PDA

View Full Version : Replay AV8 & BBC radio programs

LTA
07-28-2008, 01:31 AM
Until very recently, BBC archived radio programs used either WMP or Real Player to replay their programs. When using the Find URL feature of ReplayAV8 I was able to record a program. However, they have changed to using the BBC iPlayer and RAV does not pick up the URL ... has anybody encountered this problem & solved it? I know I can go back to Audio capture but I much prefer to use Stream capture.

Over to you guys & gals!! :)

Cheryl Wester
07-28-2008, 04:10 PM
They have changed the format and stream capture is not able to capture it. A suggestion is to use the Replay AV Audio Driver to capture it by using audio. Another suggestion is to try the Replay Media Catcher as it uses a different method of stream capturing.

http://www.applian.com/replay-media-catcher/

netcaf
07-29-2008, 06:36 AM
The Real streams are still there for all the shows but they're hard to find. The URL finder on Replay AV doesn't seem to pick up the stream address anymore, but if you already know it you can still use Replay AV for regular shows.

For example rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk:554/radio2/ross.ra will still pick up the latest Jonathan Ross show every week. I think they're going to keep the Real streams going for dial up and international users.

LTA
07-30-2008, 04:12 AM
Thanks Cheryl & Netcaf - your solutions are noted and have been applied. I hope Applian incorporate any changes into their base Replay AV product.
Happy listening!

GCM
08-25-2008, 09:37 AM
I like to record BBC radio programmes to burn to CD and listen to in the car on the (lengthy) way to and from work. I had been using some free software but this could only record one programme at a time. I was told about Replay A/V and its ability to capture several programmes at once using stream capture rather than audio capture. Splendid, I thought. I won't need to have the PC on for so long to record all the programmes, thereby reducing my carbon footprint (good, eh!). So, after some research (though obviously not enough), a few days ago I purchased Replay A/V. I struggled for a couple of days to get stream capture to work with the BBC iPlayer but with no success. Then I read this thread. Darn it! I have discovered that it might be possible to use stream capture by switching on the Dial-up modem version option but this would seem to necessitate installing the hideously intrusive Real Player, which I would rather not do. Of course, as noted earlier in this thread, I can simply revert to using audio capture but that gives me no significant benefit over the free software I was previously using. Does anyone know of a way round this problem; are Applian likely to issue a fix in the near future; or should I be considering applying for the 30-day money back offer?

Cheryl Wester
08-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Install version 10.5 of Real Player instead of 11. It is not like 11 and my preferred format. It shouldn't bother you too much. http://oldversion.com

Carolyn
08-31-2008, 04:16 PM
It is still possible to use stream capture on BBC7, HOWEVER, on conversion to either a windows media or iPOD audio book format all the sound is stripped out - the only format that keeps the sound is RealPlayer and so it can't be transferred to an iPod. Has anyone else found a way around this?

Cheryl Wester
09-01-2008, 07:25 AM
If you have Real Player 11 installed on your system please uninstall it and use Real Player 10.5 or Real Alternative. We have found that Real Player 11 does conflict with our program. You are able to find the other files at http://www.oldversion.com. If that does not correct the issue please let me know. Thanks.

JohnB
09-08-2008, 02:29 AM
Thanks GCM

>>I have discovered that it might be possible to use stream capture by switching on the Dial-up modem version option<<

Thanks so much for the tip - why did I not think of this myself? I works like a dream.

JohnB

netcaf
09-08-2008, 07:24 PM
http://beebotron.timeforabrew.com/

This site links to Real streams of all the BBC radio shows.

It's good for the time being but hopefully Applian will come up with a fix for ripping the new flash radio streams from the iPlayer.

Also I've noticed the new Replay Media Catcher now also picks up the Real streams which is a great development.

chetcope
09-28-2008, 02:32 PM
Netcaf wrote:
http://beebotron.timeforabrew.com/

This site links to Real streams of all the BBC radio shows.

It's good for the time being but hopefully Applian will come up with a fix for ripping the new flash radio streams from the iPlayer.

Also I've noticed the new Replay Media Catcher now also picks up the Real streams which is a great development.

=======================

A great link...Thanks! (They moved to a different site in mid Sept):
http://beebotron.org/
"This site provides rtsp RealAudio .ra and .rm streaming links for BBC Listen Again programs that the Beeb hides. It will let you listen to BBC radio broadcasts on smartphones, Pocket PCs, PDAs, and other mobile devices that the Beeb continue to refuse to support. It also works on PCs, Macs and pretty much anything else that supports RealAudio."

Here's their BBC Radio 4 Listen Again non-flash page (Real Player)
http://beebotron.org/public/iradio4.html

It's been suggested (eg by Cheryll in this thread) that we not use Real Player v 11. The BBC's Real Player v 10.5 works & it is spyware & ad free
http://www.bbc.co.uk/webwise/categories/plug/real/newreal.shtml?intro2

See this March '08 article by Steve Bass
"Is RealPlayer Badware? Grab This Free Replacement" [the BBC Real Player]
http://blogs.pcworld.com/tipsandtweaks/archives/006661.html

& this Feb '04 post from Boing Boing's Cory Doctorow is still apropro:
"How to get spyware-free RealPlayer through the BBC"
http://www.boingboing.net/2004/02/01/how-to-get-spywarefr.html
' An anonymous reader sez, "The BBC made a unique deal with Real Networks which disposes of their spyware tactics. Basically, if a user clicks on a link to download Real Player from a BBC website, the referrer script sends them to a page where they can download an expiry-free, spyware-free and nuisance-free version of the player. It's because the BBC have such a stringent public service remit, that it was offensive to charge people a license fee for BBC content, then make them pay all over again for the facility to view/listen to it." (Thanks, Anonymous Reader!)'

C

Hellz
11-08-2008, 06:23 AM
Hi all
I've read all this thread (several times!) but am still not sure how to make this work. I've been happily using Replay AV to record BBC Radio 4 plays etc, convert to MP3 & copy into my iTunes library. As you know, this no longer works. I have now installed Real Player 10.5 & checked out the Beebotron site, but am no clearer as to how to update my Replay A/V settings to get back to the seamless process I was using before. Do I need to upgrade to Replay Media Catcher? I'm loathe to spend more money when I really don't need its video capabilities!

Can anyone help with an 'idiot guide' as I am really missing my Radio 4 fix?!

LTA
11-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Hi GCM

When I said RAV doesnt pick up the BBC radio streams I meant only those for the "play again" facility. I happily records hours of good stuff from BBC 7 daily using a broadband connection with RAV using the "record now" or timing facilities of RAV & streaming. It is an excellent product. Having said that I have recently encountered a slight problem on the conversion from WMA to MP3 which the tech desk are on to and a fix is awaited.

Happy listening

Hellz
11-09-2008, 04:21 AM
Maybe that's the issue. I'd been happily recording (on timer) for months, but then it suddenly stopped adding the recordings to iTunes altho they still seem to be recorded in rm. I think the url for BBC R4 programmes changed, so I reset all the programming, but still it doesn't usually work - but then occasionally one does (2 out of a scheduled 15 this week)!

Sounds like you are suggesting I need to wait for the conversion fix, so fingers crossed that's on its way. Thx for the feedback.

Mike Berry
11-24-2008, 12:17 PM
If you have Real Player 11 installed on your system please uninstall it and use Real Player 10.5 or Real Alternative. We have found that Real Player 11 does conflict with our program. You are able to find the other files at http://www.oldversion.com. If that does not correct the issue please let me know. Thanks.

That is good advice. But I think the problem is that the BBC have switched to using the BBC iPlayer, and it that change that has prevented A/V from detecting the URL.

Is Applian working on this issue?

Cheryl Wester
11-24-2008, 06:14 PM
When you play something, it defaults to "Dial-up modem version: OFF" within the BBC iPlayer Radio Console. If you click on this, to turn it "ON", you will then find it streams the same stuff, but in a form AV8 can identify. The iPlayer Radio Console remembers how it was last left in this manner. So now within AV8 use the URL Finder under Tools, and go and play a Listen Again programme. It will open up as a RealPlayer feed and you can then see in it AV8 and save and name it as it always used to be done.

Mike Berry
11-27-2008, 10:11 AM
Thank you, Cheryl. I've tried that and it works perfectly. Problem solved!

george1953
12-06-2008, 06:32 AM
The only way I have been able to record Radio 2 with it converting to mp3 is on a computer using Windows 2000. I can not do it with XP or Vista as I am left with a blank recording after conversion. Will the new version of the applian software work?

Cheryl Wester
12-07-2008, 08:22 PM
We are aware that some people are having a difficult time converting an rm file. Our developer is working on this. If you uninstall Real Player and use Real Alternative (also a free player) you will find that the conversions do work.

viaccess
01-10-2009, 02:00 AM
Thank you, Cheryl. I've tried that and it works perfectly. Problem solved!It worked for me too - until now!

has the BBC changed anything, or have I me3ssed up my settings? Try as I may, I cannot now get Replay AV to recognise any BBC Listen Again stream, either with 'Dial-Up Modem Version' on or off!

netcaf
01-11-2009, 11:53 AM
The Dial Up modem thing seems broken.

A workaround is to click on the show you want then click 'Text Only' in the top left of the screen. Scroll down a bit and you'll see a link to play the show in Real Player which Replay AV is able to pick up.

I'm still hoping Applian can come up with a way to capture the higher quality mp3 streams. At the moment Replay Media Catcher always gets stuck around the 60MB mark.

Mike Berry
01-12-2009, 04:01 PM
Yep, it has stopped working for me as well. It is beginning to feel like a game of cat and mouse!

So, we are back to square one. Any more ideas, Cheryl?

devere
05-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Hi folks

Like others, I have noted that Replay Capture no longer works

I am finding no problem getting BBC iplayer to provide my base computer (though not my wireless one) to provide me the url in Replay AV using the finder tool and recording it.

However, my conversions of the file are COMPLETELY SILENT whether I convert in AV use the AV tool or use Replay converter independently.

I have Realplayer 11.1. Would this require that I return to Real Player 10.5??

While I used to have a Palm for portability, I would like to have either an mp3 or wma file for my phone

Anyone else have a similar experience

Cheryl Wester
05-17-2009, 11:25 PM
Please do try either Real Alternative or Real Player 10.5. There are some systems where our program and Real Player 11 have a conflict.

devere
05-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks Cheryl

The reversal worked like a charm and I am back to using capture with its conversion setup

Thanks for the fast response