also found the problem with the 13:12 limit. email me if you need info.

slvrlegnd
11-08-2008, 04:24 PM
I cracked the 420p hi-def AV-sync problem with mencoder!!! Wouldn't mind using replay converter but in the meantime this has now worked well with several it wasn't a problem with ffmpeg as I'd initially thought. and also found the problem with the 13:12 limit. email me if you need info.

Sounds awesome!
Why not just post what you found right here? We're all sharing what we know, and it could even be helpful to the Applian team to find out what the silver-bullet is on this one.

cejacksoniii
11-08-2008, 10:49 PM
I don't mind posting. I was concerned that Applian might not care for it since mencoder is freeware and bites into their business.

The sync issue with mencoder is because there are many frames that appear to be dups and are getting skipped. when they get skipped it puts the video more and more out of synch with the audio. The fix is to make sure and use the "-vf harddup" video filter setting. The reason decodes have been stopping at 13:12 seems to have something to do with audio buffers overloading and causing mencoder to crap out. I managed to stop that by playing with the audio density settings. listed below is the mencoder CL I've been playing with today. For the most part the video quality is good; the sync is dead-on. It generates a file of around 1.5gb from the 371mb flv file. I'm sure it can tweak down but given the amount of time for a render with enough length to get a good feel for result I haven't been able to work much on that. Enjoy...

mencoder %1 -audio-density 4 -audio-preload .25 -noskip -mc 0 -af volume=12 -vf scale=720:480,harddup -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts acodec=ac3:vcodec=mpeg2video:vme=4:me_range=16:mbd =2:trell:precmp=2:subcmp=2:cmp=2:dia=-10:predia=-10:cbp:mv0:vqmin=1:lmin=1:dc=10:vstrict=0:vrc_buf_ size=1835:vrc_maxrate=7000:vbitrate=4000:threads=4 -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd:tsaf:interleaving2:vframerate=24000/1001 -o %1.mpg -quiet 1>log1.txt 2>log2.txt

PS..."-quiet" supresses the mencoder log. if you take that out it will generate a stdout log and an errout log which can be very helpful in diagnosing problems

tiredofspam
11-09-2008, 09:29 AM
out of the box but costs $50.

http://www.any-flv-player.com/buynow.php

C'mon Applian...please figure this out!

Thanks!

tiredofspam
11-09-2008, 09:34 AM
The program that I mentioned uses mencoder - at least it sits in the same directory as the rest of the program.

Looks like all of these converter programs are essentially just wrappers and GUI for mencoder and/or ffmpeg, anyway, so Replay Converter just needs to pass the correct command-line parameters to the core programs.

JMHO.

Ampdanny
11-09-2008, 10:25 AM
I don't mind posting. I was concerned that Applian might not care for it since mencoder is freeware and bites into their business.

The sync issue with mencoder is because there are many frames that appear to be dups and are getting skipped. when they get skipped it puts the video more and more out of synch with the audio. The fix is to make sure and use the "-vf harddup" video filter setting. The reason decodes have been stopping at 13:12 seems to have something to do with audio buffers overloading and causing mencoder to crap out. I managed to stop that by playing with the audio density settings. listed below is the mencoder CL I've been playing with today. For the most part the video quality is good; the sync is dead-on. It generates a file of around 1.5gb from the 371mb flv file. I'm sure it can tweak down but given the amount of time for a render with enough length to get a good feel for result I haven't been able to work much on that. Enjoy...

mencoder %1 -audio-density 4 -audio-preload .25 -noskip -mc 0 -af volume=12 -vf scale=720:480,harddup -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts acodec=ac3:vcodec=mpeg2video:vme=4:me_range=16:mbd =2:trell:precmp=2:subcmp=2:cmp=2:dia=-10:predia=-10:cbp:mv0:vqmin=1:lmin=1:dc=10:vstrict=0:vrc_buf_ size=1835:vrc_maxrate=7000:vbitrate=4000:threads=4 -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd:tsaf:interleaving2:vframerate=24000/1001 -o %1.mpg -quiet 1>log1.txt 2>log2.txt

PS..."-quiet" supresses the mencoder log. if you take that out it will generate a stdout log and an errout log which can be very helpful in diagnosing problems
cejacksoniii, I try to avoid things with command lines, but you said it works so I guess I'll give it a try. The problem is I do not know how to use command lines, could you tell me how to do what you did or where to type it in or something, because I really want to convert the SNL presedential election skits I downloaded. I'm trying to make a mashup of the funniest clips that have to do with this years election.

Thank you very much.

Ampdanny
11-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Please, can anyone tell me how to use the command line that cejacksoniii posted?

Thank you.:)

slvrlegnd
11-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Please, can anyone tell me how to use the command line that cejacksoniii posted?

Thank you.:)

Sorry, my friend. This is not the forum for that.
We are simply here sharing our testing successes and failures as we attempt to properly convert Hulu's "480p" videos. Our end goal is to help the Applian developers come up with an update that would make Replay Converter do this out of the box.
If you want to continue to play with Mencoder, go google up some usage help. Give Applian a bit of time to work with this information, though, and you'll be able to use their app to do what you want without having to worry about the command line work :cool:
Good luck to you whichever way you decide to go. It sounds like you have a fun project going.

Ampdanny
11-09-2008, 02:30 PM
It's cool, its just that last night I right before converting i was looking for a free alternative to the replay converter, so I googled "hulu flv conversion", and that's how I found out about the conversion problems, but yeah its been fun getting and organizing the clips! Thanks anyway. :)

tiredofspam
11-18-2008, 11:57 AM
I stopped capturing low-res stuff from Hulu in anticipation of converting the 480p videos to another format.

Any idea when the 480p conversion piece will be implemented?

(I'll try a beta if that will help YOU!)

Thanks!

tiredofspam
11-21-2008, 02:51 PM
Just found version 3.2 - the 3.1.x version that I had installed said that there were no updates available. I didn't realize that it wasn't the latest until I checked it.

Anyway, Hulu 480p videos now convert...almost.

There is a popping noise in the audio that occurs about every two or three seconds throughout the video. Sound is sync'd correctly but the popping noise is annoying. (Happens across formats - h264, mpg, avi).

Any ideas?

Thanks for a great suite of products!

dwanthny
11-24-2008, 04:45 AM
As above, the 480 flv Hulu files convert but the audio seems to be skipping a frame every 3-6 seconds. The audio remains in sync but there is an annoying snap/hiccup every few seconds. This problem does occur across conversion types. The only time the sound is crystal clear is when you convert only the sound to a mp3.

Do you have any idea how close you are to getting this solved?

cejacksoniii
11-24-2008, 08:20 AM
Until Applian comes up with a fix, the freeware solution using mencoder that I posted earlier works great for the 480p hi-res hulu files. I've converted a bunch to both iPod and mpeg/dvd. No stutter, solid synch.

tiredofspam
11-24-2008, 12:15 PM
and the popping noise stopped. However, the aspect ratio for the output file is out of whack. Everything gets compressed to 4:3 (even things that were originally 4:3 get squished). (Funny that I didn't pay attention to that before.)

I'll play with it some more tonight...didn't have much chance over the weekend.

Worst case is using mencoder - works great but the parms are confusing.

cejacksoniii
11-24-2008, 11:43 PM
the mencoder parms pretty much stay standard for the 420p files. I set up a bat file that I pass the file name to. that's the only thing that changes

zanefan
11-25-2008, 04:58 PM
The Mencoder thing is unwieldy and confusing, so I hope Applian comes up with something soon...

FYI, I recently downloaded the latest version of KLite Codec Pack and now the Hi-Q 480 vids play on my Media Player Classic. That's something.

I've also been able to get the new Applian Converter to process the items, and the video is great, but the audio drags considerably.

Jeff Lenney
11-25-2008, 09:20 PM
Zane Fan=Zame Lamphrey Fan?

Just curious. :D

zanefan
11-26-2008, 04:03 PM
LOL... No, it's an old name. I first picked it up when "Titanic" came out. Became a Billy Zane fan... not so much anymore...

flvrecor3r
11-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Hi-Q 480 vids play on my Media Player Classic.
Appreciate the heads up.
I see Media Player Classic Home Cinema svn891, including the stand-alone filter package, now includes a DirectShow splitter for AVC/AAC FLV's.
Since there are many H.264 AVC and AAC DirectShow decoders, many converters and players will follow very soon. For example, with the FLV splitter mentioned, Hi-res Hulu FLV's saved by Replay Media Catcher now play in Windows Media Player (with CoreAVC).

thepfy
12-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Can't get hulu here but the new Media Player Classic with the new FLV splitter works with BBC iplayer Hi-Quality Flash Files.
Easiest way then to convert is to use an Avisynth script and your favourite encoder. (I used CCE)

MoparMan
01-02-2009, 02:44 AM
I think flvrecor3r was on to something here. I have had good luck with that except for the final part of using mp4box to add the two files into one....I kept getting an I/O error on that, but anyway......

Just by doing the first part, ( copy the flv streams to an mpeg-4 file), I tested it in media player clasic and media center (in vista) and both played it just fine (no audio or video issues at all). I am now attempting to convert it into a xvid/mp3 avi file (which is taking a while to do).

I will let you all know how it goes.....

MoparMan
01-02-2009, 01:00 PM
well, I got great video and audio still, but out of sync.... I hope applian gets this fixed soon.

MoparMan
01-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Finally got it thanks for the information that flvrecor3r posted back on page 6. I now have have an xvid/mp3 avi file with perfect audio/video/sync.

For those that are tring that, it is important to run the command prompt with admin rights, or else it will fail....that is what I was doing wrong before, lol.

simcoe
01-03-2009, 09:08 PM
...At this point there's nothing in my life I'm awaiting so eagerly as a fix for this maddening conversion dilemma. I've got a pile of flvs just rarin' to go.

;) sim

MoparMan
01-03-2009, 11:22 PM
I made a batch file to make it a little quicker/easier using mp4box and ffmpeg that flvrecor3r posted back on pg. 6.

What it does is after you launch it, it gives some info about using it in vista, then it asks for a file to work with. After the direct-stream copy, it will ask for the fps to use (the correct fps to use is actually shown during the direct stream copy, and the batch file will give you an example of where to find it. the batch file pauses so you can scroll upwards to find it). After that, it will rip the audio/video streams. When that is done, it will ask for the file name you want to use for the new file. Then it combines the streams into the file you specified using the fps that you specified. when it is done, it deletes the original mp4 file (the temporary one) and the audio/video files, leaving just the original flv and the final mp4 file.

The downfall of this batch file is that it will only work with flv files that are encoded with h264 video and aac audio (but it seems that those are the only flv's that are giving issues atm).

If it is not a problem with Applian or anybody else, I would post the contents of the batch file so others could make it themselves.

MoparMan
01-09-2009, 01:28 PM
I edited my batch file a little further. Here is what it utilizes:

1: MPlayer (http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html) to find the TRUE fps of the video files (going off of hulu urls or ffmpeg reported fps proved to be inaccurate from my tests).
2: ffmpeg (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=205275&package_id=248632) latest version for converting the flv to mp4.
3: MP4Box (http://kurtnoise.free.fr/index.php?dir=mp4tools/) latest version for stripping and re-mixing the audio and video to the correct fps.

The batch file is rather straight forward. It starts out giving a warning about its usage in Windows Vista (and how to get it to work) and then asking for the flv file. Then it will launch MPlayer and play the flv file. Mplayer will show the correct fps in the dos window. After closing Mplayer, the script will continue asking for the correct fps. After feeding it that, it will use ffmpeg to convert the flv to mp4 and then mp4box to strip out the audio/video. It will then ask for the output file name (what you want the final file to be named as), and then re-mix the audio/video using the fps you entered into the file name you gave it. Finally, it will clean up the temp files so you will be left with the origional flv file and the final output file.

LIMITATIONS OF SCRIPT:
So far it will only work with *.h264 video and *.aac audio at this point (may change it/add to it in the future if it is needed/requested).

If Applain or no body else minds, I can upload the batch file and required files in one package. If you are interested, post here and I will find a place to upload it to. Total file size is 16.9mb zipped (some files were not needed but left in do to gnu general public license reasons)

All software used is 100% free (and 100% free of add-ware/spyware/maleware) and protected under the gnu general public license.

Tested under Vista Home Premium and as of this posting found no adverse problems with it.

boeinguy2
01-09-2009, 04:37 PM
I can download and install the files myself, just need the script. Thanks:)

MoparMan
01-10-2009, 12:03 PM
can do.

Now, please keep in mind, there is no installer for the three utilities that this script utilizes. so, to install them, it would be easer to start with Mplayer. Extract it into a folder of your choice (to make things easer, it would be a good idea to extract it into a folder in the root of your C: drive, so the layout looks something like this.. "C:\some_folder\mplayer.exe").

Now, extract ffmpeg and mp4box into the same folder (so mp4box.exe, mplayer.exe and ffmpeg.exe all reside in the same folder).

Then, in the same folder, create a txt file and rename it to batch.bat (you may have to turn on "show file extensions" in order to properly change it from *.txt to *.bat, and the actual name of the batch file doesn't matter, as long as it ends in *.bat).

Also, I have only tested this on vista, (uses the "set /p" command, and I dont know if earlier versions of windows support this) so if you use a different version of windows, and it does/does not work, please let me know and I will try to make it work accordingly.

Finally, what you have been waiting for, the "guts" of the script. I could have cleaned it up more, but I decided to leave it "as-is" to give people an idea as to what it is doing, so others could tweak it as they want. Now, copy everything and paste it into the batch file............

@ echo off
TITLE MoparMan's FLV batch script
cls
echo First things first. If you are using Windows Vista
echo then this batch script must be ran from a dos window
echo that has administrator rights. Use google to find out how
echo if you don't know how to do this.
echo.
echo If you are ready, please continue. If not
echo then press "ctrl+c" to quit.
pause
cls
echo What flv file do you want to work with?
echo NOTE: Must be in quotes or else it will fail!
echo EXAMPLE: "my video.flv"
set /p input=Enter the name of the flv (in quotes) then press enter:
cls
echo Thank you. We will now attempt to play %input% in Mplayer.
echo This is so we can find the true FPS to use.
echo.
echo As soon as the video plays, you can close it. After it is closed,
echo look for a line that looks something like this in the cmd window...
echo.
echo VIDEO: [H264] 720x400 0bpp 23.976 fps 0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
echo.
echo In our example, 23.976 fps was given, so when asked for the fps, please
echo enter the number "23.976" (without the quotes) when asked.
pause
cls
mplayer.exe %input%
TITLE MoparMan's FLV batch script
echo.
echo Now, scroll up to find the FPS of the video, and enter it
echo below WITHOUT quotes.
set /p fps=Please enter the fps number then press enter (EX. 23.976):
cls
echo Thank you. We are now going to convert %input% with
echo an FPS of %fps% into a usable file format. This will take place
echo in several steps:
echo 1: Direct-stream copy the audio/video to a temp mp4 file.
echo 2: Strip out the Audio and video into seperate temp files.
echo 3: Will re-combine them into an mp4 file of your choice using
echo the correct fps.
echo 4: Delete the temp files.
echo.
echo If the information you entered is correct, then continue.
echo If not, then press "ctrl+c" to exit out of this script
echo so you can start over.
pause
cls
echo Starting Step 1:
ffmpeg.exe -i %input% -vcodec copy -acodec copy "temp.mp4"
cls
echo Step 1 done, moving on to step 2:
mp4box.exe -raw 1 "temp.mp4"
mp4box.exe -raw 2 "temp.mp4"
cls
echo Step 2 done, moving on to step 3:
echo.
echo your input file name was %input%.
echo What do you want your output file to be named as?
echo NOTE: Must end with *.mp4 and in quotes!
echo EXAMPLE: "my file.mp4"
set /p output=Enter file name (in quotes) then press enter:
echo.
mp4box.exe -add "temp_track1.h264:fps=%fps%" -add "temp_track2.aac" %output%
cls
echo Audio and Video combined into file %output%.
echo.
echo Step 3 done, moving on to final step...
echo.
echo Now cleaning up....
del temp.mp4
del temp_track1.h264
del temp_track2.aac
echo.
echo Cleanup finished.
echo.
echo You can now use %output% in any converter app of your choice.
echo Thank you for using my batch tool and have a nice day!
pause
cls

as you can see, it is written to only work with *.h264 video and *.aac audio files that get extracted from the original flv file. if you get something different, or get errors in general, let me know and I will try to tweak it some to support others.

Also, to use this, place the flv file in the same folder as this batch script.

Now, to get the script to work without errors in vista, you must launch the batch script from a command prompt that has admin rights. the easiest way to do this is to create a shortcut to cmd in the same folder as the other files.

To make it, right-click in the same folder, select new, then shortcut. the shortcut wizard starts up, asking for what item you want to create a shortcut for, type "CMD" without the quotes, then hit next. for the name, you can keep it as the default "cmd.exe" and hit finish.

Now, to set the cmd shortcut to launch with admin rights... right-click on the cmd.exe shortcut, click on properties, then under the shortcut tab, click on the advanced button, then in the new window that opens up, put a check next to "Run as administrator". Now click on ok, then apply, then ok again.

So, to run the batch script, you need to double-click the cmd.exe shortcut, then navigate to your batch script location (the cmd window defaults to C:\windows\system32 and atm I don't know how to make it default to the folder that contains the batch script, still working on that). When you get to that point, just run the batch script and follow the instructions it gives you.

boeinguy2
01-11-2009, 10:31 AM
I have not tried this process yet, but I did try converting a file using the steps posted earlier. It turned out great! Your script will make it easier. Thanks Again!

I got a beautiful file that looks good and plays well. However, I did not accomplish my goal. I own a Neuros OSD version 1 which is a device that plays and captures videos off of the TV. I really like it, but it does not play high def files. Sooo, why am I capturing and converting HighDef? because I want to play the high def file on my netbook which I can take anywhere.

The MP4 I made using this process does not play on the Neuros Device. IN order to play there I have to get the file into a compatible file. The Neuros plays these files:

http://www.neurostechnology.com/neuros-osd-playback-settings

Is there a way that I can convert the (apparently) variable bitrate file (Hulu H.264 or the converted MP4 file) to one of the listed formats? I have tried Replay Converter. I get a file that plays but has the clipped sound about every 3-5 secs.

I cannot find any other conversion process that works any better, most are worse.

Is there a way to get ffmpeg to do these? If so, I can modify your script to do the work.

MoparMan
01-11-2009, 05:37 PM
First of all, I see why your device is having problems playing the files (either one).

The first one is that in FLV (original), your device will support H263 vid and aac audio, and the FLV from hulu are H264 (I am assuming this is the reason) and aac audio.
Now, in MP4 format your device supports MPEG-4 (like divx and xvid) video and AAC audio.

Now, RMC (along with others) has issues converting the original FLV for some reason. I believe that there is something in place in the FLV that deliberately throws off the audio/video sync when converted (hence the steps for finding the correct fps).

I would recommend you first use the steps above (or from pg 5 in this post) to convert the flv to mp4, THEN use a either RMC or another app to re-incode it into a format your device will support.

As for how to get ffmpeg to convert to other formats, I don't know how to do that. The best information I can give is read through the docs that come with it and see what options it gives you.

Now, I apologize if this steps on applians' toes (just until their converter supports these flv files), but another converter tool to give a try is Format Factory (http://www.formatoz.com/) which is completely free and supports ALOT of different conversion methods (but it still wont handle the flv themselves, but you can try the mp4 file).

To be honest, I have yet to really do anything with the MP4 format after converting them from the flv except to insure that they are still in sync. If you find something else out, please post back here with what worked/didn't work.

boeinguy2
01-12-2009, 02:24 PM
"Now, RMC (along with others) has issues converting the original FLV for some reason. I believe that there is something in place in the FLV that deliberately throws off the audio/video sync when converted (hence the steps for finding the correct fps)."

Actually, I think that it is the variable bit rate that is the issue. I have run across this in the past. VBR is more difficult to process since any conversion must deal with the fact that as the bitrate changes, the audio syncing changes.

"I would recommend you first use the steps above (or from pg 5 in this post) to convert the flv to mp4, THEN use a either RMC or another app to re-incode it into a format your device will support."

This I have done and the converted mp4 plays great. However, it is also a variable bitrate file.

"As for how to get ffmpeg to convert to other formats, I don't know how to do that. The best information I can give is read through the docs that come with it and see what options it gives you."

From looking at ffmpeg it appears to do many formats, but I cannot figure out how to use it.

Now, I apologize if this steps on applians' toes (just until their converter supports these flv files), but another converter tool to give a try is Format Factory (http://www.formatoz.com/) which is completely free and supports ALOT of different conversion methods (but it still wont handle the flv themselves, but you can try the mp4 file).

I have tried several including SUPER. Pinnacle Movie Studio 12, Replay Media Converter, AVS Converter and some others. the process we are talking about produces a great file, but non of these will correctly convert the FLV or the MP4 files.

I am going to try two things., I am going to try getting the lower resolution FLV from Hulu which, I believe, is H263 and I am going to try a process gound here:

http://zunetips.wordpress.com/veohcom-hulucom-video-downloading/

Maybe one of these will work. I will also try the Format Factory app you mentioned as well as AVIDemux mentioned here:

http://www.videohelp.com/guides/how-to-record-streaming-flash-media-edit-and-save-as-avi-mp4-etc-id1086#1086

Will post the results.:confused:

flvrec0r3r
01-13-2009, 01:37 AM
I don't know how to make it default to the folder that contains the batch script
I don't have Vista, but in 2k or XP I would do this. Probably this directory would be familiar and common to people working with Replay Media Catcher, ...\My Documents\My Recordings, for an example as to where your script might be.

File | New | Shortcut
In Type the location of the item: field, use

%windir%\system32\CMD.EXE /k CD "%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\My Documents\My Recordings"
The quotes are needed. In the Type the name of the shorcut: field use whatever you want like My Script. Click Finish.

Right-click the My Script shortcut and in the Start in: field use

"%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\My Documents\My Recordings"
The quotes are needed.
Click Apply | OK

Now again right-click the My Script shortcut and do what needs to be done to elevate to Administrator (I think that would be right-click and choose Run as...)

boeinguy2
01-13-2009, 11:09 AM
Okay, the resutls so far.

After downloading an episode of Alias Smith and Jones in standard format, I discovered that the Neuros player cannot play the standard FLV file. I used the Pazera tool (Pazera Free FLV to AVI Converter 1.1), and I was able to play the resulting AVI file. Sound was in sync but it was highly pixelated. Pazera is a gui for ffmpeg, So I just need to figure out how to get the settings correct.

I am converting the HD FLV file of the same episode and will see how it works this evening.

boeinguy2
01-14-2009, 09:24 AM
I just tried the Format Factory utility mentioned earlier in this thread. It works great, but with these caveats:

It transcodes 480p hulu flv - only to vob or mpg. Transcoding to other formats (avi,mp4,wmv) doesn't work.

You need to select custom settings for vob or mpg, and set the resolution manually (I use 850x480) and the bitrate, fps, audio rate, etc.

29.97 fps seems to work fine, regardless of the original fps. The bitrate can't seem to be set higher than 1999. So, I set it to 1999.

The newest version, 1.65, has audio sync troubles (tried all fps settings), but the previous version, 1.55, works great.

1.55 available here:

http://www.badongo.com/file/11736700

The resulting vobs play great on my set top media player.

This seems to be an easy way, since I will just dispose of the files after I watch them. I don't know if it provides the best transcode for archival purposes.
I will try Fropmat Factory version 1.55 tonight. The Neuros SOD device I am doi9ng this for does not play VOB byt does play mpg.

Here are my results from last night:

1) Pazera created an AVI that had nice quality but the sound was shifted. This was baswed on the Hulu high def file

2) I tried converting the file with Winff for Neuros, and it will not recognize the file. Funny, Pazera and Winff are both Gui's for ffmpeg.

3) I tried converting an mp4 file that was made with an ffmpeg/mp4box process i found elsewhere. IT was a great file, perfect sound sync and great video. It is a file that will not play on the Neuros OSD. Using Winff for Neuros, I got a great file that is sound shifted by 8-9 secs.

4) I am currently trying to use winff for Neuros to convert a standard definition copy of the same show. I will post the results. Trying to see of there is something unique about the high def files from Hulu. In Pazera, this file converted andthe sound was in sync, only the video was highly pixelated.

I am hoping that someone smarter than me will see the issues and trends and help point me in a better direction. I am just shotgunning the problem with various tools to see what I get. There may be adjustments that I can make, but don't know how. ffmpeg looks very powerful, but there sooo many options and details that I do not know where to begin customizing the setup.

boeinguy2
01-14-2009, 10:36 AM
I just learned about the async option for ffmpeg. Both Pazera and Winff have a means of putting in parameters so I can try this. I will add it to my tests this evening.

tonic
01-14-2009, 09:27 PM
MoparMan, you're script is really nice, but I'm getting errors during the ffmpeg encoding. I've tried regrabbing the flv from hulu, but I always get this output. MP4box says the file isn't valid when trying to open after ffmpeg shuts down.

c:\convert>ffmpeg.exe -i "tds011309.flv" -vcodec copy -acodec copy "tds011309.mp
4"
FFmpeg version SVN-r16596-Sherpya, Copyright (c) 2000-2009 Fabrice Bellard, et a
l.
libavutil 49.12. 0 / 49.12. 0
libavcodec 52.10. 0 / 52.10. 0
libavformat 52.23. 1 / 52.23. 1
libavdevice 52. 1. 0 / 52. 1. 0
libavfilter 0. 2. 0 / 0. 2. 0
libswscale 0. 6. 1 / 0. 6. 1
libpostproc 51. 2. 0 / 51. 2. 0
built on Jan 14 2009 07:24:48, gcc: 4.2.5 20080919 (prerelease) [Sherpya]
Input #0, flv, from 'tds011309.flv':
Duration: 00:21:41.93, start: 0.075000, bitrate: N/A
Stream #0.0: Video: h264, yuv420p, 640x480 [PAR 1:1 DAR 4:3], 29.97 tb(r)
Stream #0.1: Audio: aac, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16
File 'tds011309.mp4' already exists. Overwrite ? [y/N] y
Output #0, mp4, to 'tds011309.mp4':
Stream #0.0: Video: libx264, yuv420p, 640x480 [PAR 1:1 DAR 4:3], q=2-31, 29.
97 tb(c)
Stream #0.1: Audio: libfaac, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16
Stream mapping:
Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
Stream #0.1 -> #0.1
Press [q] to stop encoding
frame= 1007 fps=1003 q=-1.0 size= 7152kB time=38.69 bitrate=1514.2kbits/s
frame= 2301 fps=1527 q=-1.0 size= 11445kB time=88.46 bitrate=1059.8kbits/s
frame= 3642 fps=1814 q=-1.0 size= 16756kB time=140.03 bitrate= 980.2kbits/s
frame= 5005 fps=1996 q=-1.0 size= 23205kB time=192.46 bitrate= 987.7kbits/s
frame= 6550 fps=2178 q=-1.0 size= 28212kB time=251.89 bitrate= 917.5kbits/s
frame= 8456 fps=2410 q=-1.0 size= 35573kB time=325.19 bitrate= 896.1kbits/s
frame= 9847 fps=2457 q=-1.0 size= 40520kB time=378.71 bitrate= 876.5kbits/s
frame=10840 fps=2405 q=-1.0 size= 44629kB time=416.87 bitrate= 877.0kbits/s
frame=13307 fps=2654 q=-1.0 size= 54665kB time=511.76 bitrate= 875.0kbits/s
[flv @ 02D70140]negative cts, previous timestamps might be wrong
frame=16531 fps=2983 q=-1.0 size= 66613kB time=635.75 bitrate= 858.3kbits/s
frame=18495 fps=3051 q=-1.0 size= 74853kB time=711.29 bitrate= 862.1kbits/s
frame=19530 fps=2969 q=-1.0 size= 79544kB time=751.10 bitrate= 867.6kbits/s
frame=22006 fps=3102 q=-1.0 size= 88587kB time=846.34 bitrate= 857.5kbits/s
frame=23238 fps=3060 q=-1.0 size= 92940kB time=893.72 bitrate= 851.9kbits/s
[NULL @ 035F11A0]error, non monotone timestamps 30028050 >= 30028050
av_interleaved_write_frame(): Error while opening file

flvrec0r3r
01-15-2009, 01:13 AM
I just learned about the async option for ffmpeg. Both Pazera and Winff have a means of putting in parameters so I can try this. I will add it to my tests this evening.Probably async is not the solution. It might help you with a single short file. But you will be going crazy doing it for every video from here on as you trial and error to get the right async or vsync values.

As a pointer back to basics, the original method was used to make a file that would (a) play or (b) load into something like Replay Converter. If it plays, all that's left is getting converter output format and parameters for your device correct.

I see MoparMan has come to the same independent conclusion when he suggests

...first use the steps above (or from pg 5 in this post) to convert the flv to mp4, THEN use a either RMC or another app to re-incode it into a format your device will support.I guess that sounds simpler than it works out to be. But hunting for different versions of converters as a solution to the Neuros issue will be fruitless for now.

flvrec0r3r
01-15-2009, 01:21 AM
[NULL @ 035F11A0]error, non monotone timestamps 30028050 >= 30028050
av_interleaved_write_frame(): Error while opening file This is fatal. Technically the non monotone timestamps is just a warning. But the av_interleaved_write_frame() error can't be fixed with what we're doing. Consider it a damaged file. Hang onto the FLV and you may discover a workaround the damaged frame(s) later on. FWIW, I've had the exact same experience and re-downloading the file did not help.

boeinguy2
01-15-2009, 10:59 AM
YEsterdays results:

1) winff with the -async option set to 26 would not read the 480p Hulu FLV

2) The mp4 version I made using the ffmpeg/mp4box process presented earlier did not change the syncing problem I get. The file is good but has some difference from the Neuros mp4 requirement that will not allow it to play. I am wondering if sadsac's comment about the need to ensure the output framerate is the same as the input framerate is relevant. I had read this before, and had been doing that, but the instructions for the winff for Neuroes said that it did not make any difference.

flvrec0r3r, I have tried and successfully created an mp4 with the process. It is a great file but won't play on the neuros. I cannot figure out how to set up ffmpeg to get the mp4 to be great and to play on the Neuros. Several of the tools I am trying are gui's to ffmpeg and winff is supposed to use ffmpeg to create Neuros compatible files.

ffmpeg can read the FLV I am trying to convert, I wonder if there is a way to do the ffmpeg process and end up with an AVI not an MP4, or if there are other settings for the MP4 that might make it compatible with the Neuros. Not sure where to go there.

3) I did have success with the 360p flv from Hulu. winff did make a file that had synced sound, but it is pixelated and low resolution and is not a good picture at 640x480, the resolution I am aiming for to get a good picture on my TV.

flvrec0r3r - do you have any suggestions as to how to tweak ffmpeg?

sadsac - I did not get to trying Format Factory 1.55 last night. I have tried 1.65 but ran into the audio sync problem you mentioned.

flvrec0r3r
01-15-2009, 05:32 PM
flvrec0r3r, I have tried and successfully created an mp4 with the process. It is a great file but won't play on the neuros. I cannot figure out how to set up ffmpeg to get the mp4 to be great and to play on the Neuros.

ffmpeg can read the FLV I am trying to convert, I wonder...
OK, stop. Don't go back to the original FLV for anything. You've successfully created an mp4 but it won't play on the Neuros OSD. Then you need a converter.

Pick the latest version of a converter and stick with it. Almost all converters are able to produce a Neuros compatible file. So stick with one of them and keep trying. Get the latest version (dated late December 2008) not the 1.0 version linked, and then try what Neuros suggests (http://wiki.neurostechnology.com/index.php/WinFF_for_Neuros).

There are two possible file formats ouput by the original method, an MP4 and an MKV file. I always use the (MKV file) Matroska container so never noticed problems you might be seeing. For me, Replay Converter (http://www.applian.com/replay-converter/index.php) will convert an MKV file with perfect A/V sync and no stuttering. I hope that isn't particular to my system because I don't see MKV supported per se.

You could try the MKV file and Replay Converter to create Neuros OSD supported video formats (http://www.neurostechnology.com/neuros-osd-playback-settings) such as an Xvid and MP3 in an AVI as an alternate suggestion.

flvrec0r3r
01-18-2009, 02:53 PM
Yes, Format Factory is in effect mencoder which should work with tweaking.

In addition, if you use the other steps to create an MKV file instead of an MP4, choosing the MKV file in Replay Media Catcher's converter yields a very nice looking file with the "TV Same Quality (MPEG 2 (DVD)..." format.

boeinguy2
01-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Well,

I have worked with Winff for Neuros to see if I could tweak it somehow to get a working file. Under no circumstances, with no amount of tweaking, can I get rid of the 9 sec sound advance that gets produced every time I convert the working mp4 or the original flv. Unless there is something I need to learn, I cannot get a file that works. Every tool I have tried produces the same result.

I have read and read as much as I can read and can find no working solutions.

Okay, sadsac, I tried to access the link you sent for Format Factory 1.55 and I cannot figure out how to download the file. It is not a link and it does not point to a link.

flvrec0r3r, I will try your MKV process.

Finally, it seems that there are two additional possibilities. Is there a possibility that there is something on my computer, a codec problem or something, that would cause this. Secondly is there a possibility that there is something in this file, maybe because it starts as a H.264 file, that can contribute to this problem?

I am getting frustrated to say the least

boeinguy2
01-18-2009, 09:08 PM
flvrec0r3r,

I tried to use the MKV process. but I go the following error:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Nathan Edward Figg>"C:\Program Files\MKVtoolnix\mkvmer
ge.exe" --output-charset UTF-8 -o "Alias Smith and Jones - 101 - Pilot.MKV" --di
splay-dimensions 0:720X400 --default-duration 030000/1001fps -d 0 -A -S "Alias S
mith and Jones - 101 - Pilot_track1.h264" -a0 -D -S "Alias Smith and Jones - 101
- Pilot_track2.aac" --track-order 0:0,1:0
mkvmerge v2.4.1 ('Use Me') built on Dec 7 2008 02:39:32
Error: Display dimensions: not given in the form <TID>:<width>x<height>, e.g. 1:
640x480 (argument was '0:720X400').

any ideas?

flvrec0r3r
01-18-2009, 10:07 PM
If you want to use the MKV file you will need to change the command line to reflect 640x480 not 720x400. This is somewhat evident in the error message. Use --display-dimensions 0:640x480 instead of --display-dimensions 0:720x400. Things like that wil need changed based on the original FLV. Sometimes it will be 640x360 sometimes 480x360 Mediainfo (http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/) is helpful to determine composition of a video file.

I didn't have any trouble downloading Format Factory from the link provided above. It's pretty standard with video freeware to follow a few links. Two more clicks and I was at Download.com with a big Download Now button.

Make sure you have the latest version of WinFF. This is where I mentioned above, "Get the latest version (dated late December 2008) not the 1.0 version..."

You can load the final converted file into WinFF 0.45 (as if you were going to convert it again) and just press the "Play" button. It should play.

I just used Replay Media Catcher to snag Episode 2 of AS&J (because it was shorter). I used the exact software versions shown on page 5. I used the exact commands for the MP4 file (I didn't need to try the MKV). I used WinFF 0.45 to convert the MP4 file to Neuros format. It plays back perfectly.

I realize that everyone posting, "I can convert without a problem," is about as helpful to a drowning man as everyone standing on the edge of a pool and yelling, "I can swim just fine!" But that's where we are. :(

boeinguy2
01-19-2009, 06:16 AM
If you want to use the MKV file you will need to change the command line to reflect 640x480 not 720x400. This is somewhat evident in the error message. Use --display-dimensions 0:640x480 instead of --display-dimensions 0:720x400. Things like that wil need changed based on the original FLV. Sometimes it will be 640x360 sometimes 480x360 Mediainfo (http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/) is helpful to determine composition of a video file. :(

I figured out the issue, I typed 720X480 instead of 720x480, needs to be lower case x. Your point is taken though. The MKV file I made plays in Nero Showtime without sound. Replay catcher made unusable files about 200kb in size. Must have done something wrong?

I didn't have any trouble downloading Format Factory from the link provided above. It's pretty standard with video freeware to follow a few links. Two more clicks and I was at Download.com with a big Download Now button. :(

sadsac posted info that I can use.

Make sure you have the latest version of WinFF. This is where I mentioned above, "Get the latest version (dated late December 2008) not the 1.0 version..." :[Quote]

I will try this again. I used winff 0.43 because it is listed as 'stable'.

[Quote] You can load the final converted file into WinFF 0.45 (as if you were going to convert it again) and just press the "Play" button. It should play.

I just used Replay Media Catcher to snag Episode 2 of AS&J (because it was shorter). I used the exact software versions shown on page 5. I used the exact commands for the MP4 file (I didn't need to try the MKV). I used WinFF 0.45 to convert the MP4 file to Neuros format. It plays back perfectly. :[Quote]

I will do this now with Winff 0.45! Do you have a Neuros device?

[Quote] I realize that everyone posting, "I can convert without a problem," is about as helpful to a drowning man as everyone standing on the edge of a pool and yelling, "I can swim just fine!" But that's where we are. :(

I am not ready to quit yet.

boeinguy2
01-20-2009, 06:49 AM
Okay, I tried what you recommended, and I got the same results I have been consistently getting, a file that has sound that starts 9 seconds early. There is an explosion that occurs at 34 seconds in the sound but at 43 seconds in the video.

I used Winff 0.45 and both the original FLV file from Hulu, and the mp4 I created using the process from page 5. Both of these files play perfectly.

Obviously it is not a computer issue, since I was able to use the command line process to make a good mp4.

I wonder if there is a codec problem. Since I have a number of video processing apps installed, maybe I have some conflicts there.

Finally, since this problem is consistent, no matter how I process the files, maybe I should be looking for some ffmpeg switches that will correct the time shift. I cannot figure out how to use the ffmpeg switches in Winff. There is a place to add switches, but apparently no way to indicate whether they apply to the sound or the video track.

flvrec0r3r
01-20-2009, 12:31 PM
I used Winff 0.45 and both the original FLV file from Hulu, and the mp4 I created using the process from page 5. Both of these files play perfectly.Then try Replay Converter on the MP4 that plays perfectly. That's exactly what the process was meant to provide.

Obviously it is not a computer issue, since I was able to use the command line process to make a good mp4.

I wonder if there is a codec problem. Since I have a number of video processing apps installed, maybe I have some conflicts there. The command line programs do not use any Windows codecs.

I cannot figure out how to use the ffmpeg switches in Winff. There is a place to add switches, but apparently no way to indicate whether they apply to the sound or the video track.Probably an FFMPEG forum is best for that.

boeinguy2
01-21-2009, 11:38 AM
Okay, I tried an HD 00:02:16 clip of 'The Office' and the file played on the Neuros OSD!!!! I used Winff to make the conversion.

I am working on trying something longer, in the 10 to 20 minute range.

I think I already tried converting the longer Alias Smith and Jones MP4 that works well with Replay Converter and I got a file with audio shifting.

flvrec0r3r
01-21-2009, 09:45 PM
Glad some progress is seen.

I think I already tried converting the longer Alias Smith and Jones MP4 that works well with Replay Converter and I got a file with audio shifting.
Perhaps your original file is bad. Try capturing the video again. Then converting again. If it is an abrupt shift that then stays out of sync the same number of seconds throughout the video I'd blame the source and try grabbing it again. It's the easiest way out. Resynchronizing A/V is probably more of an art or tradecraft than science with tested, proven answers.

boeinguy2
01-22-2009, 09:55 AM
Last night I tried a 14 minute HD version of Clinton's 1993 Inaugration Speech (Picked for its time, not for its content).

The video lags the sound by about 2 secs.

There are a few things I have to check.

1. The shorter clip from 'The Office' had a framerate of 29.97 and an aspect ratio of 16:9
2. The Clinton Speech has an aspect ration of 4:3 and I need to check the framerate
3. The Alias Smith and Jones Episode had an aspect ratio of 4:3 and a framerate of 23.976

Based on this, I need to answer a few questions:

1. Does framerate make a difference? If so, can I adjust the final result or will changing the framerate in Winff make a difference?
2. Does length make a difference? The short clip was perfect, the 14 minute clip was off by 2 secs, the 74 minute show was off by 9 secs.
3. Is it possible that the aspect ratio makes a difference?
4. Is there a way to compensate for the offset?
5. During the final step of converting the Clinton file I saw a message in the command window, after ffmpeg loads the file, to the effect that the conversion was not starting at 0.00 and that this could produce an a/v syncing problem. Don't have the exact text with me, but it goes on to state that anyone who could create a patch for this problem would be appreciated.
6. Finally, does my machine have an effect? An individual at the Neuros forum who has been working on this also was successful at processing the Alias Smith and Jones, so it is not the file, it has to be a local problem. I am doing all of this work on my laptop, a Dell XMS M170. It has a 2.13 Pentium M processor, a 256 Meg Nvidia video processor, and 2 Gigs of Ram. I may try to run some of this on my wife's computer which has a 3.0 Gig Pentium 4, 512 meg video card and 2 Gigs of Ram.[/list]

flvrec0r3r
01-23-2009, 03:15 AM
Last night I tried a 14 minute HD version of Clinton's 1993 Inaugration Speech (Picked for its time, not for its content).

The video lags the sound by about 2 secs.

Since the same problem happens again and again, an abrupt change in A/V sync of an indeterminate number of seconds, I suspect the problem lies in the source file. An incorrect framerate between 23.98 and 29.97 is a difference of about 5000 frames for the course of a 14 minute video. 5000 frames is about 45 seconds give or take.

The rest of the questions are unfortunately beyond the scope of this Replay Converter forum. The conversion method used here was posted several months ago at a time when very few solutions for dealing with the new Hulu Hi-def files was available. It was just a method to play the files on another software player, or get them into a converter. I have encouraged further discussion far beyond the original intent and I should not have done so.

I think the best place for these additional follow-up questions is forums for the software you are using WinFF, or the hardware for which you are converting, the Neuros OSD forums.

boeinguy2
01-23-2009, 08:43 AM
Thanks for everyone's help! I have made progress, but not quite there.

As a final note, I did redo the Clinton speech file, with the -async 2 setting added to winff. The resulting file had a stutter very similar to the one that I started this whole issue with when Replay Converter created a file that had a stutter in it. Began to wonder if there is a clue to why Replay Converter does not work correctly, maybe it is syncing audio but does not have a high enough sample rate and so produces the stutter. I am testing another run at this file with -async 10. I will see if the stutter goes away or gets worse.

As requested I will take continue this topic on other forums.

Thanks again everyone.

llib
02-02-2009, 05:18 PM

This made me laugh. Why doesn't Applian give credit where credit is due? Applian uses mencoder.

Link (http://roundup.ffmpeg.org/roundup/ffmpeg/issue110)

Applian has been added to ffmpeg's hall of shame. (http://ffmpeg.org/shame.html) For violating ffmpeg's use license.

I like your Media Catcher app, but cmon guys lets act professionally here.

Latest installer RCSetup.exe (size 21203424, md5sum
caf992b8b1d5f84dcc48e98b513369d6) contains ffmpeg.exe, r13981, configured with
--enable-gpl --enable-libxvid --enable-libx264 --enable-libswscale
--enable-libfaac --enable-libfaad.
No signs of source code or GPL (except in the ffmpeg binary).
It also contains dvdauthor.exe and libmplayer.dll, which might only be a wrapper
for libswscale.
Added to shame.

Wheres the thanks? :confused:

IJK_Principle
02-25-2009, 01:46 PM
Do you think you could give me a hand with one of the files, guys? Any help would be much appreciated.

I have this little flv downloaded (http://rapidshare.de/files/45655364/khl.flv.html) using replay media catcher but I'm really hopeless trying to find a way to convert it to anything that is playable in windows media player, media player classic or vlc.
The only players that can handle it are the Moyea FLV Player and Applian FLV Player.
It can't be played in mplayer, ffmpeg doesn't work, mediacoder doesn't work. None of many other converters works. Although that ******** converter can play the video in that player in the lower-right corner, it can't convert it.
Either I'm doing something terribly wrong or...

flvrec0r3r
02-27-2009, 04:34 PM
I have this little flv downloaded using replay media catcher but I'm really hopeless trying to find a way to convert it to anything that is playable in windows media player, media player classic or vlc.

Put everything in the same folder. Probably ...\My Recordings is fine

Download FLVEXTRACT.EXE (http://www.moitah.net/), Unzip, then Double-click it.
Tick the three tick boxes Video Timecode Audio
Drag and Drop khl.flv onto the FLVExtract window

You got three files

khl.aac
khl.264
khl.txt

Press the Copy Frame Rates button. Paste it into a text document

------------
File: khl.flv
Estimated True Frame Rate: 33.3333333333333 (100/3)
Average Frame Rate: 24.4988662131519 (10804/441)
-------------

You can close all FLVExtract Windows

This is the what you want from the copy frame rates button --> Average Frame Rate: 24.4988662131519

Round up to known good Frames Per Second values. In this case round up to 25

Combine the audio and video into an MP4 file. Note below where we use the rounded value "25" in MP4Box (http://kurtnoise.free.fr/mp4tools/MP4Box-0.4.5.zip). <-- You may need to download this and unzip it to where everything else is.

In a command window navigate to where everything is in the same folder, e.g.,

CD "&#37;HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\My Documents\My Recordings"

type in

mp4box.exe -add "khl.264:fps=25" -add "khl.aac" "khl_flv.mp4"

and hit enter.

If you have errors running mp4box you may need the latest version of the Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 redistributable (http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/results.aspx?freetext=2008%20Redistributable&pro) containing MSVCR90.dll. It can be very bad to hunt for DLL's other than from a Microsoft site. Choose your platform x86, ia64, download and install. Reboot if asked. Then try the MP4Box step again

You can delete khl.aac khl.264 khl.txt
khl_flv.mp4 should convert with Replay Converter or play in VLC.

Since we are dealing with a very short clip with only music and action this works. There is no perceptible audio/video destnchronization.

In other cases you would often transcode the video stream at the Average Frame Rate and convert the Frame Rate to the known good value during transcoding. This would leave the audio file at the same length of the video file. The audio and video would then be multiplexed together resulting in most probably imperceptible desynchronization as differences in average and actual rates of the two files is minimal.

Most video files with dialogue and face close-ups can't be done so simply. The loger the video the worse it gets.

IJK_Principle
02-28-2009, 07:28 AM
Thanks a lot for the answer. It really helped. Although I have a question.

Is it really necessary to insert the desired framerate when using the mp4box tool? When I use these parameters:

mp4box.exe -add "khl.264" -add "khl.aac" "khlwhatever.mp4"

without the ":fps=25"

it compiles the sound and video into an mp4 file just fine.

Or is there a default fps value that is used by mp4box when not entering it manually and coincidentally it's 25?

EDIT: And how about the khl.txt file? Is it really needed? Does mp4box use it when compiling the mp4 file for me or something?

Thanks

flvrec0r3r
02-28-2009, 11:01 PM
Is it really necessary to insert the desired framerate when using the mp4box tool? ...without the ":fps=25" it compiles the sound and video into an mp4 file just fine.

Or is there a default fps value that is used by mp4box when not entering it manually and coincidentally it's 25?
:fps=nn is not always needed. The AVC H.264 stream FLVextract-ed did have the proper frame rate 25 fps indicated and MP4Box will detect and use it. 360 x 288 will be @ 25 fps is a pretty safe bet. That is one of the common PAL standard files. It does however make it a surer bet when determined by FLVExtract and specified on the command line.

Just a habit. I hate it when I assume, "Oh, that must be PAL," and dont find out until after a one hour transcode with desynchronization issues that it wasn't ~25 fps after all.
EDIT: And how about the khl.txt file? Is it really needed? Does mp4box use it when compiling the mp4 file for me or something?No. The timecode txt file from FLVExtract isn't needed by MP4Box. You can safely untick that box when desired. Another habit. When a mistake happens I like to have some digital bread crumbs along the path to hopefully/helpfully find out where errors occured.
ThanksGlad to try.

This comment goes a little beyond scope of the forum but explains the trivial details. FLV files are a tough nut to crack as a container. FLV files were designed to facilitate networked streaming and buffering and seeking. Not so much were they designed to be transcoded. I think no one person at Adobe knew all the specifications of the format until Adobe decided recently to open the format and document it. Sort of like when FLV player (which is really using Adobe Flash) can play a file perfectly yet nothing else can play it shouldn't happen. I learned the hard way to take small steps. I think others have posted they'd convert a small file, be thrilled, spend 30 minutes converting a larger file, and the larger file was all messed up. This make people drink. Excessively.

As soon as handling these nit-pick oddities can be integrated into Replay Converter I'm sure all these step by steps will no longer be needed.