PDA

View Full Version : media catcher stopped working with Hulu

akmick
07-28-2008, 11:11 PM
This morning media catcher was working fine with Hulu, but now when I try to grab a show I don't get anything in the actual content file... but the ads come through fine...

Any ideas?

Tasha Heinlein
07-28-2008, 11:13 PM
This morning media catcher was working fine with Hulu, but now when I try to grab a show I don't get anything in the actual content file... but the ads come through fine...

Any ideas?

What show are you having trouble with? Is it one of the TV-MA shows that you need to log in to view?

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein
Applian Technologies, Inc.

akmick
07-28-2008, 11:27 PM
What show are you having trouble with? Is it one of the TV-MA shows that you need to log in to view?

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein

I was trying with ReGenesis which is TV-MA but I also tried family guy and king of the hill which aren't TV-MA and each time the file came down as 0kb in size and it stopped.

Andy Heinlein
07-30-2008, 11:09 AM
Hello...

Please uninstall version 2.3, reboot then install version 3.0 (http://www.applian.com/replay-media-catcher/demo.php) and see if that helps out...

-andy.

cain
07-30-2008, 06:01 PM
Just finished recording The Fifth Element off of Hulu on 480p.

Perfect. Got the whole movie, no problems (I just had to be patient.) :)

akmick
07-31-2008, 07:52 PM
Hello...

Please uninstall version 2.3, reboot then install version 3.0 (http://www.applian.com/replay-media-catcher/demo.php) and see if that helps out...

-andy.

I did that and now I only appear to be getting 75% of the shows I download 0 as if it were the demo... and this is even though I put my install code in...

Any ideas?

Tasha Heinlein
07-31-2008, 09:21 PM
I did that and now I only appear to be getting 75% of the shows I download 0 as if it were the demo... and this is even though I put my install code in...

Any ideas?

Are you getting the green checkmark? Try playing back the files you've captured and make sure that they are incomplete.

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein

akmick
07-31-2008, 09:35 PM
Are you getting the green checkmark? Try playing back the files you've captured and make sure that they are incomplete.

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein

I get the green checkmark, and when I play the file the media player says it is the full length, but it stops after playing 75% of the file as if I were only using the demo version...

Andy Heinlein
07-31-2008, 10:13 PM
play the downloaded file all the way through... don't fast forward or anything. I guarantee you will see the whole thing. What is probably happening is the video isn't synced with the time line so the slider at the bottom of FLV player is at about 75% when the video finishes playing.

This bug only happens with the newer HD content like Dirt. The reason why this happens is because I don't know how to decode the audio properly to tell how long a frame should be played for.

This shouldn't effect playback... you are getting the whole thing.

-andy.

cain
08-01-2008, 05:29 AM
I grabbed Underworld: Evolution in 480p last night - worked great.

Andy, you're right (of course) the better quality stuff does not sync with the slider, but you can watch the whole thing.

rhmark
08-02-2008, 05:10 AM
A word of caution. The 3.0beta abruptly stopped working for me. It complained about "sorry, the registration code you entered is not valid." I can't revert to 2.3 either. All Media Catcher versions give the same error.

So you might want to steer clear of the 3.0beta if you have no problems with current sites.

cain
08-02-2008, 07:40 AM
A word of caution. The 3.0beta abruptly stopped working for me. It complained about "sorry, the registration code you entered is not valid." I can't revert to 2.3 either. All Media Catcher versions give the same error.

So you might want to steer clear of the 3.0beta if you have no problems with current sites.

You might want to enter a ticket on that - sounds system related (maybe UAC if in Vista.)

For me, 3.0ß has been an improvement, overall. I still have problems with longer captures from Hulu (when it buffers or seeks to the last position and multiple streams are being recorded.)

One at a time has worked great with multiple movies captured.

rhmark
08-02-2008, 12:00 PM
According to Applian, RegNow flagged my purchase as fraudulent and issued a refund. Upon being notified that I had been issued a refund, Applian deactivated my registration code. Searching Google for
site:regnow.com customer service fraud
reveals this happens to many software vendors and customers. It can be for reasons as simple as ordering from an IP address does not match the GeoLocation of the purchaser.

You will note that Applian turned off my software without warning or question or notification. RegNow did not e-mail me either. They just issued a refund which of course won't be actually posted for 3 - 5 business days. Just *poof* no more Replay Media Catcher.

Any courtesy such as an e-mail and a short delay from Applian would have resulted in my giving another card number, calling RegNow, or e-mailing something like verifyatregnow (close to the real RegNow address of an e-mail accout set up exactly for verification of questionable purchases). I would have done the same thing anyone does when the clerk says "It didn't go through." You give the clerk a handful of credit cards and tell her to keep trying. But of course I would have had the use of the software for an extra day or two before it was shut off and we can't have that.

So now you know. Your Applian software can be turned off at a moments notice and it will be up to you to track down the reason.

Forget the part about fraud. Those things happen and there are better and worse ways to handle credit transactions and protect the merchant and consumer.

Wonder whatever else e.g., natural or unnatural disaster, disgruntled employee, etc. that could happen to shut down the software too? *poof*

Tasha Heinlein
08-02-2008, 04:50 PM
I'm not sure how the "fraudulent purchase" notification would work, because that is not the department that I work in. I do think it is quite unfair to put this in the same category as "a disgruntled employee". I'm sure it was quite frustrating when your software stopped working. If you opened a ticket with customer service were they able to help you resolve this issue in a timely manner?

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein

rhmark
08-03-2008, 05:29 AM
Wasn't trying to disparage any current Applian employee.

This was to remind others that if software can be disabled remotely for legitimate reasons, it can also be disabled for other illegitimate reasons. Examples were natural disaster (knocking out the verification server) or a disgruntled employee (with a grudge intentionally hurting Applian by damaging its customers.) These are common scenarios leveled against software developers who use these types of remote verification.

Another example is a lawsuit from Viacom against ISP's that include injunctive relief to disable traffic to and from Applian because Apllian facilitates some perceived infringement.

These are examples that have actually happened and caused software that was paid for to stop working.

Yes I opened a support ticket. That is how I got the reply from Applian that RegNow had told Applian the purchase was fraudulent and Applian had decided to turn off my software. That ticket is closed.

Thanks for the opportunity to air my grievance. Best of luck to you and Applian for the future.

applnfrmguy
08-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Well, rhmark never received a refund. The software was deleted. The registration key destroyed.

You made an enemy of a paying customer then closed the thread claiming a software update resolved the issue. Meh.

Thanks for the $39.95 price tag on Applian's integrity. A cheap lesson for all. Bill Dettering will be no doubt proud to read elsewhere of your stellar efforts.

Tasha Heinlein
08-06-2008, 05:22 PM
According to Applian, RegNow flagged my purchase as fraudulent and issued a refund.

So it seems that he did receive a refund. I believe that was the first thing he noted in his post. As for Leslie posting "solved" that was concerning the issue of Media Catcher not working with Hulu. I definitely see how that can be confusing and I'll suggest we refrain from doing that. Thank you!

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein

UPDATE:

Leslie went through and removed her "solved" posts. She was trying to make it easier for people to see that the original problem that started the thread was taken care of. Guess it didn't work out..live and learn :) P.S she is a forum newbie so let's cut her some slack!!!